Semi Newbie, confused

CPs4591

Only been on 3 cruises in the last 25 years.  Last year did Windstar Tahiti which isn’t a bigger ship cruise.  Prior larger ship ones a long time ago so feel like starting from scratch in some ways.  So sorry for the maybe odd questions but just trying to read through the forums with all the VERY experienced people is making my head spin!  Here goes:

1.  We’re looking at a Panama Canal in November on Princess.  It’s major milestone birthdays for both of us.  I know we’re late to the party for booking so trying to get things booked soon.  

2.  We will get a mini suite at a minimum and I guess the Princess Plus.  I’m a bit confused about what this gets us?  Where to find these answers?

3.  One of the reasons we want to do a cruise is both a plus and minus.  The issue is an autoimmune disease I have which goes up and down on symptoms and some days can be hard walking.  Those days I would be fine sitting on our balcony just enjoying.  Other days I am fine and can go go go no problems.  I swim at home daily, we’re very fit and often are fine with anything.  But occasionally I will have a bad day.  I often don’t know until that day.  We had planned another completely different trip for that time frame but scrapped it because of this issue.  So the pros are the ease of a cruise, being ok just being on balcony some days, go when I can (75% of the time), etc.  The cons are that I take low dose (nothing like cancer or heavy duty) immune suppressants.  As a result, we’ll mask in indoor areas and spend as much time outside as possible.  But also as a result, will want to avoid things like the buffet.  What are my dining options?  On Windstar last year, while we did eat in the main dining room most nights, we always sat at a table for two and the one we had was not in the middle of many other tables.  We are fine paying for any restaurants, the money isn’t a big issue for us.  On Windstar we also were able to eat outside for breakfast and lunch and a couple of times for dinner.  What should I be doing if we take this Princess cruise? 

4.  We probably won’t take many ship excursions but do our own so we’re not packed in a bus, plus we like doing smaller things ourselves.  I forgot where on these boards I can find suggestions?  I know there is a specific place to ask those questions.  Can someone point me?

I guess bottom line is this is important to us, we’re not sure how much more travel is in the cards for us and cruising to a bucket list place like this seems to give us what we’re looking for.  TIA for any comments or point me to where a semi-newbie can get help.  Reading posts from very experienced cruisers is like trying to read Swahili or something!  Thanks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

1.  We’re looking at a Panama Canal in November on Princess.

2 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

The cons are that I take low dose (nothing like cancer or heavy duty) immune suppressants.

If you have not purchased tickets yet (or if you've done so within the past few days), then NOW is a good time to consider travel insurance.

We are among those who recommend 3rd-party insurance, but I've heard that Princess may have good policies, too.

The biggest problem often is "pre-existing conditions".
But at least with many of the 3rd party policies, IF one starts the coverage within 10-20 days of the very first payment (it varies by state of residence), then there are *no* exclusions due to pre-existing conditions as long as one is "fit to travel" on the day the policy is started.

[Note:  We once got a physician to write a short note along the lines of, "as of <date>, <name> is able to travel internationally" or words to that effect.  We didn't need the note, but we were happy to have it in hand just in case, given a very recent medical issue.]

And a cruise sounds perfect, given the opportunity to "be active" or to sit and enjoy the sea, the sea air, other views, and just relax, etc.

Enjoy!

RM

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

2.  We will get a mini suite at a minimum and I guess the Princess Plus.  I’m a bit confused about what this gets us?  Where to find these answers?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! This and the dining options would best be asked on the Princess board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Be sure to include the ship.

For excursion questions we have 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/54-panama-canal/

but also maybe

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/

and

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

depending on your route.

• Like 3

Since you are wanting to do the Panama Canal on Princess in November, I see there are two choices: Emerald Princess and Coral Princess.  If seeing the historic original canal is your objective, you want to be on Coral Princess, because she will use the old original locks.  And she is doing a full transit.  Emerald Princess must use the new locks, and is on,y doing a partial transit..  in order to see the original canal you would have to take an excursion on a small ferry type excursion boat, which will be crowded and probably uncomfortable.  NCL and  Viking Ocean also have ships doing partial transits but through the original locks.  EM

Posted (edited)

You are so clever to deal with your auto-immune issue now so you both get the most enjoyment possible out of your trip.  I think being pro-active will result in a really great cruise for your birthdays.  I so admire people who take care of themselves and don't expect any 'special treatment'.   

CC is a vast horde of info, but I'll address meals.  Princess has a system called Medallion, you can read all about it on their website, then come back to the Princess forum to get explanations.  Princess is a a bit shy when it comes to communicating.  What you will love is that you can order food and drink (and a bunch of other stuff) with this Medallion.  It tells the crew where you are.  So you can have drinks in the library and dinner in the atrium or cuddle up in your cabin with a movie and have it all brought there.  You could sit outside on the pool deck and have a very nice meal.  When you wish to dine 'out' in any of the restaurants, just speak to the DR manager and ask for exactly what you want for seating.  Be considerate and dine outside of the main rush.  Any of your meals can be served on your balcony.  So I think you'll really like this.  

And if all the jargon gets to you, come back here and we will be happy to explain the whole picture.

Oh my, I almost forgot ... the Medallion works pretty well on the ship (you have to double-check everything) but it's worse than useless pre-cruise.  Princess has known about this for years but does nothing to improve it.  So you may have come challenges getting everything entered on your computer (it's even worse on your phone).  Be patient and don't think it's 'you', it's 'them'.  I remember trying to upload our photos about 19 times ... finally the system accepted a photo that was at least 20 years old ... and I didn't care.  And of course they took my photo when I boarded.  I refrained from screaming.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm doing a PC cruise on the Coral in January! I haven't cruised in 25 years! I booked directly but I kind of which I had used a TA. The problem is, I couldn't figure out which ones are good. I did call the CVP line to get a re-fare (price had dropped) so you don't need a TA but they often give discounts and/or OBC that you can't get booking online.

You asked about Plus and Premier. If you make a fake booking on the princess.com website, you can see what each includes but here's a summary:
Both have:

- Crew Appreciation (gratuities)

- free OceanNow (worth $14.99)

- Free room service ($5 per use)

- free Medallion shipping ($10, if you get it at home before you sail, you can get on the ship faster)
- free bottled water, fancy coffee, fresh juice, mocktails, soda and hot chocolate (various prices)
Plus vs. Premier
- Alcoholic drinks up to $15 with Plus, $20 with Premier
- Internet/Wifi - 1 device with Plus, 4 with Premier

- Fitness classes: 2 with Plus, unlimited with Premier (classes run about $30 but vary, there are also free ones at times)

- Casual dining: 2 with Plus, unlimited with Premier ($14.99 pp for the fixed price menu only)

- "Premium" desserts: 2 a day with Plus, unlimited with Premier ($12 per, but no one eats 2 a day so this difference is meaningless)
Premier only:

- 2 Specialty Dining meals (worth $39 + 18% gratuity)
- Princess Prizes (sort of a virtual raffle - I forgot how much it cost to play, $20 a day?)

- Photo package - unlimited digital and 3 printed (doesn't exist except as part of the package so worth is unknown but I'm guessing $250 to get these a la carte)

I think that's it. I may have left something minor out.

Edited by MacMadame
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

I'm doing a PC cruise on the Coral in January! I haven't cruised in 25 years! I booked directly but I kind of which I had used a TA. The problem is, I couldn't figure out which ones are good. I did call the CVP line to get a re-fare (price had dropped) so you don't need a TA but they often give discounts and/or OBC that you can't get booking online.

You asked about Plus and Premier. If you make a fake booking on the princess.com website, you can see what each includes but here's a summary:
Both have:

- Crew Appreciation (gratuities)

- free OceanNow (worth $14.99)

- Free room service ($5 per use)

- free Medallion shipping ($10, if you get it at home before you sail, you can get on the ship faster)
- free bottled water, fancy coffee, fresh juice, mocktails, soda and hot chocolate (various prices)
Plus vs. Premier
- Alcoholic drinks up to $15 with Plus, $20 with Premier
- Internet/Wifi - 1 device with Plus, 4 with Premier

- Fitness classes: 2 with Plus, unlimited with Premier (classes run about $30 but vary, there are also free ones at times)

- Casual dining: 2 with Plus, unlimited with Premier ($14.99 pp for the fixed price menu only)

- "Premium" desserts: 2 a day with Plus, unlimited with Premier ($12 per, but no one eats 2 a day so this difference is meaningless)
Premier only:

- 2 Specialty Dining meals (worth $39 + 18% gratuity)
- Princess Prizes (sort of a virtual raffle - I forgot how much it cost to play, $20 a day?)

- Photo package - unlimited digital and 3 printed (doesn't exist except as part of the package so worth is unknown but I'm guessing $250 to get these a la carte)

I think that's it. I may have left something minor out.

I forgot that you get a clip to hold your Medallion and Reserved seating for production shows with Premier.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks for all the replies.  Should I book with Princess directly?  

If you decide to book with Princess, ask for a cruise vacation planner (CVP) that functions like an in-house agent and that will work with you not only making the reservations but also if you have questions and problems leading up to the cruise. 

I personally have used a travel agent for more than a decade.  Princess allows travel agents to offer reduced fares (that come out of their commissions) but they are not allowed to publicize them.  Making some phone calls or emails to local and on-line agents could save you a considerable amount of money.  My TA's fare reductions run between 7 and 12% and frequently she adds some on board credit (OBC) to that.

One other recommendation whether you cruise with Princess or another line:  read The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough before you go. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention...!

Contact Princess and ask for "Special Needs" (if that dept is under a different name, they'll get you to them).

They may have a form for you to fill out.  If so, don't be surprised if many/most of the questions have nothing to do with *your* situation; it's meant for "everyone with anything", etc.

Make it clear what help you do or might need, and chances are very good that they'll have some help for you or a contact person if needed.

This is often for dietary special needs, but in your case it could also be to have meals brought to you or... whatever would help you (and that could obviously be sometimes but not other times).

Enjoy!!

GC

• Like 2

If you plan to book direct, at least compare it to current TA offerings  before booking.

Keep in mind that in many cases TA's cruise lines prohibit TA's from advertising their best rates

so they must be contacted.

You may even learn more about the cruise you are about to book?

I found a TA, she was rated well online but who knows.  She’s actually leading a tour overseas right now but has been sending emails.  The price and onboard credit isn’t spectacular but OK.  We did get what we wanted which was a nice mini suite and the premier or whatever it is package, the one above Plus.  I will send more questions for you lovely people soon, thanks so much so far!  I do have lots of additional questions!

Hi, update!  We got it booked!  The TA actually came up with about $600 in onboard credit, I think this is referred to OBC?  What can we use this for?  Massages, ship excursions?  What else would it be good for?  We bought the Premier thing.  

Can’t thank everyone enough for all your help. Guess I will head to the Princess boards and the excursion boards for other questions,  again thanks for your help.  You all are very kind for someone who is basically a newbie again.

2 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

I think this is referred to OBC?  What can we use this for?  Massages, ship excursions?  What else would it be good for?

Specialty dining, other spa or salon treatments, bottles or "fleets" of wine, and just your overhead spending including crew appreciation.

• Like 1