The 71st Cruise with Princess was the worst cruise experience ever! Inaugural Sun Princess

3 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Perhaps... if you didn't have any serious issues. 

My friend/neighbour had a heart attack on board. They had to divert the ship and he spent ages in a hospital ashore (Caribbean) then had to be medivac flight home to the UK. Their costs were in the hundreds of thousands. That is no joke. I am not sure the saving of premiums on insurance would cover such a bill. They have had to sell their house and downsize to pay for it all. The annoying thing is that they had insurance but they had failed to disclose all their issues and medications and so their claim was rejected.

IIRC In the UK travel insurance with full cruise cover is required although I don't think they check that you have it beyond asking the question.

I did say that we have annual medical and evacuation policy that takes care of the medical expenses and evacuation.  So we are covered up to 500 thousand for the situation you mentioned.

Our annual policy does include hospital to hospital transfer back to the hospital of our choice in the US.  The main policy costs us $350 per year, the hospital to hospital air evac add on adds another $300.

• Like 4

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, TRLD said:

I did say that we have annual medical and evacuation policy that takes care of the medical expenses and evacuation.  So we are covered up to 500 thousand for the situation you mentioned.

Our annual policy does include hospital to hospital transfer back to the hospital of our choice in the US.  The main policy costs us $350 per year, the hospital to hospital air evac add on adds another $300.

Sorry. I saw that but I didn't understand. Thanks for explaining 🙂

On 3/18/2024 at 10:01 AM, Teechur said:

Since ships like these are not built in the U.S., inaugural cruises will never happen here.

Carnival Panorama Inaguaral cruise was out of Long Beach.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:36 AM, donaldsc said:

I would hope that you at least got more of that wet paint on your shoes and walked all over the ship leaving tracks as you went.  

DON

nuff said. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, edspec said:

Carnival Panorama Inaguaral cruise was out of Long Beach.

My bad, I was thinking of the first trip after the owner CCL takes possession. I am surprised that they would sail all the way to the US with no passengers aboard. Or perhaps they simply pick a cruise to be the "inaugural cruise"? New hotels often operate for weeks before their "Grand Opening".

On 3/15/2024 at 7:00 AM, Esprit said:

Sorry to read your misfortune.

With all your cruise experience I would have thought you would have had a "Plan B"? 

Taking non direct flights also cost considerably less when flying "last minute".

Whilst beneath some, I would have accepted economy seats just to get where I wanted to be.

So far, every single seat I have ever booked on a flight has been beneath me.  I hope they stay that way -- just sayin.  😃

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Teechur said:

My bad, I was thinking of the first trip after the owner CCL takes possession. I am surprised that they would sail all the way to the US with no passengers aboard. Or perhaps they simply pick a cruise to be the "inaugural cruise"? New hotels often operate for weeks before their "Grand Opening".

I watched a Disney documentary on one of their ships. Disney took possession but they were not done decorating the interior. They sailed across the pond with workers on the ship (no passengers) and did the inaugural in the US.

I believe the Coral Princess inaugural was in the US (did not sail with passengers from Europe).

I was booked on the Diamond Princess innaugural and that was going to be out of Seattle. The ship burned so I didn't get to take my initial cruise that was going to be inaugural.

Edited by Coral

On 3/15/2024 at 6:56 AM, Easyrider949 said:

Cruise insurance will not cover this situation, for the fact that this was a new Airline ticket and not a canceled ticket, Princess did refund the original EZair ticket amount, but they did not honor our original airline ticket pricing amount. Had they done that, this would not be an issue. This situation just falls outside of any insurance coverage.

I'll add my sorry you have to experience this. 

I'm curious.  Even though the Feb 8 cruise was cancelled, could you have opted to keep the original EZAir flight (especially since you had an EZAir return flight after the Feb 28 leg)?  

I'm not suggesting you should have done that.  I'm just curious to know if that would be an option.  

That was bad.  Wow seventy cruises and they are not interested in at least trying to make you happy. 

I do not like how they tell you one thing then they say they didn't say that. Such as when I booked the cruise, they told me that I would have one complimentary specialty dinning on the first day. I went to make the reservations as sone as I got on board and and they told me I didn't.  Not even close to what you were told,(the ship will be ready to sail) but anytime you are lied to it really is upsetting.  Turned out the Main Dinning room was better than the specialty dinning anyways. Especially the waiters.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

That was bad.  Wow seventy cruises and they are not interested in at least trying to make you happy. 

I do not like how they tell you one thing then they say they didn't say that. Such as when I booked the cruise, they told me that I would have one complimentary specialty dinning on the first day. I went to make the reservations as sone as I got on board and and they told me I didn't.  Not even close to what you were told,(the ship will be ready to sail) but anytime you are lied to it really is upsetting.  Turned out the Main Dinning room was better than the specialty dinning anyways. Especially the waiters.

oh, those yummy restaurant attendants (waiters)!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

I sailed on the inaugural voyage from of the Carnival Triumph (now Sunrise). It traveled without passengers to New York. It was supposed to be the 3rd however it was delayed similar to the Sun Princess. In fact we booked the 3rd voyage thinking the kinks would be worked out. No such luck. Dining Room was a disaster and room steward was totally lost. 

• Like 1

@Easyrider949, hey, saw the same post over on the Princess Cruisers group over on FB.  Sure glad you are getting published in all the various forum groups.  That said, am I supposed to cancel my future cruises with Princess on account of your experience?  What is the action I'm supposed to take with all this information?

Here is what I do know, paint dries; plus, ships are always being painted from the time they are born until they go to the breakers because the sea is a terrible mistress.  Most human endeavors are filled with failure before they reach success.  So long as those trying to move forward keep improving, they will find success.  This also means that there will be many future cruises on Sun Princess that will be spectacular for those that are lucky to sail on her.  Sun Princess and her forthcoming sister will have some hiccups, but they will be worked out and undoubtedly they will sail for many years to come, wet paint and all.

As for your flight costs, while I envy nobody, one of the most expensive cruises I've ever booked cost as much as your replacement business class International flight.  I think you are very fortunate that you can book, or attempt to book 3 b2b cruises on a brand new ship, flying business class to Europe and back again.  I will assume that you worked very hard in life to get to this station, and more power to you, but there are plenty of posters here who are lucky to cruise in an inside cabin once every 5 or maybe 10 years, and the best they can do is a flight on Spirit to Fort Lauderdale to catch the ship.  Waving your greenbacks under our noses and expecting sympathy is pretty tone deaf.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

@Easyrider949, hey, saw the same post over on the Princess Cruisers group over on FB.  Sure glad you are getting published in all the various forum groups.  That said, am I supposed to cancel my future cruises with Princess on account of your experience?  What is the action I'm supposed to take with all this information?

Here is what I do know, paint dries; plus, ships are always being painted from the time they are born until they go to the breakers because the sea is a terrible mistress.  Most human endeavors are filled with failure before they reach success.  So long as those trying to move forward keep improving, they will find success.  This also means that there will be many future cruises on Sun Princess that will be spectacular for those that are lucky to sail on her.  Sun Princess and her forthcoming sister will have some hiccups, but they will be worked out and undoubtedly they will sail for many years to come, wet paint and all.

As for your flight costs, while I envy nobody, one of the most expensive cruises I've ever booked cost as much as your replacement business class International flight.  I think you are very fortunate that you can book, or attempt to book 3 b2b cruises on a brand new ship, flying business class to Europe and back again.  I will assume that you worked very hard in life to get to this station, and more power to you, but there are plenty of posters here who are lucky to cruise in an inside cabin once every 5 or maybe 10 years, and the best they can do is a flight on Spirit to Fort Lauderdale to catch the ship.  Waving your greenbacks under our noses and expecting sympathy is pretty tone deaf.

….

delete

To OP- I appreciate that you posted on here.

Each of us makes our own decisions and the good , bad & ugly helps us be informed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2and2 said:

Reserve collection mini suite.  They told me onboard that it was only for full suite. But when I booked it they told me I got it also.  It was a flat out lie. That is fine, but that is what the original poster is trying to tell us about her previous favorite cruise line 

Went through months of misinformation being posted on Princess website & confirmed by FC staff on Regal.

They said “ sorry “.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:52 PM, Coral said:

I was booked on the Diamond Princess innaugural and that was going to be out of Seattle. The ship burned so I didn't get to take my initial cruise that was going to be inaugural.

Ouch. Now *that* is some bad luck!

On 3/19/2024 at 1:52 PM, Coral said:

I was surprised to read this, so I Googled:

DiamondPrincessFire-01.jpg

7 hours ago, 2and2 said:

Reserve collection mini suite.  They told me onboard that it was only for full suite. But when I booked it they told me I got it also.  It was a flat out lie. That is fine, but that is what the original poster is trying to tell us about her previous favorite cruise line 

Lying and being mistaken are frequently confused. In your case it's clear that it was the latter.

It might be a small detail to you but it really bugs me when people would rather imply an evil motive to something like that.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Teechur said:

I was surprised to read this, so I Googled:

DiamondPrincessFire-01.jpg

We had plenty of advance notice. Though I had a B2B on the first 2 cruises on the ship.

15 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

Of coarse I did . That is why I was surprised they told me it  was a complimentary promotion. I even tried to make reservations and they told me to do it on board for the first night..I guess they were just fibbing . It turned out my best meal of the cruise was at the main dinning room that first night anyways.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say fibbing.

The phone reps really cannot be reliable, at all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
UPDATE: 

I’m pleased to announce that Princess Cruises has recognized and satisfied our complaint regarding our EZair booking due to their unreasonable short notice cancellation of our Sun Princess 2/18 sailing. They did the right thing, so thank you Princess!

As individuals, when we have been harmed by others we do have a loud voice via Social Media, writing emails to the various folks within the top echelons of the company, and working with your TA to support you. They do monitor these social postings, so there is hope to be heard.

Also, I want to recognize and thank all of those who were empathetic and supportive of our situation. We appreciated your comments and positive thoughts.

For the mean spirited, judgmental, know-it-all, and nasty people on this social forum who were quick to tell us how stupid it was for us for go on an inaugural cruise, that they would never go on one, and those who thought insurance was the answer, when it wasn’t, and that we deserved what happened to us because we should’ve planned better, (even though the reason we booked BtBtB cruises was just in case the ship was delayed being delivered for the 1st & 2nd sailings). We hope you have a blessed day.

As an early adopter to new technology and willingness to explore new concepts we are very much aware of the shortcomings they can bring, but they also can bring excitement and joy. Try being a pioneer sometime and enjoy the journey.

With all of the issues and hurdles we had to get over getting to the Sun Princess, we really did enjoy our experiencing on the Sun Princess inaugural cruise. We look forward to being on her again in October. Also, we look forward to being on the Star Princess inaugural transatlantic crossing.
Edited by Easyrider949
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Easyrider949 said:
UPDATE: 

I’m pleased to announce that Princess Cruises has recognized and satisfied our complaint regarding our EZair booking due to their unreasonable short notice cancellation of our Sun Princess 2/18 sailing. They did the right thing, so thank you Princess!

As individuals, when we have been harmed by others we do have a loud voice via Social Media, writing emails to the various folks within the top echelons of the company, and working with your TA to support you. They do monitor these social postings, so there is hope to be heard.

Also, I want to recognize and thank all of those who were empathetic and supportive of our situation. We appreciated your comments and positive thoughts.

For the mean spirited, judgmental, know-it-all, and nasty people on this social forum who were quick to tell us how stupid it was for us for go on an inaugural cruise, that they would never go on one, and those who thought insurance was the answer, when it wasn’t, and that we deserved what happened to us because we should’ve planned better, (even though the reason we booked BtBtB cruises was just in case the ship was delayed being delivered for the 1st & 2nd sailings). We hope you have a blessed day.

As an early adopter to new technology and willingness to explore new concepts we are very much aware of the shortcomings they can bring, but they also can bring excitement and joy. Try being a pioneer sometime and enjoy the journey.

With all of the issues and hurdles we had to get over getting to the Sun Princess, we really did enjoy our experiencing on the Sun Princess inaugural cruise. We look forward to being on her again in October. Also, we look forward to being on the Star Princess inaugural transatlantic crossing.

Glad it worked out for you.  And thank you for coming back here to tell us all that Princess ultimately did the right thing.  So many don't and just leave the initial complaints out there unresolved.  Happy future cruising!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Easyrider949 said:
UPDATE: 

Nicely summed up.  Sorry you had all the stress (not only with Princess but some of the unwarranted comments to your posting) but pleased you finally got the correct outcome.  Let's hope Princess have learnt a lot over the past few months and in future will keep customers better informed so that they are aware of shortcomings and can make informed choices.  Enjoy your future cruises.

• Like 3