why so many bad reviews of the Mardi Gras?

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

You are in line virtually and the effect is the same. You mentioned shows and the previous poster mentioned dinner. I didn't back up far enough in the convo, I guess.

I am sitting at the bar, waiting for the show to start and then I walk in.  

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

On our sailing - there was no way you were walking into the club and getting a seat after that line entered.

There were times we were IN that line - and there were no seats when we got inside the doors.

Didn't say I got a seat.  There is always standing room.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Didn't say I got a seat.  There is always standing room.  

Not on a number of shows on our sailing.

There were a couple times they were turning people away at the door because the standing room was completely filled.

9 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Not on a number of shows on our sailing.

There were a couple times they were turning people away at the door because the standing room was completely filled.

We've found that this is something that varies widely. On some sailing it's easy to get a seat. On other sailings you can't even stand and watch the show.

• Like 1

This is complicated, First, every cruise there are a certain number of people who have buyers remorse. This cruise was awesome on day one and terrible on day seven because it is almost over and nothing but bills and memories are left.

Second, I love some of the features on the new Excel class ships, but it also has some serious faults. Cabins are smaller, venues are smaller even though the cruisers capacity has tripled in some cases, elevators are a mess, and people are everywhere. Combine that with the fact that everything from service to food has decreased in quality for people who experienced cruises five or ten years ago and some people are just not going to love it. 

I have cruised all three Excel class ships in the fifteen months, first Mardi Gras, then Celebration, then Jubilee. There are things about all three I really loved, but i still feel the essence of cruising, the things that make cruising really nice are better on the smaller ships. I was lucky enough to be on the Paradise two months after the Celebration and I noticed the things that I missed there. try finding a place by the window to just sit and relax and watch the water on the Excel class ships. There are 600 places to sit and watch the ocean roll by on the Paradise. Conversely there is no Street Eats, no Guys BBQ, no Chibang, no Cucina. 

So, know what you want from a cruise and what you are getting into and you will be fine. If your idea is to relax, Excel is not for you, but if you want twenty things to do and ten places to eat at any time and are willing to jockey for it, Excel is for you. 

• Like 7

On 3/14/2024 at 5:07 PM, TravelBluebird said:

Goodness, I agree with everyone else on this thread. I’ve sailed Mardi Gras twice and I just loved her!  Would sail on Mardi Gras again in a heartbeat.

Remember, out of the general population (I”m not talking about us here on Cruise Critic) they will speak up online if they have something negative to say, but rarely if they have something positive to say. It was just like that when I worked retail as well.

truth. I worked in retail for MANY years. Customers, in general, are far more likely to voice a complaint than a compliment. Numbers were about 7 out of 10 would give negative feedback about their experience, only 3 out of 10 would bother with positive feedback about their experience. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Went on it 2 years ago and will be going back on in February. Its a great ship! Some people just arent content unless they complain about something.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

For some people, if you can find a reason to complain they will (shrugs)? I have a cruise booked on Mardi Gras next month and I could not be more excited about the opportunity to take this cruise. I'm extremely excited to be platinum this cruise, to spend away time with daughter, grandson, and my daughter's best friend who lost her mom a few months ago so my daughter treated her to this trip with her. I'm excited to make someone having a bad day smile, excided that I am able to take a cruise when so many are not. I'm MOST excited to be back out in the middle of the ocean to witness where the sun meets the water. Reminds me of Genisis in the bible. 

If people would just remember the grace extended to them to even have the opportunity to be on a cruise, maybe they would see the Great in all of it. I have learned a cruise is not a real priority or necessity except for what we make it. So, I am humbled each time I get the privilege to step on a boat. 

I guess I'm so busy being grateful that I don't have time to find all these flaws. (shrugs). My two cent which is just that, 2 cents

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Been on MG 3 times in last couple years and scheduled for next May again (DS college grad and before law school starts cruise).  Love excel class, dinning options make it so we rarely make it to MDR anymore, different bar venues as well as show/entertainment options give us plenty of things to do if we choose, as well as many people watching opportunities if we just want to sit and hang out. 

We love the choice of cabins on MG, we had the bump out OS on deck 12, an extended balcony on deck 9 as well as the Havana balcony cabin port side, deck 8 (this location on deck 8 was a fav for sure with everything so close on deck 8).  

On 3/25/2024 at 4:18 PM, DonnyZee1 said:

Can't say much on this Ship but I can say alot on the Cruise Line itself. If I were you I would take any other Cruise Line in a heartbeat than this one. Their passenger courtesy sucks "Big Time"!

Never will I or anyone that asks me about them go on this Cruise Line, Again!

So why post on here since you don't care for them? Usually a troll if no replies . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 4:31 PM, lazydayz said:

We have cruised on the Mardi Gras five times and the Celebration twice. 

There are so many positives to the Excel class, I think you should book it and decide for yourself. 

My issue with these ships is they go to the same overvisited ports that all megaships visit. I’m going on Celebration next month, and Mardi Gras in Feb, but I would personally prefer them to do different itineraries. If RC can put an oasis class in Europe, Carnival should be able to do this with an Excel. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
Typo correction
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

To continue my comment from above, I also think if Carnival were to move an XL to Europe, instead of having three ships essentially doing the same itinerary (PC, Miami, and Galveston) that compete with each other, they would probably be able to command a greater per diem. Carnival usually gets a greater ADR in AK than HAL. 

Edited by UPNYGuy

We enjoyed the Mardi Gras but I didn't like the ship.  I thought it was set up weird.  I also thought the entertainment was terrible.  Seen several people walk out of one of the shows.  But I did love the cooking classes they had, wish other lines would do those and I we enjoyed sitting around and listening to the entertainment around the ship.  

I’ve sailed Mardi Gras and loved it.  Booked again in September.  Every sailing will have people who love it and people who hate it.  Every sailing will have good and bad..,things you like, things you don’t, good food, not so good food.  Your experience will be totally yours.  I wrote a very positive review back in 2022.  I’m sure you’ll find a mix of reviews.  Totally personal preference.  Check it out and form your own opinions,  You may love or hate it but at least you will know!  Have a great cruise!

I have been on the Mardi Gras 6 times out of my 48 cruises and I absolutely love the ship. I have no problem with any of their dining options, I've been on Balcony and Interior rooms, I've been in the spa rooms, and I would go back on the ship in a heartbeat. Don't let anyone scare you off. See for yourself.

• Like 1

Been on Mardi Gras twice, going a third time in November. We love her - from the ship to the port she embarks out of (Port Canaveral). Beautiful, fun, absolutely would recommend.

Like many have mentioned before, take both positive and negative reviews with a grain of salt. The last time we sailed on MG, I was in the guest services line behind people who were OUTRAGED that it rained 4/7 days we sailed (as if that's the captain's fault) and they loudly DEMANDED a free day at the spa to "make up" for their ruined vacation.

The last time we sailed MG, we also ran into people who were just happy to be on vacation, not at work. Rain? Oh well, great time for a drink, lunch, and a snooze.

Life's what you make it. No matter what you do, whether it be your daily commute to work, or on a lovely week-off vacation, you're in the driver seat to decide how you want that time to go. Most of those folks who gripe so deeply about a cruise vacation (or specific ship) probably gripe about everything else in their life. 

• Like 6

I've sailed on Fantasy, Elation, Legend, Glory 2x, Splendor, Conquest, Breeze & Mardi Gras.

Mardi Gras is by far our favorite.

As far as crowds, we usually stay away from them anyway.  For all the years we've been on Carnival we've never seen a hairy chest contest, or taken part in those sardine packed deck get togethers.

We actually like sitting in a lounge for an hour before dinner.  We don't mind walking into a comedy club and sitting down in the seats somebody tells us they are saving for someone else.

We liked the Loft 19 availability on Mardi Gras, and we'll do it again on any ship that offers it.

On 3/14/2024 at 3:35 PM, jxtgreek said:

I want to book this ship but have been reading so many bad reviews of this ship?  Is it that bad?

Been on the Mardi Gras. 6 times had Jr Balcony, reg Balcony, inside cabin. ship was ok. cabins were ok. food was ok. didn't eat in any food places that had up charges. drinks were ok. some were stronger than what I like. I tip extra to bar waiters when I find a bar I go back to. the only thing I didn't care for was the size of the ship. did a lot of walking to get from one place to the other. I would book it again, I do btb because we drive from Michigan.  

I liked Mardi Gras - but it's definitely a "cruise for the ship" as opposed to a "cruise for the ports" type thing.

I would definitely go on MG again, but my complaints would be:

1) It's a huge ship - so plan on walking a lot.

2) Comedy clubs are undersized and you will wait in a 20+ minute line if you want a seat

3) No bar in main theater. No drink service either.

4) Not enough public bathrooms - particularly near the theaters

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aborgman said:

I liked Mardi Gras - but it's definitely a "cruise for the ship" as opposed to a "cruise for the ports" type thing.

2) Comedy clubs are undersized and you will wait in a 20+ minute line if you want a seat

Just finished an 8 day, never got off! Been to all the ports so many times. The boat was the destination for us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2024 at 1:32 PM, aborgman said:

Just change the ship name to Jubilee and I agree. The ship (Jubilee) is stunning, gorgeous, and shiny new. I loved it, the many different food venues, the entire staff, and the overall ambience. We had been to all the ports and never got off the ship!

We went to Celestial Strings in the theater-#3 applies on Jubilee, as well.

Comedy clubs- we didn't go in, but I saw the lines #2.

Restrooms weren't much of an issue, IMO, but first you have to learn where they are situated.

#1 on the list is the size of the ship, for sure. I am old, fat, out of shape, and have a knee that is begging for replacement surgery. I spent the 4-5 months prior to our cruise in physical therapy, walking on the treadmill and strengthening my knee. It certainly helped, but OMG, the walking...Made the Dream and the Breeze seem tiny in comparison.

(as an aside note, less than 2 weeks before our sail date, my cardiologist informed me that I needed a pacemaker. Did not have enough notice to get it done and fully recover from the procedure before we cruised. That probably had a lot to do with how worn out I was feeling on the cruise, as well as the previous 6-9 months. I've since gotten the device, and I feel much better. I have about 6 months to whip this old person into shape for a 2 week cruise on the Dream. Should be a piece of cake compared to the Jubilee!!)

Excel Class requires stamina!

Edited by kew1031
  • Like 1

just got off the mardi gras. we have been on carnival many times over the years and have alwas found it to be a good cruise for the price of the cruise. however, after this cruise we will never set foot on carnival again. if the issues on this ship are an indication of where carnival in headed after covid, i will not be on them, as a matter of fact, i just cancelled a 7 day we had booked on them.

there are good things about this ship, its really an nice ship, however, I do agree with the posters that the restrooms are to small, and two few. the service staff are as good as they have alwas been, however, there seems to be less of them and the empty plates and cups sitting on tables are not getting picked up in a timely fashion. the entertainment i good for carnival, the performers are very talented, and the shows good. carnival has never been know for big shows, but they are good. the comedy club is top notch as alwas.

i agree with those that think the deal with chibang is stupid.

the changes to the main dinning room are a joke. i see why they now call it the main restaurant its appropriate, as it is no longer a dinning experience. its the little things that make a dinning experience an experience. don't get me wrong, the wait staff are still great, but the corporate changes have ruined the experience. first, i want a table cloth on the table. i want a printed menu, this idea of the QR code makes it like a fast food restaurant. our waiters did find a printed menu the last five days of our cruise after I complained about it the first night. I also want to be greeted by name. on the first night they asked us our name. come on management, give the wait staff the names of the people assigned to them.

the biggest thing that has run us away from carnival is that the lido market place is a total joke. its the worst buffet i have ever seen on a cruise ship. carnival alwas had good buffets, they were not fancy but good and a god selection of dishes. not anymore on this ship. the selection was horrible, come on, only serve bacon for breakfast every other day? and then have someone giving you two strips at a time pancakes every other day?, no more whipped cream for them when you do serve them? on a six day cruise they served the potato cakes that everbody loves only one day, the rest of the time it was bland potato wedges. there were only 9 items on the breakfast buffet each morning.

the lunch and dinner menus were even worse. it appears that carnival is trying to go vegetarian as their was very few meat options on the menu.

the desert bar, which carnival has alwas done very well, was a total joke. one cake, one cheesecake, cookies and a couple of other things, that's it.

the one thing that carnival is know for was even screwed up. two few soft serve machines, most not working most of the time, or close down. after 7 pm there was only the one machine in the BBQ open.

other things, the problems that carnival is getting press for were also present. the smell of dope made my balcony almost un-useable at night. the roving gangs of teenagers at night was out of control. i was almost run over by a group of teens running down the halls right in front of guest services.

the standard joke is carnival is the walmart of cruiselines, well they are well on their way to becoming the dollar tree of cruiselines.

unless they fix their problems,and fast, they can keep my gold card and I will never be back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miabusdriver said:

just got off the mardi gras. we have been on carnival many times over the years and have alwas found it to be a good cruise for the price of the cruise. however, after this cruise we will never set foot on carnival again. if the issues on this ship are an indication of where carnival in headed after covid, i will not be on them, as a matter of fact, i just cancelled a 7 day we had booked on them.

there are good things about this ship, its really an nice ship, however, I do agree with the posters that the restrooms are to small, and two few. the service staff are as good as they have alwas been, however, there seems to be less of them and the empty plates and cups sitting on tables are not getting picked up in a timely fashion. the entertainment i good for carnival, the performers are very talented, and the shows good. carnival has never been know for big shows, but they are good. the comedy club is top notch as alwas.

i agree with those that think the deal with chibang is stupid.

the changes to the main dinning room are a joke. i see why they now call it the main restaurant its appropriate, as it is no longer a dinning experience. its the little things that make a dinning experience an experience. don't get me wrong, the wait staff are still great, but the corporate changes have ruined the experience. first, i want a table cloth on the table. i want a printed menu, this idea of the QR code makes it like a fast food restaurant. our waiters did find a printed menu the last five days of our cruise after I complained about it the first night. I also want to be greeted by name. on the first night they asked us our name. come on management, give the wait staff the names of the people assigned to them.

the biggest thing that has run us away from carnival is that the lido market place is a total joke. its the worst buffet i have ever seen on a cruise ship. carnival alwas had good buffets, they were not fancy but good and a god selection of dishes. not anymore on this ship. the selection was horrible, come on, only serve bacon for breakfast every other day? and then have someone giving you two strips at a time pancakes every other day?, no more whipped cream for them when you do serve them? on a six day cruise they served the potato cakes that everbody loves only one day, the rest of the time it was bland potato wedges. there were only 9 items on the breakfast buffet each morning.

the lunch and dinner menus were even worse. it appears that carnival is trying to go vegetarian as their was very few meat options on the menu.

the desert bar, which carnival has alwas done very well, was a total joke. one cake, one cheesecake, cookies and a couple of other things, that's it.

the one thing that carnival is know for was even screwed up. two few soft serve machines, most not working most of the time, or close down. after 7 pm there was only the one machine in the BBQ open.

other things, the problems that carnival is getting press for were also present. the smell of dope made my balcony almost un-useable at night. the roving gangs of teenagers at night was out of control. i was almost run over by a group of teens running down the halls right in front of guest services.

the standard joke is carnival is the walmart of cruiselines, well they are well on their way to becoming the dollar tree of cruiselines.

unless they fix their problems,and fast, they can keep my gold card and I will never be back.

Enjoy your cruising on all the other lines.

• Like 1

I enjoy the XL Class ships, they offer something for everyone.  Yes, the rooms are a bit on the tight side, especially the bathrooms.  But my biggest compliant about Carnival lately is some of the folks that cruise with them.  Weed smoking on balconies is a daily affair, had this experience on the last two cruises, rendering the balcony unusable at certain times of the day or night.  On Conquest, the couple next to us not only smoked weed all day, they played loud music while in port or at sea.

Carnival definitely has a clientele problem, rules or drug dogs don't seem to be working.  It's a shame, they have a good product but these peeps are giving them a reputation that's hard to recover from.  I'm going on my first Celebrity cruise in about a week, hoping not to see or experience the same.  Maybe the slightly older crowd is the trick to a peaceful and enjoyable cruise.

8 hours ago, Mr305 said:

I enjoy the XL Class ships, they offer something for everyone.  Yes, the rooms are a bit on the tight side, especially the bathrooms.  But my biggest compliant about Carnival lately is some of the folks that cruise with them.  Weed smoking on balconies is a daily affair, had this experience on the last two cruises, rendering the balcony unusable at certain times of the day or night.  On Conquest, the couple next to us not only smoked weed all day, they played loud music while in port or at sea.

Carnival definitely has a clientele problem, rules or drug dogs don't seem to be working.  It's a shame, they have a good product but these peeps are giving them a reputation that's hard to recover from.  I'm going on my first Celebrity cruise in about a week, hoping not to see or experience the same.  Maybe the slightly older crowd is the trick to a peaceful and enjoyable cruise.

Celebrity is a different experience, and different clientele. Like most things in life, there are tradeoffs for everything.  Options are a good thing.

Rules and enforcement are always the answer. 

• Like 1