Are the pull out sofa beds (vs bunk beds) a big inconvenience?

Sunny03

Posted (edited)

My family of 4 (me, husband, 2 teen girls) are looking to go on a Celebrity cruise. We were surprised to see that some of the rooms have pull out trundle sofa beds, rather than bunkbeds. This looks like a terrible set up to us. We feel like this trundle bed set up would take up a lot of space in the room, making it difficult to walk around and making the room feel much more crowded.

From what I read, the steward is supposed to make up the two beds each morning and tuck them away, but we are not really fond of this option. I know some people are never in their room, but our family enjoys spending time in the room. On our last cruise, we spent about half of our day in our room with the balcony door open enjoying the sites and sounds. Because of this, we liked the fact that the kids beds were always opened. They would each get on their beds and just chill out or read or take a nap.

We are looking at doing a 2 to 3 week cruise, so we want to make sure the cabin is extra comfortable. I feel like the pullout sofa bed would be more of a frustration and make the trip less enjoyable.

Has anyone here had four people in one of these rooms with the pullout sofa bed?

What was your experience?

What are your thoughts?

From what I explained about what our family likes, would you recommend one of these rooms or recommend choosing a ship with traditional bunkbeds?

Edited by Sunny03
Add info

• Sunny03 changed the title to Are the pull out sofa beds (vs bunk beds) a big inconvenience?

Unless you spring for a "family-style" suite, this is what you're going to be faced with.  Yes, it will take up a huge amount of room with very little (if any) walk-around space.  Or, you might consider a connecting room.  You'll likely need to book the rooms with one adult in each to satisfy age requirements.  Once you get on board you can make whatever actual sleeping arrangements you wish.

• Like 1

On Celebrity, children can stay in an adjoining room, or across the hall by themselves, without needing to have an adult registered in that room with them.  

I think the larger issue, however, is finding a 2 to 3 week cruise. I’m sure that would entail at least a back to back scenario, with two or more cruises consecutively.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Unless you spring for a "family-style" suite, this is what you're going to be faced with.  Yes, it will take up a huge amount of room with very little (if any) walk-around space.  Or, you might consider a connecting room.  You'll likely need to book the rooms with one adult in each to satisfy age requirements.  Once you get on board you can make whatever actual sleeping arrangements you wish.

We looked at a suite or 2 rooms, but we can’t afford it. Even if we could, I don’t think we would choose to do 2 rooms. We like having all four of us in the room together. It allows for more family time. Even though we might each be doing our own thing, we’re still together and occasionally someone will go “hey, listen to this…” and tell us about something they just read/saw. We’ll discuss it for a bit and then go back to our own thing. 

We also don’t mind the small space (we regularly camp or stay in small cabins). We’re just worried that the pull out bed will take up most of the walking space and we’ll be scooting around things and getting frustrated. 

Edited by Sunny03

Just now, Sunny03 said:

Were just worried that the pull out bed will take up most of the walking space and we’ll be scooting around things and getting frustrated. 

Well, you've got the right idea as to what it will be like!  Hope you have a good cruise!

4 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

On Celebrity, children can stay in an adjoining room, or across the hall by themselves, without needing to have an adult registered in that room with them.  

I think the larger issue, however, is finding a 2 to 3 week cruise. I’m sure that would entail at least a back to back scenario, with two or more cruises consecutively.

We’ve already found several. We’re doing a transatlantic/repositioning cruise. They run 12ish-22ish days.  

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, you've got the right idea as to what it will be like!  Hope you have a good cruise!

Yeah, it’s really too bad that Celebrity uses this trundle bed design in some of their ships. It’s seems like an awful design. 

It depends on the class of ship as to the bed configuration.  Some have the sofa bed that does not fold out and a bunk above it.  Some have a foldout single with bunk above the large bed.  But also importantly, keeping your balcony door open sucks a/c out of other rooms in your sector to keep your room cool.  It’s a no no, and there are signs on the balcony doors asking you not to do it.  EM

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sunny03 said:

My family of 4 (me, husband, 2 teen girls) are looking to go on a Celebrity cruise. We were surprised to see that some of the rooms have pull out trundle sofa beds, rather than bunkbeds. This looks like a terrible set up to us. We feel like this trundle bed set up would take up a lot of space in the room, making it difficult to walk around and making the room feel much more crowded.

From what I read, the steward is supposed to make up the two beds each morning and tuck them away, but we are not really fond of this option. I know some people are never in their room, but our family enjoys spending time in the room. On our last cruise, we spent about half of our day in our room with the balcony door open enjoying the sites and sounds. Because of this, we liked the fact that the kids beds were always opened. They would each get on their beds and just chill out or read or take a nap.

We are looking at doing a 2 to 3 week cruise, so we want to make sure the cabin is extra comfortable. I feel like the pullout sofa bed would be more of a frustration and make the trip less enjoyable.

Has anyone here had four people in one of these rooms with the pullout sofa bed?

What was your experience?

What are your thoughts?

From what I explained about what our family likes, would you recommend one of these rooms or recommend choosing a ship with traditional bunkbeds?

What ship(s) are you considering?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It depends on the class of ship as to the bed configuration.  Some have the sofa bed that does not fold out and a bunk above it.  Some have a foldout single with bunk above the large bed.  But also importantly, keeping your balcony door open sucks a/c out of other rooms in your sector to keep your room cool.  It’s a no no, and there are signs on the balcony doors asking you not to do it.  EM

Glad you mentioned the open balc  sliders...Leaving one's slider door open  affects other cabins by creating a high pitch whirring noise that can often be heard  under other cabin  doors on the hallway..

Sometimes placing a towel or blanket at the cabin door helps, but not always.  We have experienced ship staff going along affected hallways to  remind folks to keep the sliders closed other than when  in use. 

-----------‐-------

As to 4 in a reg size cabin..very tight for clothes  and shoe storage, bathroom/ shower use ,(esp with 2 teen girls) and in general moving about.  In some ships the Concierge Cabin is a bit larger or there may be family staterooms available.

What ships have you sailed on where 4  in a reg cabin was a  comfortable fit?  A longer cruise as you describe is a long time to be crammed in!

Edited by hcat

We love our daughter, (now 26), but even on vacation, there were times we needed our space and she needed hers.  I can’t imagine being cramped in 1 balcony room for that long with just 1 teen, let alone 2. 😜. Lol!  I just thought of your poor hubby—-waiting on the bathroom with 3 ladies. 😂 I bet he’ll find another bathroom the 1st day! 😂😂

Seriously, I hate that y’all don’t have many options, but our vote would be for a shorter cruise and bigger cabin.  

Whatever you choose, enjoy! 🛳️

good idea.. shorter cruise 2 cabins!

stuffing 4 into one room  just does not seem like fun....even if X is now allowing it. 

I believe there are overall capacity limits set by  # of life boats   Good luck!