Unlimited open bar package

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

they push a little bar around, pretty cool, keep an eye out for them.

i honestly can't tell if you're joking, but i have never in my entire cruise career, seen a "roving bartender"... at the buffet or elsewhere. i have seen - at parties and events - a fully staffed portable bar set up in a corner (or corners) of the room. never have i seen a bartender wandering throughout the buffet, presumably with some sort of cart, as if he was a street peddler selling italian ices or pretzels or hot dogs.

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’ll have to look into those Yeti things. Might be a solution to my drink package. 😉👍

I'm not a water drinker, so I am bringing some Gatorade flavor packs with me, hoping I will drink more.  Plan on a yeti type mug as well, to use in the cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i honestly can't tell if you're joking, but i have never in my entire cruise career, seen a "roving bartender"... at the buffet or elsewhere. i have seen - at parties and events - a fully staffed portable bar set up in a corner (or corners) of the room. never have i seen a bartender wandering throughout the buffet, presumably with some sort of cart, as if he was a street peddler selling italian ices or pretzels or hot dogs.

I have seen them, but they serve coffee and juices, not alcohol.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No sugar? 

Where's the fun in that? 😵‍💫

Oh, trust me, this is delicious! But don’t tell anyone else. 😉 I quite literally buy it by the dozen-box case.

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

I’ve only seen it on a Carnival cruise.  In the main dining room.  Found it tacky.  I don’t need a roving bartender.  Going to the bar in the buffet for my morning Bloody Mary works for me.  

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

i'll bite.

what's a roving bartender?

i'm not sure i've ever seen one, although i'm not sure i would know one if one was standing (or roving) in front of me.

is this a bartender who "roves" from table to table, much like a mariachi band, inquiring if anybody is thirsty?

There are plenty of servers roving the buffet asking if you want beverages.  If you ask for a mixed drink or a beer or a wine, then why not call them roving bartenders?

11 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There are plenty of servers roving the buffet asking if you want beverages.  If you ask for a mixed drink or a beer or a wine, then why not call them roving bartenders?

I’d call them servers, not bartenders.

it appears that the "roving bartenders" have now become "roving servers."

do they still "push a little bar around," as previously described? or has that now gone, too?

never - not once - have i ever been asked by a buffet attendant if i wanted a drink on any ship, NCL or otherwise. most people understand that it's not really the buffet attendant's job to take orders for drinks or deliver them, as matter of course.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, UKstages said:

do they still "push a little bar around," as previously described? or has that now gone, too?

never - not once - have i ever been asked by a buffet attendant if i wanted a drink on any ship, NCL or otherwise. most people understand that it's not really the buffet attendant's job to take orders for drinks or deliver them, as matter of course.

But what if you tip them? And if you were to tip them, how much should they be tipped, or is the tip already covered in the pre paid 20% gratuity, and of course if said “roving bartender” were to receive such a tip/bribe/grat, is he obliged to share it with the barman that pours the drink for him, or any officer that may be present that supervises either the pour or the delivery to my table? 😄

Just asking for a friend 

Edited by Manchester is blue

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

We OTOH have found it quite common to be asked if we wanted a drink.  Almost everytime we sat down in fact.

24 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

But what if you tip them? And if you were to tip them, how much should they be tipped, or is the tip already covered in the pre paid 20% gratuity, and of course if said “roving bartender” were to receive such a tip/bribe/grat, is he obliged to share it with the barman that pours the drink for him, or any officer that may be present that supervises either the pour or the delivery to my table? 😄

Just asking for a friend 

Why does that matter?

Once you decide to give a tip, it's out of your  hands and none of  your business what happens to the tip.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why does that matter?

Once you decide to give a tip, it's out of your  hands and none of  your business what happens to the tip.

Well I was just thinking the roving bartender should at least share some of the tip with the officer that supervised the barman pouring the drink. 
The officer may not be part of the pooled pot from which tips are shared, yet he diligently supervised the pour, ensuring it arrived promptly at my table in order that I may pay the tip/grat/bribe. 
If, say I tipped the roving bartender, say 5 pounds, would it be reasonable for the roving person to keep 3 quid to himself, and offer up say a quid to the officer and the other pound to the pouring barman. ? …. Hmm. Or should I tip in US $. I guess given the pound has a higher value they’d appreciate 5 quid more than 5 dollars, but that may also depend on charges to convert the currency if they so chose to convert… hmm. What do you think ? To tip or not to tip the roving barman …if such a person exists…

3 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

Well I was just thinking the roving bartender should at least share some of the tip with the officer that supervised the barman pouring the drink. 

You're over-thinking about things that don't concern you.

Why do you even care what the 'roving bartender' might or might not do?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're over-thinking about things that don't concern you.

Why do you even care what the 'roving bartender' might or might not do?

😂😂😂. Thanks 👍🏼Youve given me a good laugh. I can’t keep it up any longer 😂😂

Edited by Manchester is blue

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We OTOH have found it quite common to be asked if we wanted a drink.  Almost everytime we sat down in fact.

you must have a lean and sober look about you.

Posted (edited)

you lead a charmed life.

or a fanciful one, full of tall tales and caviar dreams.

as someone who dwells in the reality-based community, i'm here to tell you that buffet attendants on cruise ships do not routinely approach diners as they are seated and take drink orders. it simply doesn't happen. will it happen every now and again? sure, particularly if you look like you might have mobility issues.

will they bring you a drink if you request one? 

most likely, yes. can you "train" them to take a drink order by tipping them once having established the practice? absolutely!

do they, as a matter of course, approach diners to take drink orders?

they do not.

it's not their job.

Edited by UKstages
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, UKstages said:

On MSC they set up portable bars our on the pool deck to take pressure off the regular bars. Seems like a great idea and surprised other lines don't do it more. Somewhat limited, but an easy set up. 

Posted (edited)

On both Royal and Celebrity we have had "attendants" come up to us in the buffet asking if we want an alcoholic drink.  Happens all the time, even in the morning (will ask if you want a mimosa, bloody, etc).  I'm honestly shocked there is a debate about this.  However, I will say our upcoming NCL cruise will be our first with NCL, so maybe it is something that just does not happen on NCL and those who have not seen it have not been on Royal or Celebrity.  But I can assure you, on those lines, there are people who go around the buffets asking if you want drinks.  Now, pushing a little cart?  That I have never seen, lol. 

Edited by Denny_Crane

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Happens all the time.

Never happened to me in all my cruises.  At least not that I recall.  I've asked the "bus person" to get a drink before, and they went and found a server/bartender to take my order.  

Usually, they are busy so I just get my lazy butt back out of the chair and go get it myself.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 11:51 AM, CM Cruise said:

Hi, we’re new to NCL.  It seems like almost everyone will have drinks included based on the deals offered. Does this make it difficult?  I’m imagining a huge crowd at every bar on the ship. 

I’m NOT referring to low season. Please don’t tell me how easy it is with half occupancy.  Think spring or early summer with a full ship. What’s it like?

Thanks. 

I find that while the bars are busy, they do a pretty good job to keep up. If you're looking for quicker service, try the bar in the buffet, or in Spice H20, or many of the smaller bars whatever deck (Deck 8 is most likely) has them all -- the specialty bars ... there's even one outside on some ships. They all still serve a wide array of drink even if it's a "wine bar" or a "mojito bar."

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 1:24 PM, bkrickles1 said:

Based on this post you should definitely cancel the beverage package.

Pay as you go. You'll never spend $545 if you adhere to your ordinary drinking habits.

Also, I wouldn't pay for the Flow Water either. The tap water is better and can be had in quite a few spots.

Well, after lots of hemming and hawing, that’s done. I’ll still get the Flow Water package, I think maybe it’s just the convenience of it all that has me fascinated. And I have a few unused cruise line beverage tumblers from past cruises to choose from that I can bring. I’m sure they sell them onboard too. Never hurts to have another ship souvenir. 😁

Was on the NCL Getaway March 7-17 and no way would any of the servers offer someone a drink of any kind in the buffet. They could barely keep up with just clearing tables so that people waiting can sit down. Complete chaos.

As for the drink package. I would be pissed if i was paying full price for most of the cocktails on the ship. They were rushed and poorly made overall. 

Maybe our ship was just too busy but the drinks were disappointing.