Current satisfaction with Azamara now that new Ownership has had time

Vineyard View

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I am curious what other brands in the premium or luxury segment you have sailed on?  Maybe Azamara has ticked enough boxes for you to have no desire to sail on another, and that’s really quite okay. Again, thank you for your thoughtful and honest input in your response to this thread. 
DH and I always have a great time when we travel, and starting this thread has provided a lot of meaningful input to Azamara. We are definitely looking at some interesting itineraries for our travels next Spring. 

I agree that Dynacruiser had some very good points.  It boils down to whether people are happy complaining a lot or happy despite the less than perfect circumstances.  But I believe you'll find similar observations on any cruise line.  I hate this phrase, however the "new normal" for cruise lines is increased cost of goods and finding ways to aid the bottom line. That results in the undesired cost cutting so many cruisers notice while fares have increased.

I hope you don't mind my two cents. I tend to look at a few cruise lines and compare itinerary and value for the fare.  What is included and what costs extra.  That's the analytical in me.

Shortly after the pandemic I sailed Celebrity, Azamara and then Regent.  Celebrity used to be my go to line but has fallen out of my favor.  Too much Royal Caribbeanization.

I sailed AZ before the pandemic and after. In 2017, it was my best cruise ever since I began sailing in 1985.  To put things in perspective from my standpoint, my most recent three cruises following our last AZ was on Regent.  I currently have three AZ booked cruises and one Regent in 2/2026.  Both are now my go to lines. So it really boils down to what you enjoy most about your cruise.  That is a deciding factor for me.  I find quality service, better quality food and good itineraries on both theses lines since I prefer a more than 12 day cruise.

As a suggestion, I find the best time to get the lowest prices for cruises is when the itineraries are first released.  They only go up from there as the ship fills.  Periodically Regent does a two suite category upgrade. I usually only book during that promotion.

However only y'all know what floats your boat. Try them and see what you like and dislike because opinions are subjective.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Shortly after the pandemic I sailed Celebrity, Azamara and then Regent.  Celebrity used to be my go to line but has fallen out of my favor.  Too much Royal Caribbeanization.

Even before the pandemic, our last Celebrity cruise (on the then-new Edge) was our last Celebrity cruise.  So we tried moving up the RCG line to Silversea – only to find that it is now being Royal Caribbeanized!  Thank God they sold Azamara, so it can stay Azamara!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I will say that I never read anything to make me think that “Azamara is a party on board now”. What I had read was that the special event off ship in the evening is now a party on board. So no, I did not picture nor read that this is a party atmosphere type of line.

I am curious what other brands in the premium or luxury segment you have sailed on?  Maybe Azamara has ticked enough boxes for you to have no desire to sail on another, 

I apologize for misunderstanding your original comment of "Party on board".  

I have only traveled with Celebrity, and it was disappointing.   I decided I'll stick to Azamara unless I see compelling reasons to try a different line (and I do read about other cruise lines).     Luckily, a lot of people take time to post great comparisons of cruise lines here and elsewhere (for example @Host Jazzbeau's comparison of Azamara and Regency).  

Many reasons to stick to Azamara, but must mention that fellow passengers are fantastic.  

@java spot described very well the sense of equality in her post here.  This really encourages a sense of camaraderie where passengers don't feel the need to show off their wealth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

I apologize for misunderstanding your original comment of "Party on board".  

I have only traveled with Celebrity, and it was disappointing.   I decided I'll stick to Azamara unless I see compelling reasons to try a different line (and I do read about other cruise lines).     Luckily, a lot of people take time to post great comparisons of cruise lines here and elsewhere (for example @Host Jazzbeau's comparison of Azamara and Regency).  

Many reasons to stick to Azamara, but must mention that fellow passengers are fantastic.  

@java spot described very well the sense of equality in her post here.  This really encourages a sense of camaraderie where passengers don't feel the need to show off their wealth.

Again, I  thank you.  I wasn’t completely clear on the party atmosphere statement. I honestly think that Azamara would be a fun line to cruise on. The R ship size of bathrooms and space prior to suites is my own, and DH, hesitation.. Yes, I clearly accept that this works for so many people. Not just with Azamara R ships. 

I'm not long back from Hong Kong to Tokyo on Journey and spent 11 days in Japan afterwards. I'm not going get into the intricacies, but my overall experience on the ship was most definitely not as good as I've previously enjoyed.

I've always felt that it was a special experience on Azamara with great service and good food. Lots of nice little touches around that made it seem as though you were genuinely being cared for. This time not so much. Nothing special in the cabin. Not even flowers to brighten the room. For a premium experience I also feel the ships are getting a little old.  Most disappointing though was the general so so service. Admittedly there are the stars I've sailed with before, but there were also a large number of new faces and I didn't feel they exhibited the Azamara way of going the extra mile. Poor training. 

The food in the buffet I felt was generally overcooked. The chicken I had at the deck barbecue was tough and stringy like a lot of the chicken dishes. We had a lovely meal in Prime C, but our server was poor. There were too many inconsistencies on a ship that used to be my favourite. 

The old adage of having too much of a good thing maybe true in my case. Perhaps I've just done too many Azamara cruises and need a change, but overall I feel they are resting on their laurels too much. Not offering anything different. I've booked Onward for September with good friends, one of who has been going through cancer so it will be a special trip for us all, but I will reassess after that one which I think will be my 50th on Azamara. As I said perhaps I need a change, but the feel and service just weren't the same. Not "special" enough. 

Phil 

• Like 5

That’s how we felt after our cruise on Journey in November. When we got good service it came across as if they were doing you a great favour, rather than it being the norm. Pursuit in Feb/March was totally different - excellent but unobtrusive service, great food too.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

That’s how we felt after our cruise on Journey in November. When we got good service it came across as if they were doing you a great favour, rather than it being the norm. Pursuit in Feb/March was totally different - excellent but unobtrusive service, great food too.

Strangely enough I did a back to back on Journey and then Quest back in 2022 and the experience was chalk and cheese. Much better on Journey than Quest (it was when the four ships met in Koper). These inconsistencies shouldn't happen. There should be a standard across the fleet. I miss Heike and Johannes on Journey. They ran a tight ship.

No doubt that there are maintenence issues on these older ships. Our cabin patio door howled when it was windy as the seals were shot. I believe they are falling behind now with newer ships coming onstream. There are a number of ports that Azamara can no longer go to because they don't meet the emissions requirements. If Azamara announced new ships that would get me interested. Big news coming on the 10th April. Wonder if that will excite?  Or another special offer?

Phil 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Big news coming on the 10th April. Wonder if that will excite?  Or another special offer?

Phil 

First thing that comes to mind is a new build.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I agree that Dynacruiser had some very good points.  It boils down to whether people are happy complaining a lot or happy despite the less than perfect circumstances.  But I believe you'll find similar observations on any cruise line.  I hate this phrase, however the "new normal" for cruise lines is increased cost of goods and finding ways to aid the bottom line. That results in the undesired cost cutting so many cruisers notice while fares have increased.

I hope you don't mind my two cents. I tend to look at a few cruise lines and compare itinerary and value for the fare.  What is included and what costs extra.  That's the analytical in me.

I sailed AZ before the pandemic and after. In 2017, it was my best cruise ever since I began sailing in 1985.  To put things in perspective from my standpoint, my most recent three cruises following our last AZ was on Regent.  I currently have three AZ booked cruises and one Regent in 2/2026.  Both are now my go to lines. So it really boils down to what you enjoy most about your cruise.  That is a deciding factor for me.  I find quality service, better quality food and good itineraries on both theses lines since I prefer a more than 12 day cruise.

As a suggestion, I find the best time to get the lowest prices for cruises is when the itineraries are first released.  They only go up from there as the ship fills.  Periodically Regent does a two suite category upgrade. I usually only book during that promotion.

However only y'all know what floats your boat. Try them and see what you like and dislike because opinions are subjective.

Thank you Chucktownsteve for this analysis. We have not sailed on Regent, so I cannot compare. I agree that there are always complainers on the four boards that I mostly follow. When the same complaints become consistent (ie: inconsistency on Az, skipped/reduced ports on Oceania) some legitimacy tends to develop. That said, I agree that no line is perfect. 
I agree that first out itineraries aes generally the time to book. I missed that window for next Spring. I think it is a good thing to have a couple of lines that you are comfortable with and can enjoy. It opens up more itineraries and options. You finding that with Regent and Azamara provides that for you. Again, thanks for your comparisons. 

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm not long back from Hong Kong to Tokyo on Journey and spent 11 days in Japan afterwards. I'm not going get into the intricacies, but my overall experience on the ship was most definitely not as good as I've previously enjoyed.

I've always felt that it was a special experience on Azamara with great service and good food. Lots of nice little touches around that made it seem as though you were genuinely being cared for. This time not so much. Nothing special in the cabin. Not even flowers to brighten the room. For a premium experience I also feel the ships are getting a little old.  Most disappointing though was the general so so service. Admittedly there are the stars I've sailed with before, but there were also a large number of new faces and I didn't feel they exhibited the Azamara way of going the extra mile. Poor training. 

The food in the buffet I felt was generally overcooked. The chicken I had at the deck barbecue was tough and stringy like a lot of the chicken dishes. We had a lovely meal in Prime C, but our server was poor. There were too many inconsistencies on a ship that used to be my favourite. 

The old adage of having too much of a good thing maybe true in my case. Perhaps I've just done too many Azamara cruises and need a change, but overall I feel they are resting on their laurels too much. Not offering anything different. I've booked Onward for September with good friends, one of who has been going through cancer so it will be a special trip for us all, but I will reassess after that one which I think will be my 50th on Azamara. As I said perhaps I need a change, but the feel and service just weren't the same. Not "special" enough. 

Phil 

Thank you for your review of your most recent experience. Your vast amount of sailing experience with Azamara brings a lot of knowledge of product and expectation. I am sorry to hear that your recent sailing missed the mark on multiple levels. That is disappointing. 
Not having sailed in that part of the world, do you think supply availability had any impact on food? I haven’t read that before but I don’t follow those itineraries. The inconsistent service, and cutbacks mentioned, I believe,  would be noticeable to most people who sail in this category. 
I hope that your Onward journey in September proves to be much better for you and your friends on such an important occasion. 

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Again, consistent inconsistency. Is there a vehicle that Azamara has to provide feedback to Miami? From reading this thread, it sure sounds as if someone at the top needs to step it up in a big way. I know you have sailed Azamara a lot as well. 

We have experienced Pursuit and Quest with AZ and have a B2B on Pursuit booked for 2025.  We also cruise on Oceania and enjoy both their O and R ships.  The R ships on Oceania have been updated with shower doors in the veranda cabin bathrooms, so we booked a suite on Quest and were more comfortable with the additional space and dining options.  Overall, we have been pleased with both AZ and O, and have not experienced missed ports on either line, with the exception of the Fargo Islands on O.  We did the Chilean Fjords on Quest and made every port, including the Falklands, and Ushuaia which are often missed by other cruise ships.  Unless we decide to spend more money on one of the luxury lines such as Regent, we intend to enjoy sailing on Azamara as long as we can.  

8 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Hi Phil.  Thanks for your thoughts on your most recent cruise on Journey.  One question…..was Ryszard the Hotel Manager and Stephen the CD?

Your thoughts are a little concerning to me considering Journey is my next cruise. Inconsistency seems to be the trend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Hi Phil.  Thanks for your thoughts on your most recent cruise on Journey.  One question…..was Ryszard the Hotel Manager and Stephen the CD?

Your thoughts are a little concerning to me considering Journey is my next cruise. Inconsistency seems to be the trend.

We were on the same cruise as Phil as well as the previous one.  Ryszard was the new hotel manager on this one, Stephen was the CD on both.  The second cruise was much better than the first with Ryszard on board.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Journey in January and the room and hallway cleaning were not up the usual Azamara standards. I talked to Guest Relations and the assistant hotel manager talked to us about the problem. The room attendant let us know she was not happy, but our room cleaning was a little more thorough. Ryszard is excellent but he was not onboard then.

Posted (edited)

When my room is not clean (it happens), I personally prefer to complain directly to the cleaning person.  Their jobs are hard enough and I feel they could get in trouble if I talk to the hotel director.    

But I hope Azamara is a good employer and uses negative feedback from guests to better train their employees, rather than punish them.

Edited by Dynacruiser
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dynacruiser said:

When my room is not clean (it happens), I personally prefer to complain directly to the cleaning person.  Their jobs are hard enough and I feel they could get in trouble if I talk to the hotel director.    

But I hope Azamara is a good employer and uses negative feedback from guests to better train their employees, rather than punish them.

If I could have found her, I might have said something. I was told she came from another cruise line (I wasn't told which one) and that the situation would be monitored. I wasn't even going to say anything to Guest Relations but, we had no more soap in our room, and I went looking for a bar of soap. I had left a dime size piece of soap on the bathroom counter in hopes she would realize we needed more soap. When we returned to our room in the afternoon, the piece of soap was still sitting on the counter where I left it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Strangely enough I did a back to back on Journey and then Quest back in 2022 and the experience was chalk and cheese. Much better on Journey than Quest (it was when the four ships met in Koper). These inconsistencies shouldn't happen. There should be a standard across the fleet. I miss Heike and Johannes on Journey. They ran a tight ship.

No doubt that there are maintenence issues on these older ships. Our cabin patio door howled when it was windy as the seals were shot. I believe they are falling behind now with newer ships coming onstream. There are a number of ports that Azamara can no longer go to because they don't meet the emissions requirements. If Azamara announced new ships that would get me interested. Big news coming on the 10th April. Wonder if that will excite?  Or another special offer?

Phil 

I'm sorry to hear it was not up to par.  Perhaps Journey has become the "training" ship?

The hotel director who was on for our first cruise, and I believe on Pirate Wife's cruise, was the worst one we have ever had.  Consequently, we found that other senior officers were very lax in their duties as well.  This attitude flowed from the top down.  We had never seen anything like it on an Azamara cruise.  When Ryszard came onboard things changed instantly.  He was sent to Journey for only 1 1/2 months and then is going back to Quest, so you can draw your own conclusions.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, crzrr said:

The hotel director who was on for our first cruise, and I believe on Pirate Wife's cruise, was the worst one we have ever had.  Consequently, we found that other senior officers were very lax in their duties as well.  This attitude flowed from the top down.  We had never seen anything like it on an Azamara cruise.  When Ryszard came onboard things changed instantly.  He was sent to Journey for only 1 1/2 months and then is going back to Quest, so you can draw your own conclusions.

I have seen some changes in HD on Azamara in the past year, and many of the “legacy HD” are off to other cruiselines, etc.  The changes have not been for the better, either.  

We are due to sail on Journey for our first cruise over Christmas and New Years and I hope it will be a good experience….fingers crossed, but to say I am nervous…..that’s an understatement! 

12 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

If your room is not clean then there may simply be a training issue and by mentioning it then that can be dealt with. Helps you, them and potentially other guests. I wouldn't be afraid to speak to the Chief Housekeeper or their assistant. That's their remit and as far up the line as I'd personally take it. 

Phil 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We are due to sail on Journey for our first cruise over Christmas and New Years and I hope it will be a good experience….fingers crossed, but to say I am nervous…..that’s an understatement! 

I don't want to make you nervous. It was just my experience and you will probably have a fab time. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:20 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Even before the pandemic, our last Celebrity cruise (on the then-new Edge) was our last Celebrity cruise.  So we tried moving up the RCG line to Silversea – only to find that it is now being Royal Caribbeanized!  Thank God they sold Azamara, so it can stay Azamara!!!

Oh dear. I have an Azamara cruise booked next month (have sailed with them many times) but also have a Silverseas cruise booked for next year (have also sailed with them). I was horrified to read your ‘Royal Caribbeanized’ comment!