Can't View Southwest Airline Reservation made by NCL

med02

We've never booked airline reservations through NCL before and have not flown Southwest previously. I am not able to view our upcoming April 6th reservation on Southwest's website using the locator number NCL has provided. Is there a way to confirm this reservation through Southwest?

Did NCL give you a six-character locator, or something else?

If the six-character code is valid, you should be able to retrieve it from the app or website.

And, of course, there is always picking up the telephone and calling Southwest directly.

As FlyerTalker said, we need some clarification as to what locator NCL gave. Is it for an NCL cruise reservation, or is it specific to the flight? In either case, if it's not working and you don't see any other locater attached to the flight portion, you'll probably need to reach out to NCL as the travel agent for your flight (which essentially they are) to get that so you can verify everything is correct, and that you can check in ahead of time. 

Thanks for your replies. I did just call NCL Air Department and they were able to verify that I am unable to access my flight information online, nor can I check in online or print boarding passes. We will need to do all of this at the airport prior to departure. Per Southwest policies it is because we have our return flights scheduled with another airline that they are unable to provide us with a confirmation number to access online. Strange but I guess it is what it is and we have to trust NCL that they booked our flights properly. We are able to see our return flights with Delta online so that half is good.  

1 minute ago, med02 said:

Strange but I guess it is what it is and we have to trust NCL that they booked our flights properly. 

I wouldn't trust them. Nothing against NCL, but as the traveler it's in your best interest to have all of the info confirmed. You do still have a Southwest confirmation code somewhere. If NCL won't provide that to you, that's ridiculous. I guess call Southwest, but really NCL should be giving the info to you since you paid for them to procure it. Even at the airport, most check-in is done via kiosk and it would behoove you to have that information. 

I don't know much about Southwest, so can't comment on what NCL says. It does sound odd. Have you actually seen this policy stated anywhere or is that just was a random person at NCL told you? 

• Like 1

I'm going to second Zach.  This sounds very fishy.

Southwest doesn't care what your return flight is like.  You probably have different locators for the two airlines, as WN doesn't interline.  FWIW, I've taken a number of trips where I used WN in one direction and another carrier on the other.  Never did either care what my other flights might be.

And back to the original question from me....do you have an actual WN locator?  Not an NCL reference, but from WN.  I think that "unable to provide" comment is a HUGE red flag.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, med02 said:

Per Southwest policies it is because we have our return flights scheduled with another airline that they are unable to provide us with a confirmation number to access online.

This sounds odd to me, too. If your return flights are with another airline, I would expect that Southwest will probably never even know about that part of your trip. So far as Southwest is concerned, you'll be in the same position as if you were only flying one way on Southwest. If another airline is flying you home from the cruise, Southwest probably has no need and perhaps no right to know anything about it.

If you want to follow this up, my suggestion would be to call Southwest next and find out whether they will talk to you. After all, they should be able to locate your reservation using your name and flight details. If they will talk to you, then they may be happy to provide you with the booking reference. As your flight is so close, I would expect that NCL has not only made the reservation with the airline but also by now issued your air tickets.

It was an actual WN locator number and not a Norwegian cruise number. NCL sent me another Air Flight Confirmation and it lists the round trip flights with Southwest and Delta under a PNR Record Locator number which is also used as the WN confirmation number. The Delta portion has a different confirmation number. Anyway, I also called Southwest and after some research they were able to retrieve my flight information with them so I can now view it online. I was happy with that until after I hung up and discovered I still get an error message when trying to access it so not sure I will be able to check in online. I don't have the energy to make another long phone call today. Thanks for all your responses.

I would not be happy with being unable to check in prior to getting to the airport (particularly if you are traveling with someone else).  If you have not flown with Southwest before, you might want to research their boarding process.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, med02 said:

It was an actual WN locator number and not a Norwegian cruise number. NCL sent me another Air Flight Confirmation and it lists the round trip flights with Southwest and Delta under a PNR Record Locator number which is also used as the WN confirmation number. The Delta portion has a different confirmation number. Anyway, I also called Southwest and after some research they were able to retrieve my flight information with them so I can now view it online. I was happy with that until after I hung up and discovered I still get an error message when trying to access it so not sure I will be able to check in online. I don't have the energy to make another long phone call today. Thanks for all your responses.

That's not good especially with WN. You'll be stuck in a middle seat in the back of the aircraft if you can't check in ahead and/or buy Early Bird Check In and/or pay for a better boarding spot.  

You may want to call them back or try DMing them on Twitter.  And probably avoid NCL's 'free" air in the future but I digress.  NCL's 'free' air may be free but it's really a hot mess.  I never hear any good stories about it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Following up my original concern with SW Airlines online capability.  After working on this for a couple of weeks I finally received the answer from SW yesterday. Because NCL booked the second segment of travel with a different airline than SW, I am unable to check in online and am not able to print boarding passes online. I will need to call them when the check in window opens to check in and get my boarding passes. Not ideal, but at least I have a workable answer. Because of all the hoops I have had to deal with this process, I tend to agree that NCL's free air is a mess. But also, I will not willingly book with SW in the future. Thanks to all who replied here. 

That makes absolutely no sense.  You don't need a round-trip ticket on the same airline to be able to check in for the one-way on WN.  I hope the price of this ticket made it worth the hassle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

That makes absolutely no sense.  You don't need a round-trip ticket on the same airline to be able to check in for the one-way on WN.  I hope the price of this ticket made it worth the hassle.

It did because of the BOGO airfare was return flight from Rome. I'm retired so not much invested except my time and frustration. It was a good learning lesson for NCL Air and SW. Won't do it again. Over 30 cruises and had to fly each time without a hiccup. We've been lucky.

2 hours ago, med02 said:

But also, I will not willingly book with SW in the future.

This makes no sense, either. If you had actually booked with Southwest, you wouldn't have had this problem. It was the way that NCL made the booking that seems to have caused it.

Refusing to book with WN in the future, just because NCL messed you around this time, is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Refusing to book with WN in the future, just because NCL messed you around this time, is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No, it is because it took 3 phone calls with SW before they told me I couldn't check in online and print boarding passes. First two agents told me I could. Would have been a non issue if I had been told that weeks ago. It's primarily all about the customer service.

11 hours ago, med02 said:

Following up my original concern with SW Airlines online capability.  After working on this for a couple of weeks I finally received the answer from SW yesterday. Because NCL booked the second segment of travel with a different airline than SW, I am unable to check in online and am not able to print boarding passes online. I will need to call them when the check in window opens to check in and get my boarding passes. Not ideal, but at least I have a workable answer. Because of all the hoops I have had to deal with this process, I tend to agree that NCL's free air is a mess. But also, I will not willingly book with SW in the future. Thanks to all who replied here. 

I don't think you're getting a straight answer from NCL.  Southwest has no trouble accepting a one-way reservation - they sort of pioneered this concept, IIRC - and there is nothing in their system or set up that would prevent you from viewing that reservation, checking in online, and printing or downloading your boarding pass.  I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer, even though I'm sure the thought of spending even more time on it makes your eyes roll back in your head.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, med02 said:

No, it is because it took 3 phone calls with SW before they told me I couldn't check in online and print boarding passes. First two agents told me I could. Would have been a non issue if I had been told that weeks ago. It's primarily all about the customer service.

If that's where you set the bar for refusing to travel again with an airline, you're going to run out of airlines pretty quickly!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I also agree I have no idea why this would prevent you from checking in if you have your PNR.  I would just try checking in online and see what happens.

Ditto.  I still feel there is something missing in this whole affair.

• Like 1