Bread pudding

15 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I have asked about fruit crisps on my last three cruises and was told that i could order the evening before.

Good to know but on our 28 days cruise last October it was on the menu (nearly) every night, no need for a special order.

3 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I sincerely hope not, bread pudding reminds me of school dinners

What I would give for a 'school dinner' Jam Roly Poly (with custard) 😋

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I sincerely hope not, bread pudding reminds me of school dinners (UK) and was never a favorite of mine! That said I have been following the menus on the Nieuw Statendam as we will be sailing on her next month and been very sorry to see hardly any fruit crisp offerings.

I hope you have not been influencing the chefs on HAL to replace my beloved fruit crisp with your beloved bread pudding. I might even need to put in a special request with of course double portion of creme anglais instead of ice cream (have to watch my weight).

I'm just telling you what I've seen during our December cruise on the Nieuw Statendam and our upcoming one on the Rotterdam. It's a bread puddin' party of the first order on the MDR dinner dessert menu.

For the record, I'm team fruit crisp. The only one I've seen in the rotation is rhubarb. I happen to like rhubarb, as does my wife, but it trails far behind the apple, blueberry, and cherry varieties in terms of popularity here in the US. I also enjoy a scoop of vanilla ice cream, strictly for the calcium content. (Don't want to have brittle bones now that I'm on life's downslope.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On my last few sailings, I have also seen bread pudding offered nightly on the MDR dinner menu. There was only 1-2 varieties, including a Jamaican rum iteration that I remember. 

We order the breakfast croissant bread budding w/o pomegranate seeds from room service w/our pre-breakfast coffee. It's warm, heaven in a bowl. Warning - it might be addictive.

That was a great discovery on NS last fall.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

...For the record, I'm team fruit crisp. The only one I've seen in the rotation is rhubarb. I happen to like rhubarb, as does my wife, but it trails far behind the apple, blueberry, and cherry varieties in terms of popularity here in the US...

The banana fruit crisp was odd - strange texture and just "off." Even the scoop of ice cream didn't help. All the others were good.

• Thanks 1

Tonight's Rotterdam MDR bread pudding is chocolate hazelnut with a vanilla rum sauce. Again, not showing on the Lido menu. Perhaps the MDR bread puddin' is a reward for putting on long pants. 😉

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, ellieanne said:

I do miss the days when they had liqueurs at the ice cream stations. That made for some really nice afternoon treats.
But I guess, as it goes with all good things, greedy people ruined it for everyone.

I know I saw passengers approach the liqueurs at that station, glass in hand, and proceed to pour themselves a drink. 
No doubt that kind of behavior helped shut down the ice cream topping choices. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I sincerely hope not, bread pudding reminds me of school dinners (UK) and was never a favorite of mine! That said I have been following the menus on the Nieuw Statendam as we will be sailing on her next month and been very sorry to see hardly any fruit crisp offerings.

I hope you have not been influencing the chefs on HAL to replace my beloved fruit crisp with your beloved bread pudding. I might even need to put in a special request with of course double portion of creme anglais instead of ice cream (have to watch my weight).

Just for the record, the bread pudding I had in school (US) was not the same food as what's being discussed here! The fact that they still called it bread pudding... well, at school they can get away with a lot!

16 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Just for the record, the bread pudding I had in school (US) was not the same food as what's being discussed here! The fact that they still called it bread pudding... well, at school they can get away with a lot!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 6:43 PM, POA1 said:

The ones in the MDR have varying sauces. For example, tonight on the Rotterdam, they have Sticky Toffee Bread Pudding with Crème Anglaise.

You had me at Sticky Toffee Pudding....

Has anyone had this? Does it taste like the "real deal" (if you're familiar with the real deal....)?

Edited by cruisemom42

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You had me at Sticky Toffee Pudding....

Has anyone had this? Does it taste like the "real deal" (if you're familiar with the real deal....)?

I have not had it, but if it's on the 9 day menu cycle for the Rotterdam, I'll give it a try... for science. The Rotterdam is on the 12 day cycle right now and we join for the 9 day on Friday.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

In the UK we call it bread and butter pudding, bread pudding is very different .  I like bread and butter pudding and hate bread pudding.  

Today on the Rotterdam, Blueberry Croissant Bread Pudding with warm vanilla rum sauce.

To add a cruel note: Apple Crumble Tart - but it's no sugar added.

I'm seeing these because we sail on the Rotterdam on Friday.

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Today on the Rotterdam, Blueberry Croissant Bread Pudding with warm vanilla rum sauce.

Apple crumble tart! Enough said! Not only do I not need sugar added, I'm happy without it!

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Today on Nieuw Statendam is Jamaican Bread Pudding with warm vanilla rum sauce.....I'm wondering do they make it with blueberry croissants? 🙄