Is the Neptune Suite on the Zaandam worth the extra cost?

We were on the Zaandam for a South America cruise and got a Neptune through an upsell and were so happy we did.  The extra space was nice to have for such a long cruise and the amenities were appreciated.  I used the laundry service several times and the concierge was a huge help.  As others have mentioned, the one thing we didn't like was no windows in the Pinnacle Grill.  I think we only ate there twice for breakfast during the entire cruise.  We enjoyed the Pinnacle so much that we booked it for our Alaska cruise this summer on the Noordam.  The Pinnacle has windows on that ship and I'm sure we'll utilize it every day.  Booking it outright wasn't by any means inexpensive, but we take one "big" vacation every year (in addition to 2 or 3 lesser vacations) and budget about $20,000 for it.  I think for the two of us for Alaska was around $12,000 (3-day Denali).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, islandwoman said:

It is my understanding (although I have no experience) that in hotels, concierges expect large tips in return for fixing problems.  Is it the same on HAL, or are their tips covered by the assessed crew gratuities?

Because we used the concierge on our last cruise a lot, we gave him a tip; and because we had gotten to know him a bit, he assured us that a good report on the survey was much more important.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Like OP, we considered a Neptune vs Vista cabin on Zaandam. This is our first Alaska cruise (inside passage, round trip). Considerations: need mid ship for stability, quiet location w/o noise from above or below, excellent views, away from smoking. 

We’re leaning towards the A Vista cabins on Deck 6 & Deck 7. How do we decide which one? Are they all pretty much the same?

Another post mentioned Deck 7 Vistas potentially experiencing noise from the Lido & also having an extended balcony roof? Do the Vistas balconies on Deck 6 have the same extended roof?

Thanks! 

Edited by Ileneilene123

On 3/24/2024 at 8:22 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

Because we used the concierge on our last cruise a lot, we gave him a tip; and because we had gotten to know him a bit, he assured us that a good report on the survey was much more important.

My concierges absolutely beamed when I did a LUK (let us know).  I still tipped but the report on the Navigator is worth more and probably more than the survey.  It gets them time in port, promotions and employee of the month, etc and employee of the month is huge with good benefits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

My concierges absolutely beamed when I did a LUK (let us know).  I still tipped but the report on the Navigator is worth more and probably more than the survey.  It gets them time in port, promotions and employee of the month, etc and employee of the month is huge with good benefits.

A very common response to using the LUK, and the employees do seem to truly enjoy and respond to our comments. Their supervisors give them feedback very quickly. 

41 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Like OP, we considered a Neptune vs Vista cabin on Zaandam. This is our first Alaska cruise (inside passage, round trip). Considerations: need mid ship for stability, quiet location w/o noise from above or below, excellent views, away from smoking. 

We’re leaning towards the A Vista cabins on Deck 6 & Deck 7. How do we decide which one? Are they all pretty much the same?

Another post mentioned Deck 7 Vistas potentially experiencing noise from the Lido & also having an extended balcony roof? Do the Vistas balconies on Deck 6 have the same extended roof?

Thanks! 

I would go to halfacts.com to see pics of the cabins.  Just choose R Class (Rotterdam).

All the layouts are basically the same on the Volendam, Rotterdam (old one) and Zaandam - any of those ships’ cabin pics will give you a good idea.

IMO Neptunes have the better location in a lot of places on deck 7 (not all).

If you look at the deck plans and can find a Vista cabin under the carpeted area of the LIdo market or Canaletto - you should be ok there.

But, if you ware doing a Vista - I would look at deck 6 with cabins above and cabins below.  JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

@kazu, isn't the Rotterdam a Pinnacle class ship?

There was another Rotterdam in recent memory, which was also an R-class ship---like the Zaandam. That was the Rotterdam (Rotterdam VI) that Kazu was referencing on HALFacts. 

(heck, mention the Rotterdam and I think of three different ships! gets confusing sometimes)

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I would go to halfacts.com to see pics of the cabins.  Just choose R Class (Rotterdam).

All the layouts are basically the same on the Volendam, Rotterdam (old one) and Zaandam - any of those ships’ cabin pics will give you a good idea.

IMO Neptunes have the better location in a lot of places on deck 7 (not all).

If you look at the deck plans and can find a Vista cabin under the carpeted area of the LIdo market or Canaletto - you should be ok there.

But, if you ware doing a Vista - I would look at deck 6 with cabins above and cabins below.  JMO.

Just the kind of info I was hoping for — thank you! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RuthC said:

There was another Rotterdam in recent memory, which was also an R-class ship---like the Zaandam. That was the Rotterdam (Rotterdam VI) that Kazu was referencing on HALFacts. 

(heck, mention the Rotterdam and I think of three different ships! gets confusing sometimes)

Yes, I have sailed on that Rotterdam...twice. But as that ship isn't in the fleet anymore, the reference to it was confusing to the context.

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, I have sailed on that Rotterdam...twice. But as that ship isn't in the fleet anymore, the reference to it was confusing to the context.

But the text referred to the 'old' Rotterdam. Did you miss that? 
Or was it edited in later, without being attributed as an edit? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 1:39 PM, Dutchman48 said:

Have stayed in multiple Neptune suites on both Vista and Panicle class ships and enjoyed the immensely. That being said on the Zaandam and Voleendam we opt for the vista suite as the cost differential between the two is more than I am willing to pay. Would consider an upgrade offer but not at the price we see at time of booking.

We originally booked Neptune suite because I thought it was the only one with a balcony😬😬 I  called our TA who got us in a Vista/verandah for lots less money and the same HIA promo we had originally. Great having a TA!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Neptune suites on any HAL ship.  If you can afford it, it's a marvelous luxury for several reasons:

1. Large comfortable room. Great for relaxing or entertaining.

2. Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. It's a quiet intimate spot for breakfast and is reserved exclusively for premium suite guests.

3. The private lounge is great for a quick snack or coffee. The concierge there has done everything for me from booking shore excursions to currency exchange.

Unfortunately, on our upcoming cruise we are waitlisted for a Neptune Suite. Currently in a Signature Suite, which is also quite nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1