TA in May

We are leaving out of Galveston TX on May 1st to Barcelonian Spain. 

We are stopping in Nassau and Azores 

We would like to know the Temperatures crossing the Atlantic for clothing.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Just Google Azores weather in May.  Nassau will be warm.  Atlantic will probably be comfortable on your balcony but take a coverup in case it is breezy.  EM

45 minutes ago, Jim1949 said:

We would like to know the Temperatures crossing the Atlantic for clothing.  

Also welcome to Cruise Critic!

We took a FLL-Copenhagen cruise over the last week of April to first 10 days of May 2019. 

I don't remember the weather (!), but my packing list says we took waterproof(ed) shoes, SmartWool socks, silk longie bottoms, and mostly synthetic layers for tops, with a wool cardigan and a leather jacket apiece for final layer on top. Also wool hats and travel umbrellas.

We sailed New York to London last May - no issues with high seas nor cold weather.  I wore hiking pants (my go to travel pants) or capris until we hit Ponta Delgado.  Long sleeve shirt and sweater was the most I needed (always have a raincoat outer layer in the suitcase but I do not recall ever wearing it until we were in Europe).  Windy on deck but we still walked outside often.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Since it sounds like you haven’t done an eastbound TA before, I just want to suggest that you not underestimate the effect that losing an hour a day for seven days during your crossing will have on you.  Don’t overschedule yourself, especially in the morning. 

Have a great trip! 

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Since it sounds like you haven’t done an eastbound TA before, I just want to suggest that you not underestimate the effect that losing an hour a day for seven days during your crossing will have on you.  Don’t overschedule yourself, especially in the morning. 

Have a great trip! 

How do you lose an hour a day for 7 days when the US Eastern time zone is currently only 4 hours behind Western Europe? Don’t you only lose 4 hours over 7 days? (Or for us, 4 hours over a 13-day TA)

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Have a great trip! 

Having done a number of TA’s - both directions - I’ve found it very easy to adjust; after all you are not at work, commuting to work, etc. you can lengthen your sleep time a bit. It surely beats handling a 6 hour jump on a flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

We are currently five hours behind as we went on DST before Europe does.  But it will soon be back up to 6.  EM

We’re going from Florida, to the UK, which is currently 4 hours ahead. It will be 5 hours ahead by the time we leave.

There are 3 timezones to cross between Florida, and the UK, and then the final UK timezone. One of those is a 2-hour jump - likely the last one.

But does the ship time change as you cross these timezones? Or does the captain just spread them out? If it’s the former, then there are really only 3 days that change time, plus the final 2 hour jump, somewhere after the Azores, and before Southampton.

Also, I’ve seen mentioned that the captain can choose to make the hour leap mid-day, rather than overnight. This makes more sense to me, as you can still sleep 8 hours.

2 hours ago, tscoffey said:

How do you lose an hour a day for 7 days when the US Eastern time zone is currently only 4 hours behind Western Europe? Don’t you only lose 4 hours over 7 days? (Or for us, 4 hours over a 13-day TA)

The OP specifically said they are leaving from Galveston, TX. That's in the Central Time Zone, not Eastern.  And when Barcelona goes to Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time) on March 31, it will be 7 hours ahead of Galveston.  The OP isn't cruising until May, so it will be a 7-hour time difference.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We are currently five hours behind as we went on DST before Europe does.  But it will soon be back up to 6.  EM

You are correct about Spain not being on DST time yet (they switch on March 31), but the OP is leaving from Galveston, TX, in May, so it will be a 7-hour time difference for them.  (I realize you were replying to @tscoffey, who missed the fact that the OP's cruise leaves from Galveston.)

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Having done a number of TA’s - both directions - I’ve found it very easy to adjust; after all you are not at work, commuting to work, etc. you can lengthen your sleep time a bit. It surely beats handling a 6 hour jump on a flight.

What I suggested to the OP was that they not overschedule themselves.  For example, if you sign up for team trivia that is played every morning at 10am, that will soon be 7am body time and then even earlier.  Not a lot of fun there.  🙂 

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You are correct about Spain not being on DST time yet (they switch on March 31), but the OP is leaving from Galveston, TX, in May, so it will be a 7-hour time difference for them.  (I realize you were replying to @tscoffey, who missed the fact that the OP's cruise leaves from Galveston.)

Indeed, I missed that point about Galveston (and Spain).

Which makes me feel unconcerned about the time changes, as I have fewer of them to deal with. 
And plus, half of the itinerary is after the Azores, and heading mostly north. So only 1 time change before the UK after Ponta Delgada.

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Have a great trip! 

You need to be steaming due East at over 20 kts to need to change the cloxs 1 hr every day. The Azores is only 5 hrs difference from Galveston and Barcelona is 7 hrs difference. Although the OP didn't mention the length of the cruise, I highly doubt they are sailing to Barcelona in 7 days, with 2 stops.

When sailing Eastbound, a number of Masters also change the cloxs at Noon/early afternoon, as it is easier to manage the crew hours of rest.

Completed many East/West crossing at 20+ kts, with 1 hr cloxs every night and had no issues with the time difference, unlike air travel.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

You need to be steaming due East at over 20 kts to need to change the cloxs 1 hr every day. The Azores is only 5 hrs difference from Galveston and Barcelona is 7 hrs difference. Although the OP didn't mention the length of the cruise, I highly doubt they are sailing to Barcelona in 7 days, with 2 stops.

When sailing Eastbound, a number of Masters also change the cloxs at Noon/early afternoon, as it is easier to manage the crew hours of rest.

Completed many East/West crossing at 20+ kts, with 1 hr cloxs every night and had no issues with the time difference, unlike air travel.

Yes - and I am willing to bet OP is talking about a 15+ day itinerary (at least) so an hour time change could only happen every other day at most.   The only quick shot TA’s available today seem to be Cunard’s 7 day from NY to Southampton - so that’s five hours in seven nights.

• Like 1

We have done the spring TA three times.  We always find it quite cool out on deck, due to the wind.  I almost always wore two or three light layers on sea days if I was going to be on an upper deck.