The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 16th, 2024

kazu

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  I have a zillion errands to do this morning, and until 12 minutes ago they all ran around walking the neighbors dog.  But she is still ill, and is home today, so I don't have to walk the dog. (she was going to work wat the St. Patrick's day parade in Atlanta).

Last nights chorale concert was very interesting.  The conductor announced that there will be a contest sent out to all composers to write a 6-7 minute piece of chorale music, and submit. He will chose the best one (the one he likes best) and the Atlanta Chorale will perform it and produce it (guess meaning it gets printed and out to the chorale world).  And then they performed.  The major piece was written by an Indian woman, and it included a small orchestra and the tabla (drums) and a sitar.  She wrote the piece about not the differences of people's religions in India, but what they have in common.  The conductor said that he hoped that it would make us talk about it after the performance. Well, I loved it.  Overall, we are all brothers and sisters, and we should acknowledge that while there is bad in humans, that we should "Concentrate on the Light". We all shine and while the light comes from different lamps, just concentrate on the light.

Before the concert, there was a gospel chorale from a college in Mississippi singing outside the hall.  I dont think that Emory knew this would happen, because they did not announce it (we always get notice before the concert)  but they were great  Turns out there was a singing competition at Spellman this weekend.

I think ? i mentioned we moved Tigger into the house.  He chased Furnando, furnando chased him.  Bob swatted at him several times, and last night while watching tv, Bob was on the back of the sofa, and his eyes were wide open.  I think Tigger will learn so much!

1d9a0594df440de352b6954ad32bce61.jpg

I may have not been "here" on day one, but to all of you, regardless of when you became a dailyite-

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Happy Anniversary Dailyites!

@kazu Jacqui, not just my records, but CC’s records show that this is the anniversary of the day Rich introduced the Daily!

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Thank you for our maps, Roy! Dixie & Debbie, thank you for your beverage & food info! It is an honor to be part of the F & B department with you. Sandi & Lenda, thank you for all the amazing photos you share. Vanessa, keeper of our lists - thank you for keeping up with all of us. I really do not know how you do it!

@richwmn
Rich, thank you for creating this amazing place for all of us!

To all my fellow Dailyites - thank you for sharing your lives with all of us!

A bit cloudy this morning. Cats are fed, Bindi walked & fed, sipping coffee! Need to get out and fertilize everything- though another cold front is expected Tuesday. Praying we don’t lose our oak leaves for the fourth time this year. Our pollen has been horrific since January.  It has just seemed to slow down, so the past two nights, Brayden (my Sister’s Grandson) and I have eaten supper outside. And the pool water has just reached 85!
@summer slope
 Ready for swimming! He is off school this week, so we might get in & play some badminton!

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, thinking of you & Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Bota Box Nighthawk Bold Cabernet Sauvignon 

This Cab from Chile has lots of consumer fans, is easy to find and reasonably priced. Online prices start at $17.49.

Winemaker’s notes

TASTING NOTES

Nighthawk Black Cabernet Sauvignon channels the hedonistic side of this classic grape variety. A single sip dives into lingering flavors of dark black cherry, blackberry, and cocoa. Velvety tannins and hints of baking spice brings balance to this full-bodied wine.

PAIRS WITH

This complex aged red makes a perfect guest for any dinner party, paired with porterhouse steak or your favorite BBQ.

WINE DETAILS

Alcohol: 13.5%

• Like 18
  • Thanks 15

Posted (edited)

Happy 4th Anniversary to the Daily!!   🍾🎂

It is a beautiful chilly morning today.  The main pair of swans on the lake built a nest in the cat tails behind the house and she finally settled in on it yesterday.  Poor thing we are going to get lake effect snow the next couple days and a protracted cold spell.

Thanks for the Daily Reports and maps Jacqui and Roy!   a good quote today.   I will pass on the cocktail and the box wine but the non-air fryer chicken would be wonderful.  Thanks for researching these for us each day! 

Thanks for the cares and celebrations lists Vanessa.   Wow @Nickelpenny you won a cruise too!  You deserve some positive excitement from this cruise!   Prayers for everyone on our care list and those in war zones, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.   

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the photos of Moorea today.  We will be there in March next year on our long winter sojourn on a BHB.   I am working on my calendar for the cruises today as I have booked so many HIA that I need to get them straight so when our Roll Calls are offering up private excursions I will be prepared to jump on them.  I expect there will be more beautiful photos from @Quartzsite Cruiser and others.   Have a nice Saturday.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@kazu Jacqui, not just my records, but CC’s records show that this is the anniversary of the day Rich introduced the Daily!

I didn’t doubt you - I was just being cautious as I was surprised it wasn’t listed already on the “Today is” section.  I added it 😉 

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Good days today and important days in history. Aligned with the quote, pass on the drink but it does look pretty, big yes to the chicken which also looks pretty, would like the wine, have not been to the port but quite enjoy all the pictures - the scenery is beautiful and the food looks good! I detect a theme here... 🙄🥴

Today's agenda is a trip to liquor store for a bottle of Bailey's and a slow day at home mopping up mud.😅 well how strange - I didn't add that emoji and I'm not able to delete it, so I guess the CC powers that be think mud mopping is funny. 

No idea what the temperature and forecast are - phone died during the night, so I'm on my tablet. All I know is it's not raining - yay!

Prayers and positive thoughts for all.🙏

Happy Anniversary, Daily!! 🥂

Congrats again @Nickelpenny and extra hugs 🤗as you return to a home without your beloved Martina. 💙

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

I didn’t doubt you - I was just being cautious as I was surprised it wasn’t listed already on the “Today is” section.  I added it 😉 

Rich is way too modest! 

• Like 22

Beautiful crisp morning at 43F. A few puffy clouds. A great day for a parade! 🍀☘️

Yesterday was 60s and very Springlike with a dark, fast, heavy shower for just a few minutes- the exact minutes DH walked from car into Home Depot!  

DH is sleeping, will check eye pressures around 10 🤞. It was making me crazy last night, unexpected readings, on a  Friday night!  After 1-ish I got to sleep so not too bad a night. I don’t know how Annie @marshhawk does it with so many crazy unexpected ups and downs… but Annie you inspire me!  🤩 

We’ve been blessed to visit Mo’orea twice. DH’s panoramas are unpacked but not on the wall yet, soon!  Stunning place. 

Grandkids said they’d come today, hoping that happens. There’s still lemon meringue pie to share with them 😌

We got special instructions about making Easter dinner reservations in our dining rooms, haven’t seen the menu yet but the hours are for a midday dinner. I think we’ll pass. We’ll already be beyond our allotted number of dinners for the month (1each per day) having shared twice with grandkids so we’re thinking it’s a good opportunity to do something different, not sure what but we’ll open our thinking!  

Bon Voyage to @Suslor @RedneckBob and @Crazy For Cats 🛳️🍾

Welcome home Pennie!  Looking forward to hearing more about your free cruise and how that works!  

Serious blessings to all who are ill, caring for loved ones recovering or not recovering, all on our Care list, all in need of a lift!  

In my Mindful Meditation class yesterday we spent a bit of time talking about the importance of finding our peace in stormy times. Our world is filled with storms. The Daily has been a place of peace!  Thank you all for being here!  
Maureen 

PS. 4 yrs ago we were in Houston for treatment for DH at MD Anderson Cancer Center. A very Amazing place!  We were lucky to be guided to a rental trailer to live comfortably for 15 weeks from Jan 6- April 16. It was all very difficult but then the really wild times hit!  We each had our own wild times through it all, we each found our way through somehow to get to be here and now, some with scarring losses. All of us came through changed, and we keep going with each other’s caring love and loving care! Give yourself a big hug, and Enjoy something beautiful today! Thanks to all who share their beautiful memories and photos!  m—

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

I just went to cruisetimetables and google maps about today's port.  Cruise ships actually tender to the mouth of the bay as shown by the red arrow:

image.png.5d2bbb85a2e86de08b3666866a2bf9cf.png

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Anniversary to the FR&D; thanks go to @richwmn for getting this started.  In the past 4 years, we've gotten to know each other and our families; we've laughed together, cried together, celebrated the birth of babies and the loss of loved ones.  We are spread across a few countries and still come together as a family almost every day.  We are so fortunate to have this welcoming space to come to share our life's ups and downs.

Saluting the black press, after everything I thought was wrong, I'm happy to do everything right today, and it's important to have freedom of information.

Bon Voyage to our Daily-ites:  @Suslor, @Crazy For Cats, and @RedneckBob.   

@Nickelpenny, Congratulations on another win; you just know that Martina was sitting on your lap giving you the best ju ju ever!!!

@marshhawk, congratulations on your sale yesterday; I hope it's just the beginning of a winning streak for you!

@RMLincolnI hope DH's eye pressures even out - why do things always go to heck late on a Friday night???

Yesterday when we were out, I stopped to get some milk and discovered there was ground beef on sale, so bought a couple of large family packs, which today will be made into porcupine balls, packaged and frozen for later use.  Around 1 we're meeting our friends Wayne & Fran for brunch and will catch up on how he's doing and maybe what we should look at planning for a future get-away for the 4 of us.  Unfortunately, because we'll be at brunch, I won't get to watch sail-away to wave to any of you who will be heading out of FLL.

I think I'd like to try the drink of the day, will say a definite yes to the Cardboardeaux, and do love a rotisserie chicken.  Because I'm making up all the porcupine balls to freeze, I'll save some for us and serve them up with mashed potatoes and air fried asparagus at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and in turmoil.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites from a cool windy 60 with chance of showers. Sure hoping we get some rain soon.

Wow! Look at the celebration list! Congratulations to all!

image.png.ad335cb2b89b21dd4269049f1fbb7f00.png

I remember when Rich suggested adding more stuff to the Fleet Report. It was during the Covid outbreak when some if us (Roy, Denise, myself) were getting kicked off ships. It helped a lot getting us through the dark times.

Thank you Rich and all who contribute! You are appreciated!

image.png.fa0b06df3daa6ac527e2544ecaaeb101.png

Prayers are said throughout the day, gosh.. what crazy, changing, challenging times.

image.png.1b789dc03a4e047c949eca89ea67deb8.png

I just made a chicken tortilla soup last night, so will save Debbie's recipes for another day.

If the weather holds, we will go to Farmer's market and lunch. I have leftover soup, salad, and crusty bread for dinner.

Blessings to each of you. Have a safe, healthy, happy weekend. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Bon Voyage to @RedneckBob, @Suslor and @Crazy For Cats!

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, congratulations on your huge winnings and free cruise! 

Today the St Patrick’s Day parade is in the city. My neighborhood has a large Irish population and we have many Irish flags out on both houses and businesses. I will make a nice Irish stew for tomorrow as there are no corned beef and cabbage fans here. I noticed that all types of potatoes were on sale in the grocery store yesterday, 

We are on our own this weekend as the expected assistance was not available. Tana is holding her own but finds it very difficult to walk more than a few steps due to her oxygen needs. She keeps trying everyday  although it is frustrating for all. 
Four years of the Daily is a major celebration! Thank you to everyone who makes this such a great place to visit every day.

Sending Tana our love and best wishes Terry.

Graham.

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites from a cool windy 60 with chance of showers. Sure hoping we get some rain soon.

Wow! Look at the celebration list! Congratulations to all!

image.png.ad335cb2b89b21dd4269049f1fbb7f00.png

I remember when Rich suggested adding more stuff to the Fleet Report. It was during the Covid outbreak when some if us (Roy, Denise, myself) were getting kicked off ships. It helped a lot getting us through the dark times.

Thank you Rich and all who contribute! You are appreciated!

image.png.fa0b06df3daa6ac527e2544ecaaeb101.png

Prayers are said throughout the day, gosh.. what crazy, changing, challenging times.

image.png.1b789dc03a4e047c949eca89ea67deb8.png

I just made a chicken tortilla soup last night, so will save Debbie's recipes for another day.

If the weather holds, we will go to Farmer's market and lunch. I have leftover soup, salad, and crusty bread for dinner.

Blessings to each of you. Have a safe, healthy, happy weekend. 

I wish you and Allen a wonderful weekend too Joy.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some days one wonders if we are snakebite. So many changes on our World Voyage. The latest is we are in fuel conservation mode. Between some strong seas, currents, use of stabilizers and a port that was unable to refuel us we are having itinerary changes and fuel saving measures onboard.

We are now forced to take on fuel in Cebu, Philippine which will make our visit to Manila and Hong Kong one day versus two day’s in each port. Sorry for our Filipino crew who had made plans to see family in Manila. We have asked management if a fund could be established to help crew with some of the travel and accommodation expenses they may lose in trying to see their families in Manila.

It is what it is but between the war in Israel and Ukraine, Red Sea and now this have many wondering what’s next in itinerary changes and schedule.

In order to conserve fuel they have closed the two specialty restaurants for next two days.

Guess we will not get to see or do much in Manila or Hong Kong.

We will cope with this and still maintain smiles. 
Thanks for the report and post. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 17

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've been to Moorea twice, once on Golden Princess in 2014 and again on Maasdam in 2017.  In 2014 we went on a private tour with a CC group.  It involved a Polynesian BBQ, ray and shark feeding, sightseeing at a barrier reef, snorkeling, etc.  The day after this we were scheduled on a tour with Patrick in Bora Bora so they were essentially the same description tours, but Patrick's was much better!  Still, I can show you a few photos from Moorea. 

Arrival at the pier.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Welcoming committee.

Scenes along the way

Stingray feeding

I was a little nervous watching this from the boat.

I did go out when they spread out a little bit and that was fun, but when the sharks came I got back in the boat to watch.

Arriving at the motu for the BarBQ.

Not quite the same as Patrick's pig roast in a pit!

The food and drink was good though, and after we ate you could take a little dip in the water to cool down.

In 2017 on the Maasdam, we sailed from Papeete to Moorea in the early morning because they are only about 18 nautical miles apart.  A beautiful sunshine-y day!

The reefs visible in the water

When we reached shore on our tenders we were met with dancers and musicians, local foods and lots of jewelry.  We stayed in town this day since we hadn't done that last visit

Free food!

We bought a pair of black pearl earrings for me that day.

We walked around the village and then peeped into the Ebenezer Church.  It was Easter Sunday.

And a look at a unique treat at dinner that night for Easter Sunday.

Sorry about the number of photos!  So much to see there.

Lovely photos Sandi.

Great to see somewhere new for us.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

We left the hotel at 9:20. Everyone was there early and we left.  No additional stops and we were at the ship by 9:45.  Security and check in was fast, no lines. For the first time in a long time the crew is setting up drinks and cookies in the waiting area. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That is very thoughtful Graham. I wondered how Pauline and your Sarah were holding up, and you 3 are in my prayers. 

Thank you Joy.

Pauline was 10 years old 52 years ago when her sister aged 16 brought her husband to be to to her parents house.

Pauline is upset that he died aged 69.

He changed 8 years ago and was not the nice person we thought he was.

Sarah is most upset that her parents never reached out to her in the last 8 years and especially his last 5 weeks when he knew he had terminal liver cancer and told neighbours but not us.

She only found out when we were concerned that 2 ambulances 2 paramedic cars and 2 police cars came into our close and we rang her and she rang her mam who finally answered her phone calls to tell Sarah her dad was dead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 16