Tuxedoes

Not very common.  I always brought my Tux on our HAL cruises until the last 5 years (just prior to COVID).  At one time I think about 1/3 of the med would wear tuxes on the formal nights (which they no longer have) and at least another 1/3 wear dark suits.  These days, I feel very comfy just dragging along a blazer.  

Hank

• Like 1

I cruised on HAL in 2018 on a cruise that was longer than ten days. No one wore a tux, about half the men wore jackets and the rest of us wore collared shirts and trousers.

15 hours ago, H.A.L. LOVER said:

Do men still wear tuxes on Holland Americian cruises that are 10 days or longer?

Yes.   Probably 3-5 pct -   The longer the cruise - more tuxes.   Grand Voyages have formal nights where tux or suit is required.  

• Like 1

While tuxes are fewer these days, it can very much depend on the ship’s itinerary.  For example in the Caribbean - there would be few to none.

On a European cruise depending on the passenger demographics you will see more and, at the very least, passengers dressed more elegantly overall IME.

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not very common.  I always brought my Tux on our HAL cruises until the last 5 years (just prior to COVID).  At one time I think about 1/3 of the med would wear tuxes on the formal nights (which they no longer have) and at least another 1/3 wear dark suits.  These days, I feel very comfy just dragging along a blazer.  

Hank

That's a pretty accurate assessment. The only thing I would add is that I wear both a jacket and pants. While people are less dressy today, I try to never go full Pooh Bear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That's a pretty accurate assessment. The only thing I would add is that I wear both a jacket and pants. While people are less dressy today, I try to never go full Pooh Bear.

fe3d47da2c96edc9aae73a805ea09c3b.gif

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, H.A.L. LOVER said:

Do men still wear tuxes on Holland Americian cruises that are 10 days or longer?

Some will, but women always:

dietrichtuxedox633_0.thumb.jpg.41ca9251ee62ea529bb4b51e97798cab.jpg

• Like 3

On a 34-day transpacific there were a few men (1%?) wearing tuxes on dressy night, including our table mate.  On the other hand, my brother-in-law wears a t-shirt imprinted with a tuxedo on it.

Long ago, my DH resisted cruising because he didn't want to dress for dinner.  He wore a suit and tie to work and he did not want that on vacation.  We took our first cruise in 2006 and really enjoyed it. Several cruises later he bought a tux and I got my first long gown in years.  We love late fixed dinner and dressing up. On a British cruise we enjoyed the gentlemen in kilts on dressy night.  Last fall he took his tux on our Holland Norway/Baltic cruise (21 days) and wore it a couple of times and a table mate wore his once while the other male at our table didn't even have a sport coat. It was fine.  Not a lot wore tuxes but DH enjoyed it.  Airline luggage restrictions are an issue. If you want to wear one, it's fine. If not, it's okay too. 

• Like 3