Identity crisis

kruzerci

2 hours ago, Flafun888 said:

I know how most millennials and gen z define it - EDM (electronic dance music) and hip hop/rap. Both genres I detest heartily and cannot tolerate for more than 5 min. (Nothing personal intended to those who love it. Most probably hate the genres I like - classic crooners, country, old school philly/memphis blues.)

That may be the greatest oversimplification of musical tastes of the two generations I'm counting on funding my social security I've ever seen!

Yes. EDM at the club. Yes, with a big but, to hip hop and rap. Those are two very broad genres that encompass an awful lot of music. Most of it's not my style either, but some of it's pretty good. And a lot of Millennial and Gen Z music is new country, which has become almost the descendant of southern rock.

Apple has a pretty good playlist for Gen Z, as do a number of other sources. It's all over the place. Everything from late 90s TLC to Cee Lo Green to Kelly Clarkson to Carrie Underwood to...

You can't lump Millennials and Gen Z into Hip Hop and EDM. If you do you're just as bad as our parents when they couldn't accept the Beatles, the Eagles, Springsteen, Billy Joel, Quiet Riot, etc. I've seen teenagers at Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen concerts, not always with their parents, and my wife and I have been to Paramore and loved them. We were at a Patti Smith concert last fall and the age certainly tended to my late Boomer/early X generation, but there were plenty of people a generation younger than me there.

Insert Dr. Rick gif here...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, truckswain said:

Why would they need to stop Pickelball when the Rooftop Garden Restaurant is a separate space from where Pickleball would be played?

Golf putting ran 3, 4 hours over?

I don't believe these activities "are marketing campaigns" 

The  afternoon session time for the  pickle ball ended at 5:30 p.m... but a few  hung around with activity staff  past time. Our dinner res was for 6 p.m.and when we arrived it was distracting 

The Temp court is set up in the garden right next to the Rooftop dining area tables . Both  are outdoors..no walls..You can clearly hear the plink plink plink  etc  ..not pleasant for dinner..But glad they  finished up.

The golf putting in EDEN  ran over  awhile..not 3 to 4 hrs..but long enough that our roll call get together was moved away from the bar area..no big deal...But  my point is the sports set ups do impact  areas that were designed as non sports venues . As a result,  they were not available  at certain times for just sitting, reading or relaxing or having a drink.. Hard to duplicate amenities found at land based resorts on a ship.

Has nothing to do with marketing but usage of space...

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Or, a lot of awful music. 😇

Again, what was the last generation who didn't believe the next generation's music was awful?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

Again, what was the last generation who didn't believe the next generation's music was awful?

Yeah. When I started listening to rock an roll in 1956 my Father referred to it as the work of the devel.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

There was Pickelball going on while we had lunch at RGG. There was no distraction for us. Here is a picture from our table:

IMG_6135.jpeg

Really didn’t seem all that close.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

This is the best thread I've read in a loooong time....

Thanks for the memories 🤣

@markeb  Yeah, Born To Run is way up on my list...but Rosalita will always be my number one Bruce song...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

This is the best thread I've read in a loooong time....

Thanks for the memories 🤣

@markeb  Yeah, Born To Run is way up on my list...but Rosalita will always be my number one Bruce song...

Best live moment ever. 2016. Nats Park. Incident into Rosie live. If you know, you know…

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 5:58 PM, hcat said:

Jimmy Buffet style music and reggae/ island music were once Carib cruise classics..along with the harpist,  string quartet, orchestra and a  band

I know it's a cliche for many, but I actually love that music - it gets me in a great state of mind and is so relaxing. I wish cruise ships still offered it. I always bring my own music and earbuds for the balcony. I can only take so much Kool and the Gang wedding/pool music 😛  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markeb said:

And a lot of Millennial and Gen Z music is new country, which has become almost the descendant of southern rock.

well now you're talking MY two faves...new country and southern rock, along with yacht rock/buffett. Wish I could find a cruise that played some of that more often. The only "country" muisc most cruise performers seem to know is from the '70s.

10 hours ago, markeb said:

That may be the greatest oversimplification of musical tastes of the two generations I'm counting on funding my social security I've ever seen!

lol - yup - simplifying a bit. But it's the feeling I get from every restaurant, club and other venue I enter these days. That's what I hear blaring most often.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:46 AM, paulh84 said:

Their target market can be 40-55 year olds all day long. Where they fail is realizing that 40 year old me is a very different customer than my parents were at 40. But as long as they continue to pander the 65, 70, 80+ crowd they will have a tough time bringing in a new crop of repeat younger new customers. 

This concept is at the heart of where Celebrity is going wrong with music and with some of the entertainment.  They really do need to bring the entertainment down to the right age ranges to stay viable, but that means they need to understand what their target is looking for.   

The E Class pool areas are designed for a for 20 somethings going to Miami Beach for a party, but used as if it's for 80 year olds wanting to go to bed early.  Although to be fair, we went on Enchantment of the Seas last November (our ship had been swapped out) and the only music at the pool that I heard was a duo playing bad renditions of The Carpenters and Simon and Garfunkel, even at sailaway.

I am VERY curious about the president's comments in the webinar about how Exel will have entertainment that is more destination oriented. 

• Tahitian Princess 20 years ago - they brought in dancers for the entertainment nightly and they leaned into destination themed events - lectures, music, food.  I believe some cruiselines still do this in French Polynesia.
  • Star Princess out of Venice, we went down the Grand Canal to Andrea Boccelli singing opera.  It was incredibly memorable, and the best sailaway I ever experienced.

If I'm heading to the Caribbean, I much prefer the steel drum band while lounging at the pool compared to back to back Cupid Shuffle/Wobble/Electric Slide or 70s slow ballads.    

If Exel is going to be more destination oriented, I really want to know what that means.  

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 6:12 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I condition myself weeks before an upcoming cruise so that I can eat and drink with reckless abandon...and worry about the few extra pounds when I get back.

me before every cruise because I don't condition myself:

DGj3BHKlSfi3TpMpui5a2dKkyBPbjCIZ_lg.jpg.db95b6f783f58a22684f769f9ce21a20.jpgqauCoTXOUAh0LX5TVOW4qdnwk5F6gLS7_lg.jpg.2653dfefa60289250c130760fd6cacd6.jpg

• Haha 2

There will be a new brand campaign released in the next few weeks. We'll see which one of the many directions they choose to go with this one. This will be the first with this particular SVP of sales at the helm. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

There was Pickelball going on while we had lunch at RGG. There was no distraction for us. Here is a picture from our table:

IMG_6135.jpeg

Really didn’t seem all that close.

mac_tlc

Agreed, it is not that close and with all the other sounds from other guests in the restaurant, the kitchen and the servers it would be difficult to hear or be distracted by any activity in that area of the Rooftop Garden.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, Lena11033 said:

lol my husband listens to 70s (he was born in the 60s while me in the 80s).

I can listen to pretty much anything but country and rap

That's CRAZY, 

16 hours ago, markeb said:

Those are two very broad genres that encompass an awful lot of music.

You mean a lot of awful music.🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

That's CRAZY, 

Why? I grew up in the UK where country music wasn't a thing when I was growing up so I definitely don't like it now. My playlists are basically 70-90's pop, dance and rock, if looking at the last 10-20 years its EDM music (Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Steve Aoki) other than that I listen to soundtracks. Country music isn't popular everywhere.

6 minutes ago, C 2 C said:

Sorry.  One of our favourite dance songs is Crazy  Patsy Cline.

Just a tiny bit before I was born, by like 20 years (had to Google it)

15 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Why? I grew up in the UK where country music wasn't a thing when I was growing up so I definitely don't like it now. My playlists are basically 70-90's pop, dance and rock, if looking at the last 10-20 years its EDM music (Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Steve Aoki) other than that I listen to soundtracks. Country music isn't popular everywhere.

I don't like all genres of music. I play the drums. I grew up in the good ole' USA. I have lived out West since 1973. I don't like country music and it's big here. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:57 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I feel like the Celebrity product falls under two different umbrellas:  Hip and trendy E class and Quiet and refined S/M class.  They set out to appeal to a younger demographic with their E class ships and then decided to try and have some of that E class vibe spill over into the other classes.  I wish they would have just left S and M classes alone and allowed all the products to flourish in their own right.  I agree that there is an identity issue within the branding but by and large I still enjoy the product.  I'm 56 years young...

This.