Lounge Hogs: Regent's Failure to Act or Respond

5 hours ago, jjs217 said:

My spouse and I are of the age, "wearing nothing but a smile" (for either one of us) would put us off alcohol forever.  But thanks for the suggestion.

In our case it may get DW to drink even more to get the image out of her mind.  I mean, I need to gargle with bourbon each morning after looking at myself in the bathroom mirror.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lounge chair abuse is everywhere including resorts, community pool, ship, etc.   I am not going to get up at the crack of dawn to secure a lounge chair.  When I do decide to go the the pool area it is usually easy to spot the "reserved" chairs--a book, a towel, towel clips, or maybe some sunglasses.  Nothing of real value.  So, after observing for a little while I politely put those items aside and use the chair.  When they return-sometimes 3 hours later I simply say I was "holding your space". They know their crime!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

We were on Seabourn recently in the Caribbean , at the start of the voyage there were chair hogs and we couldn’t get a chair by the pool, I did complain and it was put in the daily news sheet not to reserve chairs, it got better and we were able to get seats, it was on the newssheet most days not to reserve seats

We have sailed with RSSC once, they took no notice of the issues we had which were substantial so we cancelled our next cruise which we had booked with them as they just didn’t care , I have sent numerous feedback but with no replies so we won’t bother spending our money with them 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SkystheLimit said:

Lounge chair abuse is everywhere including resorts, community pool, ship, etc.   I am not going to get up at the crack of dawn to secure a lounge chair.  When I do decide to go the the pool area it is usually easy to spot the "reserved" chairs--a book, a towel, towel clips, or maybe some sunglasses.  Nothing of real value.  So, after observing for a little while I politely put those items aside and use the chair.  When they return-sometimes 3 hours later I simply say I was "holding your space". They know their crime!

I use a similar approach and, much to the dismay of DH, I hand the items in as "lost and found". I have never had to deal with the items owners as they have never returned whilst I am occupying the lounger. QED

• Like 6

We are on night 5 of a seven nighter on the Splendor. Happily, we haven’t had much of a chair hog problem on the pool deck. Today, we found loungers where we wanted on the shady side. About an hour or so later, I noticed that the lounger next to mine had a cell phone on it the whole time. We moved then to a shadier side, and the cell phone was still there, and probably still is. I don’t steal anything, but I would not “reserve” a lounger by leaving my cell phone on one for hours. I do think the service crew needs to police the place better. And perhaps to ensure that guests don’t leave valuables on the loungers, as well as not “reserving” them by leaving cell phones, purses, or the like. And we agree — if you are not sitting there, it isn’t yours.

3 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We are on night 5 of a seven nighter on the Splendor. Happily, we haven’t had much of a chair hog problem on the pool deck. Today, we found loungers where we wanted on the shady side. About an hour or so later, I noticed that the lounger next to mine had a cell phone on it the whole time. We moved then to a shadier side, and the cell phone was still there, and probably still is. I don’t steal anything, but I would not “reserve” a lounger by leaving my cell phone on one for hours. I do think the service crew needs to police the place better. And perhaps to ensure that guests don’t leave valuables on the loungers, as well as not “reserving” them by leaving cell phones, purses, or the like. And we agree — if you are not sitting there, it isn’t yours.

This might have actually been a case of "lost and found."  I agree, I'd never leave my cell phone for hours to reserve a chair.  It's very possible it fell out of someone's bag or something and they didn't notice.  At least if I felt so inclined to turn it in, that sure would have been my excuse as I went back to the chair. 😎

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I feel obligated to post the reply I received from RSSC regarding the "lounge chair hog" issue. I'm pleased to see that RSSC has acknowledged this problem and is the process of taking steps to correct it.  Thanks to all who posted their comments on this issue.

image.thumb.jpeg.be819862631592a2204a35f5fa9b28dd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Actions speak louder than words so stay tuned. Regent had a policy in place that they didn’t enforce. This shouldn’t take long to come up with a new solution so hopefully we will see changes very soon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Actions speak louder than words so stay tuned. Regent had a policy in place that they didn’t enforce. This shouldn’t take long to come up with a new solution so hopefully we will see changes very soon. 

I agree. Let's hope that they're not just patronizing guests but will actually act as their response appears to suggest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I agree. Let's hope that they're not just patronizing guests but will actually act as their response appears to suggest.

Time will tell but experience shows they have know about this for a long time and a couple of letters isn't going to change their corporate strategy.

• Like 4

I think that Pcardad is exactly right. If anyone else follows along on the the Social board, it's plain to see that there is almost a cult like bliss with Regent.  We are but a drop in the bucket in the amount of cruising we do or want to do and the $$ that is spent must be astronomical. If some of those regulars wanted something to change badly enough, I expect that it would. I also believe that if Mr. and Mrs. Blah Blah made it known that they would like a certain lounger at this time or that...it would happen. Keep in mind that the core crowd will or is slowly aging out and things can evolve and not quickly enough for some of us paying customers but I wouldn't count on anything soon and I will continue to move stuff without expecting to get thrown off the ship.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Time will tell but experience shows they have know about this for a long time and a couple of letters isn't going to change their corporate strategy.

I agree. I was disappointed to see that the letter came from a guest relations supervisor. I assume that “supervisor” level is the equivalent of “Director” in banking. Everyone is a “Director.” Means nothing….

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I agree. I was disappointed to see that the letter came from a guest relations supervisor. I assume that “supervisor” level is the equivalent of “Director” in banking. Everyone is a “Director.” Means nothing….

This would be the position directly above entry-level...

• Haha 2

Would like to share that recently on Splendor in Caribbean we had most loungers around the pool in the shade either with people in them or saved with items. At 9am. I am a ship destination cruiser. So about day 5 I found a lounger and removed items (ship brochure) to another location middle lounger before the pool. The people beside me in their loungers said “good for you” and I had a love time until lunch and no one came to get the brochure by noon. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Or a Car dealership sales manager? 🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 3:45 AM, forgap said:

This leaves me scratching my head.  Who would leave something valuable unattended in a deck chair? Seems like someone wanted to get litigious.  

I am betting it’s not anything that is really that valuable!

• 2 weeks later...

During our present cruise a couple have taken entitled shady lounger hogging to a new bizarre level

0535EB5E-0C5C-46C1-9EA8-7E47043C3CDA.jpeg.8bff92f7b8f541c92f73f6b60ef58889.jpeg

On two consecutive port days they “reserved” two loungers for the whole morning; presumably while they were on an excursion.

On their return around lunchtime they returned to their spot, decided it was too hot, even in the shade, picked up their belongings & left 🤨🙄

On a positive note the laundry didn’t need to process two towels and lounger covers 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

During our present cruise a couple have taken entitled shady lounger hogging to a new bizarre level

0535EB5E-0C5C-46C1-9EA8-7E47043C3CDA.jpeg.8bff92f7b8f541c92f73f6b60ef58889.jpeg

On two consecutive port days they “reserved” two loungers for the whole morning; presumably while they were on an excursion.

On their return around lunchtime they returned to their spot, decided it was too hot, even in the shade, picked up their belongings & left 🤨🙄

On a positive note the laundry didn’t need to process two towels and lounger covers 😉

As you're walking by next time, why not move their "reserved" items to loungers in the sun? Then continue on. You can't be accused of stealing anything. 😁

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

As you're walking by next time, why not move their "reserved" items to loungers in the sun? Then continue on. You can't be accused of stealing anything. 😁

The lounges in the photo do not appear to be located in the covered, shaded area.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:09 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Regent doesn’t care.

A simple solution would be to post the rules and put them in the cruise contract and the safety video.  If somebody breaks them they get a warning, if they do it a second time they are removed from the ship.  No removing valuables and clear cut consequences.

I wish I had a Passages from our cruise earlier this month so I could post the wording of a daily notice requesting passengers not save the loungers.  There is also a tiny notice posted on the pool deck on the Grandeur, but it is very easy to overlook.

Every sunny day, some passengers rose early to place items, or themselves, on the coveted semi-private shaded loungers, preventing others from using them.  It was usually the same people, over and over.