Fire again on Freedom

This is probably a long shot but I wonder if they will give it a quick trim along these lines and it will keep somewhat of a whale tail shape. Do you think this would negatively affect the aerodynamics of the funnel? Overall it’s probably easier to just go back to the stump though since the funnel is made in those 2 pieces anyway. 

IMG_3062.jpeg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, notscb said:

I'm wondering how they were able to keep going in a situation like this- @chengkp75 if you wouldn't mind imparting some wisdom here. Do they divert all of the exhaust/emissions to the other side or would the fire not have affected the piping in the area of the fire?

Pretty sure it was reported that the captain turned the ship into more rain to help put it out faster.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Pretty sure it was reported that the captain turned the ship into more rain to help put it out faster.

I had heard that as well.

I'm more asking about the condition and integrity of the ship- both portions of the funnel are used for exhaust and various functions. If one side is compromised, how does engineering on the ship handle that to keep the vessel moving?

1 hour ago, notscb said:

I had heard that as well.

I'm more asking about the condition and integrity of the ship- both portions of the funnel are used for exhaust and various functions. If one side is compromised, how does engineering on the ship handle that to keep the vessel moving?

The fiberglass skin isn't the funnel, I doubt it contributes to the structural integrity of the funnel. It's just branding.

• Like 2

Yes, the fiberglass is basically for appearance.  The three generator exhausts on the port side (aft 3) don't look too bad, the boiler exhaust looks to have taken the worst.  They will still use the generators that exhaust on the port side, though they may limit the load on them to reduce exhaust temperature.  As for the "aerodynamics" of the funnel, that simply doesn't exist, or matter, they were designed that way to reduce sooting and exhaust on the after decks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

So relieved there were no injuries. 

Freedom is my favorite Carnival ship.  I am still a bit peeved they took her away from Galveston.

did it burn you up???

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Looking at the pictures of the damage, it doesn't look nearly as bad as last time.  I wonder if just the damaged section of the fiberglass could be replaced and repaired instead of replacing the whole whale tail.  Seems like that would be a much quicker fix.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:52 PM, seannyice81 said:

I don't really buy the lightening strike. The ships probably get zapped fairly often so I can't see how this wouldn't happen more. I could be wrong though.

All lightning strikes are not equal. Passengers are reporting that this was an extraordinarily large one.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:52 PM, seannyice81 said:

I don't really buy the lightening strike. The ships probably get zapped fairly often so I can't see how this wouldn't happen more. I could be wrong though.

6 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

All lightning strikes are not equal. Passengers are reporting that this was an extraordinarily large one.

As I've said above, lightning strikes on ships happen frequently, but if it strikes part of the ship's steel structure, it passes directly through the hull to the sea, without damaging anything.  However, fiberglass is not a good conductor of electricity, so the power of the lightning is dissipated in the fiberglass, causing it to heat up and catch fire.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Z0nker said:

A detailed article about how the most extreme lightning happens over the ocean...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/80-of-lightning-occurs-over-the-land-but-the-most-extreme-lightning-happens-over-the-ocean/ar-BB1kn013

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destiny0315 said:

I was just going to say before your post that the most extreme weather I have experienced is out in the Atlantic, not on land.

22 hours ago, mz-s said:

The fiberglass skin isn't the funnel, I doubt it contributes to the structural integrity of the funnel. It's just branding.

Right...I'm asking about everything inside of it and what is done with it.

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Maybe it’s time for a ship name change - can prob think of a few with electric charges or some that would be smoking something…

Carnival Firebird.  EM

• Like 1

In this photo you can see they are preparing to make the same cut as last time. Stubby Freedom rides again! I wonder if they will put a rush on a permanent fix or wait until the next scheduled dry dock. That likely won’t be until 2027/2028. 

IMG_3076.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

I'd call her "Old Sparky." But for better P.R. We can name her New Sparky

A whole different mental image....(either old or new).