Sun Princess

34 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

We always book rooms deck 8 mid ship on the bump out on the Royal class ship and have not had problems.  So “what makes me think this will be much different”?  I never had a problem with it on deck 8 mid ship on the bump out.  That’s why.  But thanks for your input…

We have always booked deck 9 on Royal class and have been fine also but the piazza setup is different on the Sun. They are using it as a major entertainment area. I’m hopeful but will see and do agree there has not been a flood of room noise complaints so maybe it’s not going to be an issue.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Globaler said:

We have always booked deck 9 on Royal class and have been fine also but the piazza setup is different on the Sun. They are using it as a major entertainment area. I’m hopeful but will see and do agree there has not been a flood of room noise complaints so maybe it’s not going to be an issue.

We booked mid-ship (one of the sphere balcony rooms) on deck 11 on the Sun so it does have one floor of rooms below us before the first public floor so that's a plus.  We love mid ship and lower floors since we like to take the stairs to the public areas. Our cruise isn't until Fall 2025 so I'm sure we'll hear reports by then. But if not, I'll definitely share our experience so others can have feedback. 

Edited by mthomp5

6 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

We booked mid-ship (one of the sphere balcony rooms) on deck 11 on the Sun so it does have one floor of rooms below us before the first public floor so that's a plus.  We love mid ship and lower floors since we like to take the stairs to the public areas. Our cruise isn't until Fall 2025 so I'm sure we'll hear reports by then. But if not, I'll definitely share our experience so others can have feedback. 

We are on deck 10 on 6/8 so I’ll report when I get back.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just been reading some of first cruisecritic reviews for Sun Princess and feedback is as expected in most cases. 

One point was made about missing venues like a chapel and a library but also an art gallery. No dedicated space on the deck plan and there don't appear to be any art auctions advertised in the patters! 

Another interesting nugget was that there are apparently free lobster rolls for lunch at “The Catch by Rudi’” and they are loaded with lobster. I guess they mean these are available at the stations in that area of the Eatery?  Can anyone confirm?

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only drink that I have seen available is coffee right before buffet opens. Other drinks are in pitchers poured by staff during serving hours. I think they open at 0600. I asked several servers about drinks at night and only got vague answers about using International cafe. 

Edited by merryjewelhound
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 4:34 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Spellbound just appearing in list of dinning options!!  But it says “coming soon” and if you try to pick a time slot it has all options 20 minutes apart which we know is not right. There will be 3 seatings a night.

I’ll keep you all posted.  

Would love to know what the meal menu is in this package.  Please and thank you for any help.

I don't know how often the Sun will stop at Santorini, but the lines are crazy long for the Gondola (the lift) and the donkey rides. There are 2 smaller ships here also.

Violinist is practicing right now and on 10 in the hallway near the elevators I could faintly hear him. But this would be very subjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

I don't know how often the Sun will stop at Santorini, but the lines are crazy long for the Gondola (the lift) and the donkey rides. There are 2 smaller ships here also.

Once Sun Princess starts the regular summer 21-night itinerary (bookable in seven night segments), it will be at Santorini once every three weeks on the Tuesday after it departs Civitavecchia (Rome). We're on it out of Rome on 4/27 and are the only ship scheduled to be there that day.

15 hours ago, dides said:

Just been reading some of first cruisecritic reviews for Sun Princess and feedback is as expected in most cases. 

One point was made about missing venues like a chapel and a library but also an art gallery. No dedicated space on the deck plan and there don't appear to be any art auctions advertised in the patters! 

Another interesting nugget was that there are apparently free lobster rolls for lunch at “The Catch by Rudi’” and they are loaded with lobster. I guess they mean these are available at the stations in that area of the Eatery?  Can anyone confirm?

Is this a pay lunch at Catch by Rudi? Pr is this a lunch extension from. The Eatery where people can go there for their buffet lunch? Thx.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, seapad said:

Is this a pay lunch at Catch by Rudi? Pr is this a lunch extension from. The Eatery where people can go there for their buffet lunch? Thx.

Don't know so looking for more information as I love lobster and my other half won't do a full meal at Catch by Rudi  - the exact words in the review were: An unadvertised benefit- free lobster rolls for lunch at “the catch by Rudy’s” and they are loaded with lobster.

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, mynexttrip said:

I am booked on the May 11 sailing for 14 days and I was able to book the Spellbound for 6:30. Was a challenge with the slowness on the app. Warning, make sure you choose the right date as I messed up and then cancelled one. However now I don’t have the credit on my credit card. Did the chat but they don’t see the extra charge so hoping it comes through tomorrow.  Very excited about our trip and trying the ocean view on this ship as Royal class didn’t have that category. 

I am checking the app and I don't see Spellbound as an option.  I am also on the Sun May 11.

• Like 1

Just now, ILUVHOCKEY said:

I am checking the app and I don't see Spellbound as an option.  I am also on the Sun May 11.

It's appeared for one night only and disappeared. Could be they made a mistake and will have to correct after the weekend. This happened before with early Love by Britto bookings when everyone received a refund.

• Like 1

More feedback from my teen who is on the current sailing:

- Captains Circle Elite/Platinum Party was held in the Dome. It was very busy/loud but they were able to get seats and won one of 3 door prizes (model ship).

- Ship still doesn't feel overly crowded but the layout is very different to other Princess ships (my teen has been on well over 30 Princess cruises and knows the ships well but says she is constantly getting lost on this one)

- Got nails done at the spa. This is a tradition on every sailing and there has always been a teen manicure package. Not on this ship. $100USD later...

- She got a $9 bar charge appear on her account (hope they didn't serve her the alcohol the charge was for...lol) She used the crew chat on the app and the charge was removed within half hour

- Santorini today. They had priority tenders so no issue getting off but huge line to get back on! Big line for gondola - they did wait to take it up, but walked down. Very windy today!

- Elite laundry was sent out and returned within 48 hours. Charge removed same day.

- Alfredos was excellent (though she got spoiled with real Italian pizza) but disappointed that her fave veal pasta is no longer offered

_ Still no complaints so I'm taking this as a win!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

22 hours ago, dides said:

No art gallery? I never understood the appeal of those auctions, but I assumed Princess earned a lot of money from them. 

Just now, Pixelskaya said:

No art gallery? I never understood the appeal of those auctions, but I assumed Princess earned a lot of money from them. 

Yes it is curious. Although they do have the Love by Britto link to art, it's not the same as one of those lucrative Park West type arrangements!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Once Sun Princess starts the regular summer 21-night itinerary (bookable in seven night segments), it will be at Santorini once every three weeks on the Tuesday after it departs Civitavecchia (Rome). We're on it out of Rome on 4/27 and are the only ship scheduled to be there that day.

We'll be in Santorini on 11th June, and are 1 of 5 ships there that day!, with a combined maximum passenger total of 15,182 (+crew on their breaks?). Yikes! 🥹

Hopefully with such a bottleneck, crew are banned from going ashore in that port.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, StevenW said:

We'll be in Santorini on 11th June, and are 1 of 5 ships there that day!, with a combined maximum passenger total of 15,182 (+crew on their breaks?). Yikes! 🥹

Hopefully with such a bottleneck, crew are banned from going ashore in that port.

I’ll be one of those 15k 😳
I signed up for the ship excursion that should get me off the boat a little quicker but getting back on will be a cluster!

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenW said:

For the Tram the bottleneck will be mostly other passengers for all of the ships in port.  The crew would make up a relatively small percentage.  Probably less than 5% compared to the mass of passengers.  The biggest problem will be on the return, since a number of passengers from all of the ships will take excursions, that usually leave from the other port where buses can get to the port.  However almost all return through the tram location.  That makes the afternoon return going down much more crowded then the arrival going up.  

Last time I was there in October (4 ships in port) maybe 12,000 total the line in the afternoon was out the building and down the street a block or so.  The crew would most likely not be in that line since they have shift that they need to return for and must be onboard a half hour earlier.  Fortunately on that day I was on a 50 passenger ship that arrived at 3pm when the passengers for the big ships was leaving town and the upward tram was empty.  We left at 11pm and our tram down was also empty.  Santorini during the day with large ships is extremely crowded.  After those ships leave it is wonderful.