Where does the boat dock in Key West

12 minutes ago, conniehar said:

Traveling on the Jade next month and trying to find out where the boat docks.  Is it a tender stop?  Thanks!

Look at your Guest Confirmation information, it will tell you if any of your particular ports of call will require tendering.

Enjoy Key West-- so much history is there including The Harry Truman Winter White House.  There is also a wonderful aquarium and a Pirate Museum (real pirates not movie ones). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, conniehar said:

Traveling on the Jade next month and trying to find out where the boat docks.  Is it a tender stop?  Thanks!

I’m on this cruise in June. I know GSC is tender, the reason why this port is skipped many times due to wind! Grand Cayman as well

FFF5B006-6E99-4582-93A0-8472C093B5A5.png

Edited by njkate
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cruiseandgamble said:

In January the Jade docked at the Cruise Piers right off of Front Street - this picture is from Mallory Square.

image.thumb.png.42ed79cb555233a864a2d765c54b63c5.png

We were on a land trip, not a cruise, but we saw cruise ships tied up in this exact place, which is ideally located adjacent to Mallory Square.  Really couldn't ask for a better location!

• Like 1

Our last stop there, we docked at the Navy pier, but they ran a shuttle into town.  Since we we back in the US, we did not take out passports with us.  Big mistake.  Security would not let us and several others board the shuttle back to to ship.  Placed us in a security area to wait.   A security member from the ship had to come to us with a laptop, scan our card and verify we did indeed belong on the ship.  Take your passport if docked on Navy property.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Our last stop there, we docked at the Navy pier, but they ran a shuttle into town.  Since we we back in the US, we did not take out passports with us.  Big mistake.  Security would not let us and several others board the shuttle back to to ship.  Placed us in a security area to wait.   A security member from the ship had to come to us with a laptop, scan our card and verify we did indeed belong on the ship.  Take your passport if docked on Navy property.  

You dont need a passport just a photo government issued ID. In Key west no need to bring your passport assure. 

4 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

You dont need a passport just a photo government issued ID. In Key west no need to bring your passport assure. 

If you dock at the NAVY dock, you sure needed it when we were last there.  Or they will not let you back onto Navy property.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

If you dock at the NAVY dock, you sure needed it when we were last there.  Or they will not let you back onto Navy property.  

So, If I am on a closed loop cruise visiting Key West, which only requires Birth certificate and Phot ID, your telling me that if as an American Citizen, they will not let me back on board. I worked onboard cruise ships for years and have docked in the navy yard, you absolutely do not need a passport to go ashore and return to the ship. All the cruises i have been on and also worked on, I have never taken my passport ashore, it stays in my safe from the minute i get to my cabin. 

Posted (edited)

I'm telling you guaranteed 100% what I said is what happened to us and about 10 other guests.  You mileage may differ with a different cruise.  Have no idea.  The shuttle from town stopped at the Navy security gate.  A security guard said, "everyone show you passports".  I said we didn't have ours with us, only our room card.  The others few folks said the same thing.  He then said for you without passports to get off the shuttle.  We were then corralled into a holding area away from the gate.  About 20 minutes later a ship security guard came for us.   And that's the way it was.  

Edited by roger001
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, roger001 said:

... The shuttle from town stopped at the Navy security gate.  A security guard said, "everyone show you passports".  I said we didn't have ours with us, only our room card.  The others few folks said the same thing.  He then said for you without passports to get off the shuttle.  We were then corralled into a holding area away from the gate.  About 20 minutes later a ship security guard came for us.   And that's the way it was.  

Since it is a US Military installation, I wonder if a valid US Military ID would have sufficed?!

None the less, I imagine that paying close attention to "requirements" prior to disembarking in Key West is absolutely essential!

• Thanks 1

I am just confused how ALL cruise lines do not require a Passport for closed loop cruises. Also that would mean that all Crew would not be able to return to the ship as crew members passports are held by the cruise lines. Just wondering. 

Posted (edited)

My understanding is - To go on a military installation in the United States you must have either a Passport OR a Real ID.  We didn't feel the need to get our Real ID (more paperwork must be produced) for years to fly, since we held a Passport.

It doesn't have to do with the port, it is being on a military installation.

Edited by Sea saw 56
spelling
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I said we didn't have ours with us, only our room card.  The others few folks said the same thing. 

This was your problem. You did not take the required government issued ID card (such as a driver's license) that was required to gain entry to the pier.

The need for the ID is a common requirement at many ports of call.

There are times they will be checked and times the ship's card is all that is needed.

In Key West, I have had the ID checked for the Navy Pier and the pier at the end of Front Steet.

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

So, If I am on a closed loop cruise visiting Key West, which only requires Birth certificate and Phot ID, your telling me that if as an American Citizen, they will not let me back on board. I worked onboard cruise ships for years and have docked in the navy yard, you absolutely do not need a passport to go ashore and return to the ship. All the cruises i have been on and also worked on, I have never taken my passport ashore, it stays in my safe from the minute i get to my cabin. 

Wonder if they would have a separate gate for crew and all you would need is your Crew Member ID??

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Since it is a US Military installation, I wonder if a valid US Military ID would have sufficed?!

None the less, I imagine that paying close attention to "requirements" prior to disembarking in Key West is absolutely essential!

A valid US Military ID should work.  I never go anywhere without my Military ID.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

My understanding is - To go on a military installation in the United States you must have either a Passport OR a Real ID.  

It doesn't have to do with the port, it is being on a military installation.

That is true for entry to any US government facility.

However for the Nay Pier in Key West, access is strictly controlled in that the shuttle is the only allowable means of transiting the base from the pier to the street gate or the gate to the pier (no walking).

For the shuttle, a government issue ID must be shown to pass through the gates.

For US citizens, that means the form of photo ID that is acceptable for a close loop cruise. For others, it may only be the passport.

In any case, the ship would have told passengers leaving the ship  (numerous times, in numerous places, orally and written) what was required.

I find it hard to believe that someone would leave the ship in Key West with only the ship's card  and not a wallet or purse where there would be a form of government issue photo ID.

Of course, the non-US citizen may have had diffferent ID requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Wonder if they would have a separate gate for crew and all you would need is your Crew Member ID??

No, we took the same shuttles as the passengers. But our shipboard crew cards had our pictures on it. 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:45 AM, njkate said:

I’m on this cruise in June. I know GSC is tender, the reason why this port is skipped many times due to wind! Grand Cayman as well

FFF5B006-6E99-4582-93A0-8472C093B5A5.png

We are going on this cruise in July. Please come back and tell us how you liked it!

For Key West we are thinking the hop on hop off trolley is how we'll spend our day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eyecantwait said:

We are going on this cruise in July. Please come back and tell us how you liked it!

For Key West we are thinking the hop on hop off trolley is how we'll spend our day.

Just a warning about the hop on hop off trolley:

If you are in Key West when there is a heavy influx of tourists (such as cruise ship passengers), you may find it impossible to hop back on the trolley or will  need to wait for a long time for a space to be available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1