Celebrity really needs a Proof Reader

Jim_Iain

20 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

I can't think of a single situation where anything public-facing went out wrong with typographical errors, thanks to appropriate checks and balances in the design and publishing process.  I am sure it was possible but extremely rare.  However, these types of mistakes are not rare for Celebrity, which is why I suggested they employ a team to proof all communications.  

In this day and age when grammar and spelling are not taught in schools, and spell check is the editor of choice, what do you expect?  I doubt that Celebrity would spend big money on people who proof copy when they can't employ an IT department that makes their website run smoothly.  😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anyone here read novels?  Most authors including several best selling fiction writers in their comments at the end of the novel state to not write them about spelling or grammatical errors because someone else will have already written about the error.

A local author said she strives for zero errors.  Has never ever gotten there.  Usually one or two errors and a couple hundred readers let her know about every one.

To top it off I got a Pop Up Survey on the Celebrity Site today asking my opinion of their website.  I rated it about 1 across the board.  

At the bottom it had a box to explain your comments, name and e-mail.   Guess what--- I couldn't enter anything in the blocks......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

I used to write travel brochures and every year had a number of calls pointing out errors. My standard response was "sorry you weren't the first person to spot the deliberate mistake and you don't win the prize". 

One of my favorite, often repeated grammatical errors, is on Posters ( Bill Boards) which reads: 

SALE

LAST WEEK,

Why do I want to know about a sale that's finished?

7 hours ago, villauk said:

Have we crossed the pond in this thread 🧐?

the OP is an American so I was replying in the same "language". I have this issue every day as our English son is now an American citizen, our Grandson is 100% raised in America and our grandson's mum is 100% American. 

28 minutes ago, the penguins said:

the OP is an American so I was replying in the same "language". I have this issue every day as our English son is now an American citizen, our Grandson is 100% raised in America and our grandson's mum is 100% American. 

I believe you 😉😂.

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To top it off I got a Pop Up Survey on the Celebrity Site today asking my opinion of their website.  I rated it about 1 across the board.  

At the bottom it had a box to explain your comments, name and e-mail.   Guess what--- I couldn't enter anything in the blocks......

I got that as well Jim. I also like when a website/email asks you to just answer one question and when you go there it is a full survey.

*Interesting issue with another website*

Last week I tried to reach customer service for an appliance that is not working correctly. This is a major international company and i went through the proper channels (aka hoops) to  contact support and when I went to hit enter with my all of my information I got one of those captcha boxes, "click the images that have a bus in them." No luck. I really wanted to move this forward so I tried at least six times and it never worked. Just a big waste of my time and I still have the same issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the penguins said:

Posters ( Bill Boards) which reads: 

Speaking of bill posters my favorite is someone wrote across a sign that said Bill Posters Will Be Prosecuted, "Bill Posters is Innocent!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewgary said:

Speaking of bill posters my favorite is someone wrote across a sign that said Bill Posters Will Be Prosecuted, "Bill Posters is Innocent!"

I once read a novel about a guy called Bill Posters who spent his life dodging the police while he tried to find out what he was being prosecuted for. Can't remember the ending but it might be available on Kindle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

So you should be teaching the correct spelling instead of caving in 🤣

9 hours ago, the penguins said:

That would go down just great with our grandson's teachers in Dallas

Hello,

From somewhere I've picked-up the idea that English speakers of English cannot teach that in America to children under teen-age.

Fact or fiction?

Regards,

Cublet

28 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

From somewhere I've picked-up the idea that English speakers of English cannot teach that in America to children under teen-age.

Fact or fiction?

Regards,

Cublet

Oh dear "teen-age" another word/phrase we can't use. Our grandson insists he will be a "teen" in June not a "teenager". Oh yes and when I ask how he got on at Ice Hockey his standard reply is "it's just hockey Grandpa". 

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Oh dear "teen-age" another word/phrase we can't use. Our grandson insists he will be a "teen" in June not a "teenager". Oh yes and when I ask how he got on at Ice Hockey his standard reply is "it's just hockey Grandpa". 

Hello,

If I was being an old cynic and got that response, my presumption would be that he lost.

Regards,

Cublet

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

I agree with your grandson it is just Hockey.  But, Colour Labour Harbour is the correct way to spell. I would intentionally spell "Labour" our way when I would send financial reports to our US head office. Even as I type this auto correct putting the red squiggle under my words.

Regards 

Kevin Reid

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

If I was being an old cynic and got that response, my presumption would be that he lost.

Regards,

Cublet

Just that he doesn’t recognise Field Hockey so to him there is no need to add the “ice”. But yes he takes his hockey very seriously in fact so seriously that one day a week he leaves the house at 5.0 am for early morning goalie practice, plus evening training and matches. He was top of the league this season for the most Shut Outs and the best % saves to goal ratio and he will also play for any of the other local teams when they are short of a goalie.

Ok perhaps we are a little biased.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FRMPEI said:

I agree with your grandson it is just Hockey.  But, Colour Labour Harbour is the correct way to spell. I would intentionally spell "Labour" our way when I would send financial reports to our US head office. Even as I type this auto correct putting the red squiggle under my words.

Regards 

Kevin Reid

I'm Canadian, but I have to disagree with saying 'labour' is the  'correct' way to spell the word...it's not correct for the US.  I use 'ou' instead of the 'o' when sending any note or post to Americans as it's MY way to spell and I don't have to change because it's going to the US despite auto correct.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I'm Canadian, but I have to disagree with saying 'labour' is the  'correct' way to spell the word...it's not correct for the US.  I use 'ou' instead of the 'o' when sending any note or post to Americans as it's MY way to spell and I don't have to change because it's going to the US despite auto correct.

Hello,

I worked for a couple of petrochemical companies many years ago - before the days of email and the internet.

So one day a memo arrived castigating us over the spelling of the word 'tyre' and not 'tire'. But at the bottom of the memo was a line - printed as part of its manufacture - saying "Think - is this memo really necessary?".

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 1