13 Nt Western Europe Transatlantic - What to Wear

Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and then to Belgium, Ireland, and England.  Staying post trip in London, 3days, and Dublin, 3 days.  What should I pack for clothes?  Do I need summer clothes and then have to switch to winter clothes 1/2 way through the atlantic ocean?  Thanks for any advice.

Based on description I would guess the Apex departing FortLauderdale May 2.

i would take spring clothes and have a warm sweater or jacket and a raincoat.  

• Like 3

For sure a raincoat/poncho of some sort.  I've been rained on a whole lot during/after Spring TAs and it's usually too windy for an umbrella (and umbrellas are a hassle anyway).  But all the gardens are glorious at that time of the year!  

Sailed out of Cape Liberty last year, end of April.  I wore capris and skirts on board, needed my hiking pants on deck and a sweater.  We had smooth sailing.  First port was Po at Delgado where it was very warm and humid.  Then France for 3 days and I again wore hiking pants and a long sleeve shirt at the beach at Utah Beach, Normandy.  Train to Paris - hiking pants, tee and raincoat in case.  

I'd suggest looking at average temperatures (including daily highs and lows) and rainfall for the last few years.  There is a good historical weather tool as part of www.timeanddate.com.  They also predict 2 weeks out, which would be helpful as well.  We were in London last May and 2-3 layers and a raincoat were enough for me, although I am usually a lot more uncomfortable than most in cool/cold weather.  Rain and wind makes it feel colder, so a raincoat and sturdy, waterproof shoes will be your friends.

We are on the same cruise and am planning on casual spring type of clothing on board, with a light weight sweater as it is always cold inside.  We too are going to Ireland after and I will pack a pair of jeans, a couple of long sleeve shirts, rain coat and maybe a light jacket.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

UK could have snow, ice, hail, heatwave or mixture of all of the above. So hard to predict but you'd need clothes for warm weather and much cooler, especially evenings.

Weather in the UK and Dublin is generally cool with a bit of foggy mornings.  We saw 50s and 60 at sea.  On land a jacket, sweater and a waterproof jacket will be all you need.

We will be on this same cruise with you.    We are also in the Orlando area.   Taking the Brightline to Fort Lauderdale and staying two nights at The Riverside.  I am still trying to figure out the best way to get from Southampton (with luggage) to our hotel in London.   And still trying to decide what we want to do in London.  We've seen all the usual tourist spots,   I am thinking at least one day to the Cotswolds.  I better get working on this.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Remlar5555 said:

Leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and then to Belgium, Ireland, and England.  Staying post trip in London, 3days, and Dublin, 3 days.  What should I pack for clothes?  Do I need summer clothes and then have to switch to winter clothes 1/2 way through the atlantic ocean?  Thanks for any advice.

The answer is always the same - layers, with the top one being waterproof. Remember there is no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Honor said:

We will be on this same cruise with you.    We are also in the Orlando area.   Taking the Brightline to Fort Lauderdale and staying two nights at The Riverside.  I am still trying to figure out the best way to get from Southampton (with luggage) to our hotel in London.   And still trying to decide what we want to do in London.  We've seen all the usual tourist spots,   I am thinking at least one day to the Cotswolds.  I better get working on this.    

Winchester is a lovely historic visit . We stayed 3 nights . It is a train or bus stop on the way to London

My Scottish mother used to say ‘ne’er cast a clout, ‘til May be out’.  This is good advice for the UK and Ireland in May.  Carry a waterproof jacket and have a cosy fleece/sweater to hand.

Catherine

9 hours ago, Honor said:

National Express Coaches (bus) goes direct from Southampton (Harbour Parade not University)  to London Victoria. Book online for the best prices. Cost from around £12 ($15) per person. From Victoria take the Tube of Cab depending on where your hotel is.

Canterbury makes an interesting day out - train from several London Stations - pre book for best prices.

A river cruise to Hampton Court gives you a unique view of London plus the wonder of Hampton Court Palace - full day needed.

If you like Gardens then Kew is another great day out - easily accessible by public transport.

Some great ideas.   I am thinking Hampton Court Palace one day and Cotswolds another day.   Maybe a quick tour of St. Paul’s Cathedral (my husband’s grandmother was related to Christopher Wren) and a show in the West End for our disembarkation day.   I just now booked the train to Waterloo.  I guess a taxi then to our hotel.  I am still worried about getting our luggage onto and out of the train.  But I am sure we will manage.  Thanks for the tips and I hope to see you onboard. 

47 minutes ago, Honor said:

Some great ideas.   I am thinking Hampton Court Palace one day and Cotswolds another day.   Maybe a quick tour of St. Paul’s Cathedral (my husband’s grandmother was related to Christopher Wren) and a show in the West End for our disembarkation day.   I just now booked the train to Waterloo.  I guess a taxi then to our hotel.  I am still worried about getting our luggage onto and out of the train.  But I am sure we will manage.  Thanks for the tips and I hope to see you onboard. 

The train from London to Hampton Court Palace is easy peasy and included in the fare of your Tube pass. Other trains require regular train tickets. Once off the train, turn right for the short walk to the palace and don't forget to stop for your tickets and headphones.

As far as luggage, consider that trains aren't ideal unless you are very strong and can manage a large piece on your own. I would only take a carryon bag. 

21 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

The train from London to Hampton Court Palace is easy peasy and included in the fare of your Tube pass.

For the avoidance of doubt, the station is called "Hampton Court".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

ncluded in the fare of your Tube pass.

Yes, the train to Hampton Court is straightforward.  But tube passes are, to all intents and purposes, a thing of the past - not good value or useful for visitors.    Just tap a contactless card (or smartphone / smartwatch) on the station entrance/exit gates, as you do for all other travel within London.

Oyster Card.

18 minutes ago, Island2Dweller said:

Yes, the train to Hampton Court is straightforward.  But tube passes are, to all intents and purposes, a thing of the past - not good value or useful for visitors.    Just tap a contactless card (or smartphone / smartwatch) on the station entrance/exit gates, as you do for all other travel within London.

Oyster Card.

Tube passes from London certainly won't get you to Hampton Court as tube and train mainline services are totally different. As another person mentioned just tap same debit or credit card as you enter and exit tube stations. Hampton Court Station is in oyster card zone 6 so can also be tapped in and out. 

3 hours ago, sweep2907 said:

Tube passes from London certainly won't get you to Hampton Court as tube and train mainline services are totally different.

Sorry, this is certainly wrong.

Hampton Court station is in TfL Zone 6. So a TfL Zones 1-6 Travelcard will get you there. An Oyster will get you there, at a TfL fare. And contactless will get you there, at a TfL fare.