Fire again on Freedom

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know, but Facebook AI loves to rehash old information into "new" stories these days. Could that have been it?

Nope, the funnel is on fire for the second time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

from the pictures posted on FB, the other side of the funnel is on fire, the port side is on fire

years ago, it was the starboard side funnel that caught fire

Not sure where it started but sef pretty much gone by the time it was out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joekatie said:

Sounds like the fire hoses burst the water main on the ship, so now theyre dealing witj flooding. 

What else could go wrong? 😢

As others have asked, yes ships get hit by lightning frequently,  but due to the maritime grounding system (that thing that makes surge protectors dangerous as well as unnecessary) the current flows through the hull to the sea without harm. But if it strikes the highest point and that point is made of fiberglass, then it will ignite. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As others have asked, yes ships get hit by lightning frequently,  but due to the maritime grounding system (that thing that makes surge protectors dangerous as well as unnecessary) the current flows through the hull to the sea without harm. But if it strikes the highest point and that point is made of fiberglass, then it will ignite. 

Totally understand this.  But why don't they have a lightening rod (think that is what they call it) as other structures have as it's highest point - and that would re-direct the current instead of it igniting the fiberglass?  

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

Totally understand this.  But why don't they have a lightening rod (think that is what they call it) as other structures have as it's highest point - and that would re-direct the current instead of it igniting the fiberglass?  

Don't know that they don't have one. I've been on a ship where lightning struck an antenna on the bridge wing while 20 feet away was the massive funnel structure that was 20 feet higher,  as the mast was even closer and higher.  Mother nature does what she wants. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As always, thanks for the expertise and knowledge

• Like 3

15 hours ago, seannyice81 said:

I would SPECULATE that perhaps Freedom has a sooting issue, but thats really just an uneducated guess. Of course assuming it isn't a lightening strike.

I was on her during the Stumpy days and noted heavy black smoke coming out of the previously burnt side on several occasions, so yes there is a possibility she has engine issues that may have contributed to this fire even though it is the other side this time.

I cannot imagine why the fiberglass caught light unless there was extra soot in that area.

IMG_20220819_200046127(1).jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pe4all said:

I'm sure they do. Maybe it was improperly installed when they redid the funnel last year. Or maybe, the lightning just decided to strike somewhere else. Murphy's Law...

This is all assuming it was lightning of course.

Posted (edited)

Carnival buying their parts from Boeing? Or maybe following the Boeing quality assurance program?

Said in jest.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, TheLargeFamily said:

After the last fire, did she immediately get repaired or did she sail with a half burned tail? Any photos? 

She sailed from Grand Turk to Freeport with a half tail. Freeport was where the temporary fix was made. I believe there was at least a few weeks of sailings cancelled that time.