What beach bag do you use?

I've seen tons of beach bags for the beach (ports) or going to the pool and wondering which ones you use.  I was thinking of getting the drawsting one with the lock?  Not sure how people are at Coco or Atlantis.  

Give me some examples of your beach bag.

7 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

I've seen tons of beach bags for the beach (ports) or going to the pool and wondering which ones you use.  I was thinking of getting the drawsting one with the lock?  Not sure how people are at Coco or Atlantis.  

The last one DW has bought, and she bought a lot!

Posted (edited)

I take attractive ones usually available at T.J.Max.  I ordered a bunch of these for the luggage tags and I use them to attach all kinds of things, even works with the beach bag to attach the zipper to my lounger.  Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

luggage tag ties.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

First, what do you expect to carry to the beach?  When my kids were small, I used to carry multiple towels, lots of sunscreen, and beach toys. 

- Back then I liked to carry a large mesh bag; mesh is lighter weight, and it lets the kids' sand fall out.  I definitely wanted everything in ONE bag. 

- Now I carry less -- just my own stuff.  I've been using the same bag forever, and it's not what most people like:  it's a bath bag that my MIL gave me; originally it held Bath & Body Works products.  It's about the size of a 6-pack of sodas and is just right to carry my Kindle, sunscreen, sunglass-readers, and a few more things.  I roll my towel up small, and it fits on top /is sandwiched in by the handles.  

Second, do you need to bring things that need protection? 

- You probably want to carry your phone when you disembark at an island, but do you really need it at Coco Cay?  Do you need it around the ship? 

- I bring my Kindle to Coco Cay, and I'm not all that worried about leaving it on my chair when I get into the water -- I cover it up, but I don't think my fellow cruisers really want to steal someone else's Kindle, especially when that person is nearby.  When I go to lunch on Coco Cay, I leave my towel /sunscreen on the beach chair but bring my small beach bag with my Kindle.  That's just my comfort level. 

- At a beach on an island, I would be more careful.  My husband has swim trunks with a zippered pocket, and he carries our ship IDs, money and credit cards on his person.  

- In addition to your beach bag, consider getting an around-the-neck phone holder that you can take into the water.  Such a thing would be over-kill on the ship.  On the ship, I'm okay leaving my phone in my bag /covered up.  But I'm not okay with that on the islands.  

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

Those rings are a good idea.  

You don't have to (and, truthfully, cannot) make your bag completely theft-proof -- you just have to make it less desirable than the other bags on the beach.  Make your bag harder to access, and the thief will pass you by.  

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I take attractive ones usually available at T.J.Max.  I ordered a bunch of these for the luggage tags and I use them to attach all kinds of things, even works with the beach bag to attach the zipper to my lounger.  Not fool proof but way too undesirable to the casual thief.  I am never far from it.

luggage tag ties.jpg

Great point. If you're not attaching it to something like a lounge chair then all someone has to do is grab the bag.

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

luggage tag ties.jpg

I love this idea!

I have theme on my luggage tags. Someone taking multiple ones off would take time and draw attention from other fellow passengers on a beach. Also gives you time to get out of ocean to stop them.