Bummer

Fishwife2016

Was headed to port this morning to get on the Seashore only to realize my mom (who lives in NC) forgot her passport and does not have her birth certificate with her.  So guess we won't be cruising this week.

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is my worst fear...forgetting to pack my documents.  I'd ask at the pier if there is any recourse.  Can someone in NC get copies faxed or e-mailed?  Is that even an option?

So sorry...

I believe I have read this has been done before, the copy/fax scenario. I’d definitely inquire either at port or via phone with customer service 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is my worst fear...forgetting to pack my documents.  I'd ask at the pier if there is any recourse.  Can someone in NC get copies faxed or e-mailed?  Is that even an option?

So sorry...

Nope, she lives alone.  I talked to customer service this morning (very nice person) and our options were to be considered no shows or I go alone.  I couldn't change her to my husband as departure was today.  She said we will get port fees and taxes refunded.

1 hour ago, dsnutz said:

I believe I have read this has been done before, the copy/fax scenario. I’d definitely inquire either at port or via phone with customer service 

I talked to 2 different customer service reps and believe it or not, I got the same answer from both reps.  They both said it would not be accepted at the port.  Problem lies also that she doesn't have anyone to access her safe where her documents are stored.

37 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Can an unforced error like this still be partially recouped with the cancel-for-any-reason provision of travel insurance?

Possibly, I'm looking into it.

• Like 1

Omg I would be so incredibly upset- that’s a very expensive oversight.

We live in a border town and even then, when we go stateside I check for my passport like 6x before we leave, in the driveway, before we get on highway etc. I can’t imagine how compulsively I’m going to check before an international cruise.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 8:44 AM, Fishwife2016 said:

Was headed to port this morning to get on the Seashore only to realize my mom (who lives in NC) forgot her passport and does not have her birth certificate with her.  So guess we won't be cruising this week.

Easy, leave Mom at your place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, no1talks said:

Can an unforced error like this still be partially recouped with the cancel-for-any-reason provision of travel insurance?

Sorry, I believe all CFAR policies require that you cancel your insured travel plans and notify suppliers at least 48 hours (two days) before your scheduled departure for your 75% refund minus whatever the cruise line gives back like port fees and prepurchased shore-x. 

Edited by Brighton Line
  • Like 1

This is a great reason to have an enhanced license or a passport card that you just keep in your wallet! Either can be used for closed-circuit cruises from a US port. I always bring my passport on cruises, because I am terrified of getting stranded in a foreign country, but I do always have my passport card with me at least.

12 hours ago, Preziosa said:

Same for us, you have to do it

Exactly......we get in the car to go to the airport, and before leaving we all check that we have our passports.

So sorry it happened to you (OP).

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:01 AM, JamieLogical said:

This is a great reason to have an enhanced license or a passport card that you just keep in your wallet! Either can be used for closed-circuit cruises from a US port. I always bring my passport on cruises, because I am terrified of getting stranded in a foreign country, but I do always have my passport card with me at least.

This is a good idea. I will get a card next time I renew my passport. This will give me more peace of mind to have the card when I get off the ship in ports. I don't bring my passport ashore because I don't want to be worried about it getting lost or stolen.

3 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

This is a good idea. I will get a card next time I renew my passport. This will give me more peace of mind to have the card when I get off the ship in ports. I don't bring my passport ashore because I don't want to be worried about it getting lost or stolen.

That's what we do as well. We also prefer not to carry our passports around with us in most ports. A passport card won't be sufficient for flying out of a foreign country in an emergency, but I would think having one on you might make it a bit quicker/easier to work with the Embassy or whatever authorities you would need to go through.