wifi package vs ATT cruise package

• MBC176 changed the title to wifi package vs ATT cruise package
Posted (edited)

To answer your question in our experience you don't need both. But IMO I would be wary of the current AT&T ship plans.

In the past we used AT&T with mixed results.  Some cruises everything was fine.  But on more recent cruises it was a nightmare.  Much time spent on the phone with AT&T during the cruise confirming phone settings, function, and mistaken charges that had to be resolved and removed post cruise. Their recent customer service seemed more confused than we were and often had us using settings that resulted in additional charges.  They apparently changed the plan at some point and that was when the issues began. 

IMO never again will we use their ship based plans and in recent years we have used ship wifi calling exclusively with no issues.  That will continue to be our plan moving forward. Your results may vary.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

We used ATT Cellular at Sea cruising from FLL around South America to Buenos Aires for 30 days and cost $100.  I can't comment on a data package because we only wanted talk and text.  It worked great...as it always has.  It's not hard.  There are no weird settings.  Don't worry about it.  ATT gives you all the info you need to make sure you are not roaming.  If you want data, I can't tell you.  

We find purchasing the onboard WiFi works much better for our needs. Many years ago we did purchase the AT&T cruise plan but no longer. Just put your iPhone on airplane mode and WiFi calling. Then you're able to text/call with no concerns. Couldn't be easier.

We have AT&T…..we purchase the WiFi package on the ship….put our phones on airplane mode (VERY IMPORTANT)….turn on WiFi calling and use our phones for calls and text just like we were at home…

We love to be able to send/receive calls and texts without worries

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have AT&T…..we purchase the WiFi package on the ship….put our phones on airplane mode (VERY IMPORTANT)….turn on WiFi calling and use our phones for calls and text just like we were at home…

We love to be able to send/receive calls and texts without worries

Let me tack this on here please. Seems like everybody is commenting about using their phones for talk/text. I use my computer for emails. Is it the same? 'Course lately we've been on Oceania where it included at no extra charge.

just a reminder, of you decide to just use the cruise line wifi package, remember to sign on and SIGN OFF every time.  If you dont sign off ( at least on NCL cruise line), your minutes will keep going, and you will rn out of wifi very fast.  I checked my email in ports using the Port free wifi , and well as popping into a restaurant, ordering something, and asking for the wifi code.  I am sure you are aware that Starbucks and McDonalds all offer wifi without purchase ( you always see lots of folks hanging close by on their smartphones).

26 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

just a reminder, of you decide to just use the cruise line wifi package, remember to sign on and SIGN OFF every time.  If you dont sign off ( at least on NCL cruise line), your minutes will keep going, and you will rn out of wifi very fast.  I checked my email in ports using the Port free wifi , and well as popping into a restaurant, ordering something, and asking for the wifi code.  I am sure you are aware that Starbucks and McDonalds all offer wifi without purchase ( you always see lots of folks hanging close by on their smartphones).

On Royal, if you just purchase a one day use, it is a continuous 24hr period.  There is no logging on and off.  If you buy it at 9am it will run out at 9am the next day.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Let me tack this on here please. Seems like everybody is commenting about using their phones for talk/text. I use my computer for emails. Is it the same? 'Course lately we've been on Oceania where it included at no extra charge.

We use our laptop for certain things also works as a hot spot with our firestick to stream shows.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

On Royal, if you just purchase a one day use, it is a continuous 24hr period.  There is no logging on and off.  If you buy it at 9am it will run out at 9am the next day.

Princess, Celebrity, and Carnival are similar with their single-day, single-device plans.

To provide amplification to the highlighted point, if you have multiple devices, you can switch between them.  They'll ask if you want to login into this new device and log off from the old device.  Then hit the button and it's done.  Easy peasy, IMHO.  Otherwise, you CAN log off your device at any time, but there's no point to it unless you're switching devices.

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Princess, Celebrity, and Carnival are similar with their single-day, single-device plans.

To provide amplification to the highlighted point, if you have multiple devices, you can switch between them.  They'll ask if you want to login into this new device and log off from the old device.  Then hit the button and it's done.  Easy peasy, IMHO.  Otherwise, you CAN log off your device at any time, but there's no point to it unless you're switching devices.

I realize Carnival is different….that is why I specified Royal.  You can’t take a 24hr period and stretch it out over a period of time.  I Just wanted people to be aware on Royal it is a straight 24hr period whether you are logged in or not….

16 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I realize Carnival is different….that is why I specified Royal.  You can’t take a 24hr period and stretch it out over a period of time.  I Just wanted people to be aware on Royal it is a straight 24hr period whether you are logged in or not….

Actually, my point is that Carnival and the others are NOT different in this regard.  You're correct in that you don't get a pool of minutes - you get an amount of time (24 hours) in which you can use the Internet which can't be extended by logging out.

• Like 1