St Marteen - Walk to Shops

Its do-able, but can be hot.  Its about a half mile to the beach and just a little further to most of the shops. IMO the water taxi doesn't save any time and little walking as it doesn't go far.   The walk isn't bad, on really hot days you might want a hat, shade umbrella or carry some water.  It can be done with scooters and wheel chairs. 

Your most will get moved of the ports section. 

8 minutes ago, brenderlou62 said:

What is the walk like from ship to shops?  Have elderly parents and want an idea if it's doable or not.

Easy but a little long. No biggie for us. We've done the walk many times with no problems. There is also a water taxi over to Phillipsburg. R/T per person is $14.00.   

Depends on which shops you are talking about.  There are some that are very close by that could easily be walked to, but then the main cluster of shops is further away, and would probably be a bit far to walk.  

Just now, Cherful59 said:

I believe most people ferry over from the dock unless they are on an excursion that will drop them off.  I haven't been for awhile, but it used to be a fairly reasonable price round trip or one way.  I am sure someone can post a current price.

I don't know the current cost, going in May, haven't been there since 2018, but that ferry doesn't save you much walking and the time you could have been walking you have to wait for the ship to empty, reload up and head back.  The amount of walking it saves is probably about 1/2 mile.

Just now, Baron Barracuda said:

It's a long, hot walk around the bay.  Much easier to take water taxi to pier at center of town.

That water taxi pier is no where near the center of town.

1 minute ago, BillOh said:

I don't know the current cost, going in May, haven't been there since 2018, but that ferry doesn't save you much walking and the time you could have been walking you have to wait for the ship to empty, reload up and head back.  The amount of walking it saves is probably about 1/2 mile.

Thanks for the info.  I saw your reply and deleted mine.  Up to a point I agree with you, but I also have an elderly parent and she could never make that walk which is why I wanted to mention the ferry/water taxi although some have posted it is not in the center of town either.  Depending on how many people are with, pushing multiple wheel chairs might not be an option either.  

Maybe an excursion would be a better option, but they would still need to walk to the buses.  Just thoughts.

How long has it been since you have been to St. Maarten? If it's been more than a few years, you'll be surprised at the number of shops within the port area. You might not even need to go into "town".

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, doghog said:

Yes there is. 

Just want to confirm this- we were there a couple of weeks ago, and the water taxi dropped us off at the pier in the middle of town- not at either end.  Not sure if that's every taxi or not- maybe we got lucky.

And the cost was $7 for round trip paying before, and if you just take it back- there's also a fee and they direct you to the ticket window as you depart the boat.

That being said, had we been 100%, we would have walked.  It's not long, just hot.

Edited by alfaeric
  • Like 1

We always used to walk it.  Takes about 15 minutes.  With my knee injury it would take us a bit longer now so we take a regular taxi.  Have done the water taxi in the past, but it's easier IMHO to just take a regular taxi.  

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

How long has it been since you have been to St. Maarten? If it's been more than a few years, you'll be surprised at the number of shops within the port area. You might not even need to go into "town".

We go to eat lunch at a place we've been to many times.  Can't do that in port.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, brenderlou62 said:

What is the walk like from ship to shops?  Have elderly parents and want an idea if it's doable or not.

I was there in December and used the water taxi for the first time due to mobility issues. If docked at the outside pier, the walk from the ship to the terminal is a hike. There is a complimentary shuttle(seats about 12) provided by the port from the ship to the center of the terminal. The walk into town is at least 15 minutes.

I think I was charged $7 for round trip water taxi, they also solicit for tips during the ride. The ferry dropped us off at the Captain Hodge wharf with maybe a 50 yard walk to the boardwalk. The wharf is directly in front of the courthouse (1 block up). You will have to wait for the ferry to be loaded before departing from the cruise port but it will benefit your parents from walking into town.

Edited by meadowlander

4 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

In your opinion. We still enjoy the ride or walk into Phillipsburg. We worth it to us. Shops, my wife usually looks for a magnet or two. Me sometimes a hat or a T shirt. Even have a couple of Sea Dog T shirts. We then always stop at the Blue ***** Bar for a drink or two. 🍺🍹 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Just want to confirm this- we were there a couple of weeks ago, and the water taxi dropped us off at the pier in the middle of town- not at either end.  Not sure if that's every taxi or not- maybe we got lucky.

And the cost was $7 for round trip paying before, and if you just take it back- there's also a fee and they direct you to the ticket window as you depart the boat.

That being said, had we been 100%, we would have walked.  It's not long, just hot.

You bought a one way ticket. You can buy a RT ticket $14.00 or a one way ticket $7.00 at the pier/dock. Same plow you bought yours at. The pier/dock you were let out at is the town center pier/dock. I believe it depends on the crew as to which pier/dock they let you out at. The pier/dock further down the beach is the newest one. 

35 minutes ago, doghog said:

You bought a one way ticket. You can buy a RT ticket $14.00 or a one way ticket $7.00 at the pier/dock. Same plow you bought yours at. The pier/dock you were let out at is the town center pier/dock. I believe it depends on the crew as to which pier/dock they let you out at. The pier/dock further down the beach is the newest one. 

I should have said wrist band, not ticket. Different color wrist bands for one-way and RT. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, doghog said:

Well, for $7, we went both ways and didn’t have to pay again. With the wristband. This was about 2 weeks ago. 

Edited by alfaeric
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Well, for $7, we went both ways and didn’t have to pay again. With the wristband. This was about 2 weeks ago. 

I stand corrected. We'll be back in a couple of weeks. Last time was March 2023. 

Edited by doghog

For the original poster...

There is a nice 'PORT' area with some shopping.  If you watch the videos, you will see what many are saying about no-shade.

Many take the water-taxi over to the pier on Great Bay,  Phillipsburg,  the boardwalk.

I did a quick search and this first video might give you a good idea what it is like.

Then there is another video of walking thru the Port, I think from the furthest pier.. to the water-taxi, and the ride over.  Many videos out there walking along the boardwalk there at the Great Bay Beach area as well.

• Like 1