Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

@Harter what a fascinating family you have. I tend to like the fruity oils and just tell the oil person to give me the balsamic that goes best with it. Some day I may get adventurous and try some other combinations.  Thanks for the interesting information.

Posted (edited)

Just a note for those who might be in Alicante.  Last year we did a cooking class and market tour there, and our guide added in a stop at the Museu de les Fogueres.  It was well worth an hour or two to see the life-size paper-mache figures and scenes that are created for the "Bonfire of St John" festival each year (most of them are burned, but a few are kept and go to the museum).

https://alicanteturismo.com/en/fogueres-festival-museum/

Something fun and different, and it makes me think about trying to visit Alicante during the festival sometime.

Edited by curmudgeon98
add link
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

the life-size paper-mache figures and scenes that are created for the "Bonfire of St John" festival each year

We were there (on a Nautica cruise) last summer just before San Juan. The figures were in position all round the city centre. You do them something of an injustice - many are much larger than life size. The main day of the festival was a few days away, but things were getting under way. Stalls were open selling food and crafts. And we later heard fireworks. 

San Juan is a major fiesta in Spain. We first came across it in Fuengirola where it took the form of a solemn procession round town with relics and statues from the church. In other parts, it's a much more rowdy affair - we've been in Mallorca for the day (Sant Joan in the local dialect of Catalan). The villages do fireworks big time. 

10 hours ago, clo said:

I hope that's just the Vista. When we were on Marina a few years ago, we had more meals (B/L/D) there than any place else and loved every one.

We cruised Vista in both November and February. Found Terrace similar to our experiences on both Riviera and Marina. Agree with Hank that when you consider Waves and Aquamor (soon to be added to the Marina), the overall lunch options are just fine. We did sometimes enjoy the evening more casual dining options in Terrace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:27 PM, Iamthesea said:

A little story about our Villa Eprussi de Rothchild experience.  DH and I did not know about the shortcut around the sea wall/beach area until coming back from the Villa.  We took a taxi after from the port after getting off of the tender.  After touring the Villa (which we loved!), we asked about getting a taxi back to the ship.  We were told that we would have to call one, or we could easily walk back.  Taking the 2nd option, we began to walk down the steep drive of the Villa when a golf cart stopped and offered us a ride down.  The young man worked at the villa and was heading back to town on business.  He let us off at a hole in the beach wall and told us how to get around to the ship.  Nice people!

Hlitner - Several years ago, DH and I took a ships excursion to Cassis and had a lovely tour, and leisurely hot chocolate on the sea front (it was coolish that day) and then walked over to where we heard noise from a crowd of people.  Turned out that we were in Cassis during their annual wine festival.  Lots of dancing, free wine tastings, etc.  Lots of fun!!!

We stayed in Cassis for a week some years ago.  It was lovely.  Perhaps the best thing we did there (aside from eat and enjoy the views) was to take a boat to the Calanques.  You can't comfortably get there any other way without walking down the cliffs and they are splendid.  Lovely coves, swimming beaches etc.  Really enjoyed the local wines in the area too.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Bentley2018 said:

Thank you for confirming! I'm hoping it's not being changed due to the war next door. Hopefully they won't change our itinerary seeing that Turkey is our final one and we will all be flying out of there. Enjoy the the rest of your cruise. 

Margaret

Even when the Vista Malta/Trieste cruise dropped Istanbul and Kusadasi all the cruises that started or ended in Istanbul were kept.  We were originally booked on the 21 April/1May Vista cruise but for unrelated reasons we cancelled.  We have been to Istanbul and Kusadasi before and really wanted to go again.  And hopefully will - we're booked on Regent Splendor Athens/Istanbul at the end of April next year.

• Like 1

Hank

really enjoying reading about your travels on the Vista.   I just booked cabin 8032 for several segments on the 2026 world cruise.  My cabin is directly across from the laundry.  I found a photo where there appears to be a lounge in the area before the washer/dryers.  Have you noticed such in your walk abouts?    I’m actually thinking being so close to the laundry on a 50 day tropical cruise might be a good idea. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Even when the Vista Malta/Trieste cruise dropped Istanbul and Kusadasi all the cruises that started or ended in Istanbul were kept.  We were originally booked on the 21 April/1May Vista cruise but for unrelated reasons we cancelled.  We have been to Istanbul and Kusadasi before and really wanted to go again.  And hopefully will - we're booked on Regent Splendor Athens/Istanbul at the end of April next year.

we have booked a Vista cruise from Athens to Istanbul in this July stopping at many ports in Turkey. I don't know why the turkey ports were cancelled previously I just hope that they would not further cancel. 

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

I found a photo where there appears to be a lounge in the area before the washer/dryers.

That's the Concierge Lounge. If you're in a Concierge cabin, your key card will open the door. Available for snacks, drinks, newspapers and, of course, the concierge. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harters said:

That's the Concierge Lounge. If you're in a Concierge cabin, your key card will open the door. Available for snacks, drinks, newspapers and, of course, the concierge. 

No the photo I saw was for the laundry room.   There is one on every deck forward.   Don’t think O would put washer/dryers in the concierge lounge. 

12 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

No the photo I saw was for the laundry room.   There is one on every deck forward.   Don’t think O would put washer/dryers in the concierge lounge. 

But you referenced a photo that appeared to show a lounge in the area before the laundry room. They are referring to the lounge you noted. 

16 minutes ago, ncgolferette said:

Don’t think O would put washer/dryers in the concierge lounge. 

But it could be two birds, one stone! 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

No the photo I saw was for the laundry room.

I must have misunderstood your post. I'd assumed that when you referred to the lounge being "before" the laundry, you meant it was a bit further down the corridor, not in the  same space as the laundry.

The Concierge Lounge, on Deck 9, is a few metres from the laundry room - which is just a room for laundry. I've no idea what scenario would have you walking through a door into a lounge which led to the laundry. If there is such, I dont know where it is. 

19 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

From what I recall Regatta has a couple of chairs and maybe a small table in the laundry room, and Riviera had a small couch, but that was before the remodel.

Cruised onboard Riviera last month and the Laundry definitely has a small sofa and table area for folding on all decks. On Deck 9, it is a few doors away from the Concierge Lounge. Can't speak for Vista but will in a few months.

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

Cruised onboard Riviera last month and the Laundry definitely has a small sofa and table area for folding on all decks. On Deck 9, it is a few doors away from the Concierge Lounge. Can't speak for Vista but will in a few months.

And don't forget the TVs which can be viewed while ironing! Now if they only had some decent live channel options...wait..that's a whole other discussion 🙄 

1 hour ago, edgee said:

And don't forget the TVs which can be viewed while ironing! Now if they only had some decent live channel options...wait..that's a whole other discussion 🙄 

Yes forgot about the TVs 🤣

Just in the Vista in March. Yes there are some comfortable chairs and an ironing board in the room as your enter the laundry. Also a tv. You have to go thru this room to get to the washer and dryers. Washers and dryers have true to time timers on them so you know when to come back. Very nice machines and not very noisy.

Yes, as long as you put a timer on your phone--why would you want to stay in the laundry room?  Unless their happens to be a nice group of people--but that is questionable😄.

• Haha 2

On one of our Oceania cruises, we had a load in the dryer and went back to the cabin to wait for it to be done. My husband went to pick up the load and there was a group of people hanging out in the laundry room. They confronted him, and were not joking about it, whether that was his laundry that he was picking up. It was a little off-putting. I had a strange encounter where a woman followed me into the laundry room, looked amazed as I put my laundry in the washer, then sat and watched as it tumbled. She never said a word.

1 minute ago, lorimay said:

On one of our Oceania cruises, we had a load in the dryer and went back to the cabin to wait for it to be done. My husband went to pick up the load and there was a group of people hanging out in the laundry room. They confronted him, and were not joking about it, whether that was his laundry that he was picking up. It was a little off-putting. I had a strange encounter where a woman followed me into the laundry room, looked amazed as I put my laundry in the washer, then sat and watched as it tumbled. She never said a word.

I think it would be time to leave (if she didn't have laundry of her own).🤣

I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm new to Oceania.
We will be in Concergerie , in Vista on May 11, 2024 ;

- we leave an Ipad device per cabin?
- do you know in which ports there is a free Oceania bus?
-we left Istanbul, is there any news about us changing the itinerary because of the bellicose conflict in the region?

2 hours ago, Anna1111 said:

I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm new to Oceania.
We will be in Concergerie , in Vista on May 11, 2024 ;

- we leave an Ipad device per cabin?
- do you know in which ports there is a free Oceania bus?
-we left Istanbul, is there any news about us changing the itinerary because of the bellicose conflict in the region?

Consider looking at the very first thread on this Forum entitled “ Oceania Free Shuttles”.