Ducks! Okay, let’s talk.

25 minutes ago, Celandine said:

I’ve been eagerly getting my ducks ready to hide on my cruise May 2025! I haven’t done this before but excited to be part of the fun!  

So what you are saying is you are getting all your ducks in a row. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

On 3/4/2024 at 8:16 AM, 555 said:

What happens if you hide a duck on a Disney ship?

I think the duck thing is relatively new to Disney.  We have sailed with them since 1998 and do not recall ever hearing about ducks pre-Covid.  DCL considers the ducks a safety issue as there were reports of people placing them on lifeboat davits, near the anchor chains,  and some being found in the plumbing,  It is my understanding that if crew members find them they just throw them away. One person did report that she had a large bag of ducks that was confiscated by security before she boarded. 

4 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

The ones I have tasted so far were terrible. Not at all like peeps. 🤪

Are you saying that Peeps aren't terrible?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

Since more people are showing an interest in Hiding Cruising Ducks let me review the Rules.

Ducks can be hid any place on the Ship EXCEPT: No place that will interfere with the crew, with the operation of the ship, on the top deck, in the shops and differently not in any Pool. 

Good Hunting

Bob

I understand that the crew loves to collect these. Anyone decided to give them out to the crew rather than laying them around?

I just ordered from Amazon, Kathfly 60 Pcs Cruise Ducks Tag Kits include 20 Rubber Cruise Ducks for Cruise Ships, 20 Cruising Rubber Duck Tag Cards, 20 Rubber Bands for Hiding.

This will be my first time after 50 cruises, mostly on Princess, 37 now. 

Tom😁

• Like 3

When I first heard of this phenomenon I will be honest - I thought it was a little silly. But then we found a couple of cute little ducks on a cruise and I was so excited. It was an unexpectedly fun surprise. My son found one that accompanied him back to law school and became a little mascot on his desk. He said just looking at it reduced his stress on hard days. So really, something that is innocent fun and brings a little joy - what could be bad about that!

I found some destination related theme ducks for our cruise this summer and decided to order a few to hide. Why not join in the fun? 🦆 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2024 at 6:16 AM, 555 said:

What happens if you hide a duck on a Disney ship?

From the DCL prohibited items info:

• A Guest may bring rubber ducks onboard. However, pool toys (e.g., rubber ducks) cannot be used in the pools.

Note: Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:32 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I’m beginning to cave as my DH loves those little ducks and has found quite a few of them.  It’s almost like collecting throws at a Mardi Gras parade. 
The crew absolutely love the collecting the ducks.  
However, I want to see these little ducks made out of bird seed or at least something that won’t cause any trouble in our environment! 

I understand wishing for a more sustainable alternative. But seeing as cruises come from all over the world, it would also be important to make sure they don't pose a bio-hazard risk. Which would rule out seeds, or people will be getting their finds confiscated by boarder control on the trip home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Note: Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas.

Like that's not going to happen. 😄

I don't love the ducks, and I have zero reason for that. It's just not something I see the point of for myself. I do appreciate that other people find big joy in them, and that part is nice. I like for people to have fun! So rest assured that if I ever see any ducks (funny enough, I've never found one!) I will leave it to be found by someone who will be thrilled by it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Just wondering how many of them end up in the ocean?  There’s enough plastic trash in there already.

I mean how much of anything on board ends up in the ocean? No shortage of plastic anything on board that people could chuck overboard.  Not really a duck issue but a human behavior issue.  I feel like the cruise lines are pretty good about discouraging people from throwing anything overboard and I can't say I've ever seen anyone do it, but I'm sure it happens. I was guilty of throwing some broken pieces of crackers off my balcony when the ship was being circled by hundreds of seagulls once. Probably still a no-no but I'll throw myself on the mercy of the court for that infraction it was a pretty cool thing to see.  Those were caught and consumed long before they reached the water lol

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bassmk said:

I don't love the ducks, and I have zero reason for that. It's just not something I see the point of for myself. I do appreciate that other people find big joy in them, and that part is nice. I like for people to have fun! So rest assured that if I ever see any ducks (funny enough, I've never found one!) I will leave it to be found by someone who will be thrilled by it.

I'm much the same. I'm not interested in finding or hiding ducks. But it makes me happy to know other people are enjoying it and I do like hearing the stories of those who hiding and hunt for them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 555 said:

Like that's not going to happen. 😄

This is a recent change.  They've had issues with ducks clogging the plumbing, and ending up in places they don't belong.  It's my understanding that the crew is directed to pick up any they see to be disposed of properly.