Dutch Tulip Bulbs-can we take on board?

Hi everyone

I’m doing a cruise on the Rotterdam at the end of April. Before it, I’m going to visit Keukenhof gardens and was planning to buy some tulip bulbs while there. 

Am I allowed to take packs of bulbs on board? 

Many thanks 

In 2017 I brought back bulbs from Amsterdam.  When at the floating flower market I suspected they were asked often if they can be brought to the US. They put a special agricultural sticker on them. I declared them when entering the US. It took like 10 minutes for Customs to look it up but ultimately they let me have them.  

• Like 1

We bought some last fall in Amsterdam from the flower market and we just looked for ones that have a sticker that says it's okay to bring into the US. We put them in our luggage when we disembarked in Ft. Lauderdale and the dogs found them so we got pulled aside. It wasn't a big deal - except we felt guilty! - but they just looked them up. I think I'd carry them off next time.

There are customs/agriculture rules regarding carrying meat, cheese, plants, etc into the US.   Be SURE to learn the process in order to avoid inspection delays and potential fines / confiscation!

• Like 1

In the Keukenhof, just like other tourist spots where tulip bulbs are on display, there will undoubtedly be specially packaged tulip bulbs for sale that meet the agricultural access requirements of, among others, the United States. This is also the case at Schiphol Airport. You are not the first tourist, wanting to take bulbs to their homecountry and they will cater to those needs and requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

In the Keukenhof, just like other tourist spots where tulip bulbs are on display, there will undoubtedly be specially packaged tulip bulbs for sale that meet the agricultural access requirements of, among others, the United States. This is also the case at Schiphol Airport. You are not the first tourist, wanting to take bulbs to their homecountry and they will cater to those needs and requirements.

Here is a correction, with an official reply of "Keukenhof"; 

The sale of flower bulbs on the Keukenhof premises is managed by the bulb companies Frylink and QFB. At these companies, you can place an order to have them shipped abroad. These bulbs will need to be inspected and sent to the destination with official documents.

Links to the companies' websites: Frylink: http://www.frylink.com/ QFB: https://www.qfbgardening.nl/

• Like 2

I did it & when we got back to the US I gave the Customs guy my best poker face & told him I didn’t have any fruit, plants or whatever. That was in 2010. I gave  a few extras to a neighbor & every year ONE bulb still blooms.

Just now, DoorCounty said:

I did it & when we got back to the US I gave the Customs guy my best poker face & told him I didn’t have any fruit, plants or whatever. That was in 2010. I gave  a few extras to a neighbor & every year ONE bulb still blooms.

Unless they decide to check you anyway. Then it becomes more of a problem then if you had declared them to begin with.

• Like 1

I bought daffodil bulbs in Holland and England, they had certificates, I declared them, the customs officer didn't want to see them, they were still blooming as of the time I sold the house two years ago.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:20 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

We had ours shipped to Canada to avoid any issues.  I believe they came in the

fall in time to plant.

If you're going to the Netherlands in spring, it's much better to order for fall shipping. The bulbs for sale in the spring were harvested the previous spring. If the fields are full of tulips in bloom when you're there, those flowers will be cut and the foliage left to finish nourishing the bulb. When the foliage has died back, perhaps 2 months later, the bulbs are dug up and sorted and packaged for planting that fall. 

Yes, year-old bulbs will likely grow and bloom, but your best chance for success is to order in the spring for fall shipment. Or buy in person if you're there after the harvest.

• Like 2