Tokyo hotels

Hello, Regent family!

I have traveled to Tokyo for business, however this time when we return, it will be solely for fun. My favorite hotel is undergoing massive renovation, so I don’t want to deal with that. I’m trying to decide between Shangri-La and Peninsula. Any recommendations? Also, another option is to use Regent’s hotel, however I think that might be the Hilton -not a favorite. I would be grateful for all advice and insight- thank you!

2 hours ago, chelseabelsea said:

Hello, Regent family!

I have traveled to Tokyo for business, however this time when we return, it will be solely for fun. My favorite hotel is undergoing massive renovation, so I don’t want to deal with that. I’m trying to decide between Shangri-La and Peninsula. Any recommendations? Also, another option is to use Regent’s hotel, however I think that might be the Hilton -not a favorite. I would be grateful for all advice and insight- thank you!

What's wrong with the Hilton? We're doing the pre-cruise land package next March. The hotel hasn't been finalized yet, but Hilton Tokyo seems to be the odds-on-favorite venue. 

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

What's wrong with the Hilton? We're doing the pre-cruise land package next March. The hotel hasn't been finalized yet, but Hilton Tokyo seems to be the odds-on-favorite venue. 

Oh gracious- I hope I didn’t alarm you! It’s just a personal preference with respect to brands, nothing more.

We were at the Hilton Shinjuku last November and it was a very good.

A bit crowded at times because many flight crews stay there, but clean, modern, central location.

49 minutes ago, chelseabelsea said:

Oh gracious- I hope I didn’t alarm you! It’s just a personal preference with respect to brands, nothing more.

No worries; I just like to hear reviews and thoughts about hotels. This one looks pretty big (and maybe impersonal?), though that doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. 

We felt that is was a very nice Hilton but it is a Hilton.  The pre-cruise package was included in our fare so that is where we stayed.  Considering it was included we felt it was fine but it was VERY crowded at times.  We had to take an elevator up to go down once, all elevators going down jam packed.

7 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We felt that is was a very nice Hilton but it is a Hilton.  The pre-cruise package was included in our fare so that is where we stayed.  Considering it was included we felt it was fine but it was VERY crowded at times.  We had to take an elevator up to go down once, all elevators going down jam packed.

We found it to be a very nice, busy big city hotel. Service was excellent and we really enjoyed both the Japanese and Chinese restaurants. 

The Tokyo Station Hotel is convenient to (most things as it’s above the central rail station) the Imperial Palace and walkable to the lovely Tsukiji market.  It was old world Japanese charm, but with the modern needed amenities. Incredible breakfast as well. 

• Like 1

Reference Post #5:

Another positive recommendation for Hilton Shinjuko.  Three-day post-cruise stay in October, '23 following completion of an Explorer segment. Excellent on-site food, including the included buffet breakfast.  Regent folks were seated in a side room allowing a quieter ambience. 

Best French Onion Soup I have ever had at one of the specialty restaurants.   

Pool and workout facility was another plus.  Courteous staff at all levels.  Would certainly stay there again. 

Yes, at times, elevators were crowded.  Learned quickly to go up, before going down.  Not a big deal. 

GOARMY!

2 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Reference Post #5:

Another positive recommendation for Hilton Shinjuko.  Three-day post-cruise stay in October, '23 following completion of an Explorer segment. Excellent on-site food, including the included buffet breakfast.  Regent folks were seated in a side room allowing a quieter ambience. 

Best French Onion Soup I have ever had at one of the specialty restaurants.   

Pool and workout facility was another plus.  Courteous staff at all levels.  Would certainly stay there again. 

Yes, at times, elevators were crowded.  Learned quickly to go up, before going down.  Not a big deal. 

GOARMY!

No side room this year for breakfast for our Regent tour..

I'm Hilton Gold because of AMEX. We went with the Hilton Tokyo breakfast because the times were more flexible, it was excellent.  Fun fact at the Hilton, if you go down the escalator towards the subway and take a right there is a convience store a few feet down to get water, beer, wine & snacks at a reasonable price.

• Thanks 2

Would not recommend the Hilton, if doing it on your own -- many better places in Tokyo.  Imagine 900 rooms including groups from Regent and Oceania descending for breakfast to catch their 9:30am tour, you will find a line that extends to the concierge desk. We did it only because of the included pre cruise

If doing it on your own, stay near the palace -- 4 seasons, or less costly Tokyo Station which is my favorite.  Quirky design, in the heart of Tokyo near the palace, transportation hub of the station.

If you want a quiet part of Tokyo, the Intercontinental was my business choice because it is in the Embassy district, not far from American Embassy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

We did it only because of the included pre cruise

Thanks for the warning re breakfast as we are also doing Hilton for the post cruise tour. We aren't big breakfast eaters and often skip it entirely and some of the places look possible to grab a snack on the way.  

We have opted for Conrad Hilton pre cruise and taken the hotel credit. People we know recommended it.

Our experience at the Hilton (November 2023) was quite different.

Our room was on the 26th floor, we never had an issue with crowded elevators.

we typically went to breakfast at 7:30 and never encountered a line to get in, never had a problem getting a table.

Posted (edited)

April 2023 pre cruise, at the Hilton, the breakfast was served in a separate ballroom, next to the ballroom where we met for our tours. Very efficient, no lines, good variety of offerings. 

Edited by labonnevie
Clarity

8 hours ago, labonnevie said:

April 2023 pre cruise, at the Hilton, the breakfast was served in a separate ballroom, next to the ballroom where we met for our tours. Very efficient, no lines, good variety of offerings. 

Sadly, not in March this year.