Sun Princess

3 hours ago, dog said:

I get it.

I pretty well have stopped reading the negatives and focus on the beautiful photos.  Never say never.

Whenever a new ship is rolled out I’m beginning to wonder if people purposely go on them to be the first to complain.

Royal Princess got slated over the central staircase.

Celebrity Edge had moaners about the infinity balconies and no library!

Sun Princess is in MHO a wonderful ship.

My gripe however, and this may be a deal breaker for some!

No chocolates on the pillows each night and no mints as you leave the MDR 😉😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

I thought the same thing after our cruise on the Sun.  Even with the price almost being double now and all the changes that have been discussed, I booked another cruise on the Sun for Oct 2026.  Sandwiched in, Rotterdam in July 25 and MSC YC out of Galveston December 25.   

I agree with you and laud your good taste in choosing HAL and MSC YC (we're doing a Sun NStatendam, Seascape YC sandwhich in Jan 25.

The change in Sun Pricing did disappoint because we initially thought it may compete in fare with MSC YC and looks like it is now going after X Retreat although hard to say where things will end up. Still, very excited also about upcoming trip but the apparent confusion and changes at roll out do cause one to wonder 'what's next'.

• Like 1

For the ship geeks out there - here is a recent video of a lifeboat exercise on Sun Princess whilst docked in Cartagena. Kind of fascinating watching the lifeboat being hoisted back on board!.  

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 6:54 PM, Wishing on a star said:

I am looking forward to sailing on the Sun!!!   Booked a long time ago.

But, judging by the things that we have loved and appreciated about Princess, and how they are now very obviously lacking on the Sun....   Along with all of the other things that are just not okay with Princess lately....   I don't see sailing on the SUN in the future.

I posted my review and it was less than stellar - however, a cruise is what you make of it. I have found that price, ports and entertainment can make for a great cruise. Hope you have a good trip!

• Like 1

We're going on the Sun over Christmas & New Years to the Caribbean just to experience this new ship, but my concern with this trend of MEGA ships is something that was brought up earlier (briefly) by Wishing on a star, Where will these huge ships with thousands of cruisers be able to port?  We're already seeing many ports limiting how many ships they allow to dock, some are refusing cruise ships completely, and if this is where Princess wants to focus their fleet we might just be circling around instead of docking anywhere.  The 2-week itinerary we are on only has 3 ports for week 1 & week 2 also has 3 ports (if you count Princess Cay so really only 2).  Alaska is getting overwhelmed as are many other ports especially in places with small populations.  So who is making these decisions to just keep getting bigger & bigger?

9 minutes ago, happy42cruise said:

We're going on the Sun over Christmas & New Years to the Caribbean just to experience this new ship, but my concern with this trend of MEGA ships is something that was brought up earlier (briefly) by Wishing on a star, Where will these huge ships with thousands of cruisers be able to port?  We're already seeing many ports limiting how many ships they allow to dock, some are refusing cruise ships completely, and if this is where Princess wants to focus their fleet we might just be circling around instead of docking anywhere.  The 2-week itinerary we are on only has 3 ports for week 1 & week 2 also has 3 ports (if you count Princess Cay so really only 2).  Alaska is getting overwhelmed as are many other ports especially in places with small populations.  So who is making these decisions to just keep getting bigger & bigger?

Since you'll be in the Caribbean during Christmas you won't find the hostility towards cruise ships like Europe. There are a few of the smaller islands that don't appreciate them but all but a few of the smaller cruise ship can stop there.  

17 hours ago, 555 said:

Since you'll be in the Caribbean during Christmas you won't find the hostility towards cruise ships like Europe. There are a few of the smaller islands that don't appreciate them but all but a few of the smaller cruise ship can stop there.  

That's good!

On 8/20/2024 at 10:23 PM, Esprit said:

Celebrity Edge had moaners about the infinity balconies and no library!

This is why I am sailing Princess on my next cruise.  I prefer a balcony over an open/close window  😉  Others have left Celebrity for the same. We have choices.  And some choices are better than others...

Edited by NMTraveller

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This is why I am sailing Princess on my next cruise.  I prefer a balcony over an open/close window  😉  Others have left Celebrity for the same. We have choices.  And some choices are better than others...

I was wondering about the seemingly lack of balconies on some of the Celebrity ships and was thinking that there were windows instead.  Is that what they were?

3 hours ago, Grego said:

I was wondering about the seemingly lack of balconies on some of the Celebrity ships and was thinking that there were windows instead.  Is that what they were?

Yes they are open/close windows.  When you open the window the A/C goes off in the room.  They are large windows,  but not up to a balcony IMHO.  They do put chairs inside of the room and call it an Infinite Veranda 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes they are open/close windows.  When you open the window the A/C goes off in the room.  They are large windows,  but not up to a balcony IMHO.  They do put chairs inside of the room and call it an Infinite Veranda 🤣

They're ok on a cool/cold weather cruise. We had one for a TA and it was nice to have it open at night. That being said, I will never do one of those again. 

On 8/18/2024 at 1:48 PM, Wishing on a star said:

This is SO true!!!!   Cruising has gotten too big for it's own good.

And even MORE gargantuan ultra mega ships on order.

Where are they all going to PORT?  (yes, this is a serious consideration at this point)

It is almost insane!!!!

I am one of those who has not liked the way Princess has been going about changing and updating their ships and their product.  NOT because I am one of those who is resistant to change...  But it is the total lack of insight and incompetence.   Here is an example to clarify.  Sure, fast food has changed.  They have more extensive menus. But, when you go to McDonald's you can get a Big Mac and Fries.  When you go to Burger King you still have their Whopper.    The basics that appeal, and are tried and true.  (Sorry to those here who would not touch a Big Mac or Whopper!!!   Just a universally understood example!)

Princess has abandoned huge parts of their cruising model and identity that are things that appealed to many, and attracted all of the Princess Cruisers, like us, and made them successful.    

Instead of improving and adding on, they are making changes that affect these basic things.

You can't put mustard and hot sauce on a Big Mac and it still be a true Big Mac.

when P started eliminating either Vines or Crooners - that was the beginning of the downfall

and sorry, if I asked this before, maybe even in this thread, but what are the current arts and crafts on the Ship?  please don't let it be limited to origami 

On 8/26/2024 at 4:49 AM, happy42cruise said:

We like having a newer ship that is also larger because it generally offers more things to do (not looking for roller coasters, wave pools, ice skating rinks, slides although I can see where this is attractive for families). Getting on a small 'luxury ship' just doesn't float our boat.

Princess spacing per passenger:

Cruise Ship Gross Tonnage Double Capacity Space/Pass Ratio
Caribbean Princess 112,894 3,142 35.93
Crown Princess 113,561 3,080 36.87
Emerald Princess 113,561 3,080 37.87
Ruby Princess 113,561 3,080 36.87
Enchanted Princess 141,000 3,660 38.52
Discovery Princess 141,000 3,660 38.52
Sky Princess 143,700 3,660 39.26
Royal Princess 141,000 3,560 39.61
Regal Princess 142,229 3,560 39.95
Majestic Princess 143,700 3,560 40.37
Sun Princess 175,000 4,300 40.81
Grand Princess 107,517 2,600 41.35
Island Princess 92,822 2,200 42.19
Diamond Princess 115,875 2,670 43.4
Sapphire Princess 115,875 2,670 43.4
Coral Princess 91,627 2,000 45

Space is failrly similar old to new even with Sun where those with suites will have a lot of dedicated areas, ie. more space. I've been on many of the above ships and none stick in mind as having 'more or less space'. It partialy depends on where you hang out on the ship.

The reason the cruise lines are gravitating to bigger ships is that they generally are more efficient. The new ships also have a honeymoon factor where higher cabin prices are generated. 

The overcrowding of ports isn't an issue until local governments make it an issue like Venice. But the cruiselines are quick to find new substitute ports. The size of  new ships also acts as a restriction to many ports. As some have noted, ports in Caribbean are not important to many as they have been to most. It is a warm weather getaway where the ship is the destination.

Holland has three 'new' ships (Pinnacle Class) which are under 100,000 tons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

We like having a newer ship that is also larger because it generally offers more things to do (not looking for roller coasters, wave pools, ice skating rinks, slides although I can see where this is attractive for families). Getting on a small 'luxury ship' just doesn't float our boat.

Space is failrly similar old to new even with Sun where those with suites will have a lot of dedicated areas, ie. more space. I've been on many of the above ships and none stick in mind as having 'more or less space'. It partialy depends on where you hang out on the ship.

The reason the cruise lines are gravitating to bigger ships is that they generally are more efficient. The new ships also have a honeymoon factor where higher cabin prices are generated. 

The overcrowding of ports isn't an issue until local governments make it an issue like Venice. But the cruiselines are quick to find new substitute ports. The size of  new ships also acts as a restriction to many ports. As some have noted, ports in Caribbean are not important to many as they have been to most. It is a warm weather getaway where the ship is the destination.

The over crowding of ports is an issue because of the impact on the experience.

The experience is vastly different when over crowded.  Ports are vastly different with 3000 passengers than 15000. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

The over crowding of ports is an issue because of the impact on the experience.

The experience is vastly different when over crowded.  Ports are vastly different with 3000 passengers than 15000. 

I agree but the outcome is the same whether there are 3 5000 pax ships in port or 5 3000 pax ships. Frankly hard to remember any port visited in the past years (Europe/ Alsaka/ Caribbean) that was not 'port challenged'. Some days are better than others but even one mid sized ship in port can make a discernible difference in how one experiences a port.

1 minute ago, chisoxfan said:

I agree but the outcome is the same whether there are 3 5000 pax ships in port or 5 3000 pax ships. Frankly hard to remember any port visited in the past years (Europe/ Alsaka/ Caribbean) that was not 'port challenged'. Some days are better than others but even one mid sized ship in port can make a discernible difference in how one experiences a port.

Unfortunately cruising is rapidly turning from a way to easily visit land destinations, into you better like the ship, because you do not want to visit the destinations during cruise season.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 5:49 AM, happy42cruise said:

Bigger ships is where the majority of the main stream lines are leaning.  You can put the blame squarely at the foot of Royal because of their success over the years with the Oasis Class ships and now with the prices that they are getting for the Icon Class.  

The World Class ships built by MSC (205) as well as the future classes in the pipeline by both Carnival as well as NCL are all ships between 225-230 K tons.

The Sphere Class of Princess is based on the same platform as three ships from the Carnival Excel Class as well as two from P&O and one from Costa, all based around 180 K tons.

Between the various lines there are a plethora of choices between small, medium and large ships each visiting various ports, but the mega ships are the ones that are currently the most profitable so that's where the lines are placing their bets to redeem themselves from the billions that was bled away during the shutdown.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 3:29 PM, chisoxfan said:

Disagree with this.
Sun Princess was dire in terms of things to do. Worst I've ever been on.
Yet some of the smaller ships, less than 3000 passengers, have had so many things to do, there wasnt enough time to do them.
Thats a ship you want to get back on because you missed out...whereas the Sun has nothing else to show me.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Disagree with this.
Yet some of the smaller ships, less than 3000 passengers, have had so many things to do, there wasnt enough time to do them.
Thats a ship you want to get back on because you missed out...whereas the Sun has nothing else to show me.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the offerings the ship provided. The copies of the daily patter I've seen showed a complete day of stuff to do even on the port days when most are not onboard to take part.  We always felt after our over 65 voyages that if we didn't have a great time it was more our fault than it was the ship's.

Maybe you could help everyone by providing a list of stuff you didn't find to do that you saw on smaller ships.  This would be a great service and a positive approach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Disagree with this.

What exactly were you expecting to find? 

Just curious. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Disagree with this.

Sorry your cruise was so awful. Having never been on the Sun my comment was general and personal in that we like newer and larger ships.  I would not say a 2500-3000 passenger ship is small and I was referring to some of the 'luxury' lines that have ships in the 50-80,000 ton size.

Larger ships have more restaurants, bars, pools, shows, and in the case of the Sun, dedicated space for suite guests. Whether one cares to try these venues or enjoys them is another matter. Frankly, during a one week cruise on a mid-large ship (over 125,000 tons) we usually have difficulty sampling everything we have an interest in doing even when we don't get off the ship.

As others have commented, information on specific things you found unattractive about the Sun is always welcome and considered.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Press release covers all the upcoming restaurant changes + the new name for Park 19, SkyDeck Sports Court & Track (though it doesn't release any details about what will be there).

https://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/news-section/more-news-category/10869-princess-announces-several-restaurant-changes-for-sun-princess

---

• Thanks 1