Carry on luggage rather than drop bag……

Globaler

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Right, but that one requires you to have a Samsung phone. There is no version that works with other brands of Android phones.

Well, I looked it up and Apple and Samsung account for 80% of the US market in phones, so most people could use one or the other of the two luggage tag tracker options. It's the 20% of us with neither that are out of luck!

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

The only ones that actually work are specifically for Samsung phones. Again, not nearly all people with Android phones have Samsung phones.

I should clarify that the reason only the Samsung ones really work is that, like AirTags, they only require people with a specific type of phone to be in BlueTooth range, but it doesn't have to be YOUR phone. All the others, like Tile, require the tag to be in BlueTooth range of YOUR phone. Great for finding your keys in your house, but not great for finding your keys across town.

Sorry, don't think that's correct.  We use Tiles in all our bags and they work perfectly. Available for both Android (not just Samsung) and IOS. It's a great feeling to land at an airport and see that all your bags have landed safely with you.

https://www.tile.com/en-ca

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Sorry, don't think that's correct.  We use Tiles in all our bags and they work perfectly. Available for both Android (not just Samsung) and IOS. It's a great feeling to land at an airport and see that all your bags have landed safely with you.

https://www.tile.com/en-ca

You are right! I just looked at it an Tile does now work differently than it used to. It now does work when in proximity to phones with the Tile app installed. I doubt that is as robust a network of phones as iPhones and Samsumgs, but hopefully would be a sufficient number of phones in crowded airports and maybe on cruise ships. Thanks for pointing this out! I might look into ordering a few.

Edited by JamieLogical

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

You are right! I just looked at it an Tile does now work differently than it used to. It now does work when in proximity to phones with the Tile app installed. I doubt that is as robust a network of phones as iPhones and Samsumgs, but hopefully would be a sufficient number of phones in crowded airports and maybe on cruise ships. Thanks for pointing this out! I might look into ordering a few.

No worries, by all means investigate them further. We've used them only about two years, on half a dozen flights and cruises and they have worked perfectly for us, they had no issues showing exactly where our bags were.  The only issue, and I don't know whether this is a common issue with other trackers, is that sometimes they might take 10 or 15 minutes to "lock on" to our Tags and show us their location.  It's always a bit nerve wracking to fire up the phone after landing at an airport and waiting for the app to show us the bags are still with us ;o)  But they've worked perfectly.

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

For the record, the luggage tracker that's part of the American Airlines and United Airlines apps works really well in telling you the whereabouts of your bags once you check them in at the airport.  I can't speak for other airlines, because my recent flights have all been on AA or UA.  If you fly Spirit, they probably charge you $99 to track a bag.  😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

For the record, the luggage tracker that's part of the American Airlines and United Airlines apps works really well in telling you the whereabouts of your bags once you check them in at the airport.  I can't speak for other airlines, because my recent flights have all been on AA or UA.  If you fly Spirit, they probably charge you $99 to track a bag.  😁

Yes, I have had good luck with the airline apps when tracking that my bags are onboard the planes at least.

9 hours ago, rjack22 said:

Yes if it can fit in a airline type scanner at the port.  Couldn't be a large suitcase.

I have a fairly large suitcase (22", 23" with wheels) and it easily fits through the scanner. I carry it on, slide it under the bed immediately after boarding, and head down to MDR for lunch. That size is carrying 24 days clothes, 8 books, and 2 bottles wine in 10 days 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Globaler said:

We have AirTags but if your bags are left not much can be done 😳

Do you have insurance in case its lost or delayed? Mine gives $500 to cover until bags catch up. Frankly if I can find a Marks & Spencer i can probably replace clothes & wine for $500 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Not everyone has an iPhone. Airtags are only compatible with iPhones.

There are other options for Android users.  I am a network engineer and a non-iPhone person.  To many restrictions on iPhone for what I do.

Non-Airtag options. There are others as well. 

• Samsung Galaxy SmartTag: Specifically tailored for Samsung devices and integrated with the SmartThings app.
  • Tile Mate: Uses Bluetooth to track items and offers a premium subscription for extra services such as smart alerts for unknown trackers.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Do you have insurance in case its lost or delayed? Mine gives $500 to cover until bags catch up. Frankly if I can find a Marks & Spencer i can probably replace clothes & wine for $500 

Yes indeed. All good as I will carry our bags through.

We bring out large suitcases with us when we embark. The scanners are large enough for them. Up to now we never had a problem. We also have AirTags in them. Once inside the ship, we go to our cabin and leave the bags there. The one time the cabin door was closed, we left them in the hallway. 

• Like 2

In the last year, we’ve had four incidences of wheels being broken off our luggage when we’ve checked it (both at the airport and on the cruiseship).  We now try to minimize that however we can, which means packing lighter so we just carry it onboard.  It may seem like a hassle, and it is, but it’s also a hassle to try to wheel around luggage once a wheel or two goes missing.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's a designated dining room to drop bags. 

It's just as easy to leave them in the room without bothering anyone in the process. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheArtfulPenguin said:

There are other options for Android users.  I am a network engineer and a non-iPhone person.  To many restrictions on iPhone for what I do.

Non-Airtag options. There are others as well. 

• Samsung Galaxy SmartTag: Specifically tailored for Samsung devices and integrated with the SmartThings app.
  • Tile Mate: Uses Bluetooth to track items and offers a premium subscription for extra services such as smart alerts for unknown trackers.

Quite correct there are plenty of options now. Heads up on the Tiles, there are multiple models available, in different sizes, capabilities etc. The Mate is a basic model with a non-replaceable battery, so basically disposable after a few years. We have Tile Pros in all our bags, longer range and a replaceable battery.  Working perfectly with our Sammy phones, we went with the Tiles and not the Smartags in case we ever switch phone brands away from Samsung.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 555 said:

Even if the room isn't ready when you board you can always drop off the bags & go straight to lunch.

That is what we do.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can’t speak for every port but lately, I’ve seen people in San Francisco bringing their pieces of luggage onboard with them. I’ve not really seen that in the past before CoVid but I always see it now.  

In SF a year or so ago we rolled our large bags on without any issues.  It wasn't really what we wanted to do.  For whatever reason the curbside luggage drop was a mess that day, so we just wheeled them on.   

• Like 2

We will be sailing out of SF in May and would prefer to keep our suitcases with us when boarding so will try to do that. I hate waiting for our suitcases to show up at our cabin and sometimes it's not until late evening after dinner. Or everyone's shows up right away but one and it's usually mine. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We will be sailing out of SF in May and would prefer to keep our suitcases with us when boarding so will try to do that. I hate waiting for our suitcases to show up at our cabin and sometimes it's not until late evening after dinner. Or everyone's shows up right away but one and it's usually mine. 

We always carry our own bags with us which guarantees that they'll be waiting in the room when you return from lunch. We want to unpack immediately and especially before dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

Based on my experience, you will have no issue doing that in SF.  We had our huge 29" luggage and had no problem bringing them thought the security line.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 8:04 AM, ldubs said:

In SF a year or so ago we rolled our large bags on without any issues.  It wasn't really what we wanted to do.  For whatever reason the curbside luggage drop was a mess that day, so we just wheeled them on.   

YES.  We had that happen when SF ship was delayed berthing and luggage guys couldn't take our bags right away. 

So we said screw it, and brought our bags on with us.

Bags were either 26 or 28" Roller bags, and fit thru scanner fine.  I was surprised!  Thought scanner was alittle smaller, but it did indeed take bigger bags.

Rolled bags into our cabin (which wasn't ready yet, but door was open, and nobody cared) then went about our way. 

If you can lift your bag?  You can Wheel it on.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 4