Amount to tip the concierge per request.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, 20165 said:

What about the candy or teeshirts they also mentioned. Is that ok not to demean them also?? 

'Perhaps a nice bottle of wine, candy or a tee shirt .... He/she will be pleasantly surprised and grateful.'

I'm coming from a place of experience, in speaking to the fact that I/we have actually done this with the advice from fellow passengers. Most recently a couple we traveled with from Enfield England. And if you or others spend enough time on this site you will read that this is offered as advice and practiced. Advice about feelings (sense) is far removed from actual experience. If you were incensed from the post ignore it and take advice from those you deem worthy.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

So why don't we tip the Captain, for he is getting to the port on time?

stay in your lane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 20165 said:

What about the candy or teeshirts they also mentioned. Is that ok not to demean them also?? 

'Perhaps a nice bottle of wine, candy or a tee shirt .... He/she will be pleasantly surprised and grateful.'

52 minutes ago, memoak said:

If they are Muslim they ma e VERY offended

I believe the person making the post mentioned conversing with the person to get an idea of what might be appreciated.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mark_K said:

I believe the person making the post mentioned conversing with the person to get an idea of what might be appreciated.

Right, i thought i made it clear that i would be tipping and understand that some do not, which is fine, i was just trying get a ballpark of those that do tip, what the range is.  Hotel concierges are also part of the hotel services, but i still tip them when i ask them for a reservation, things to do in the area, etc. Same concept here, just trying to get a idea of what others have tipped in the past.  thx

• Like 3

13 hours ago, c-boy said:

stay in your lane

Apparently some people do not understand jokes.

OK, more seriously: I have difficulties understanding how you tip a person who just handled you their business card. Moreover, when a person in a similar position on another line organized a taxi for us to disembark early (last pot of call) and I attempted to tip that person, she outright refused and looked at me as if I tried to demean her. Now, that was eleven years ago, before the massive change of the tipping culture in the US, but still...

There is a better way to show your appreciation. Mention that this person has provided an outstanding service on the post cruise survey. In this way, the concierge/suite experience manager would have a better chance for a promotion. What do you think is more valuable, a ~20% increase in their salary or a meager $20?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

What do you think is more valuable, a ~20% increase in their salary or a meager $20?

Or maybe some candy and a tee-shirt?  Apparently, those are widely welcomed as a reward for professional services performed well?

Guest Snaxmuppet
33 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Right, i thought i made it clear that i would be tipping and understand that some do not, which is fine, i was just trying get a ballpark of those that do tip, what the range is.  Hotel concierges are also part of the hotel services, but i still tip them when i ask them for a reservation, things to do in the area, etc. Same concept here, just trying to get a idea of what others have tipped in the past.  thx

I realise that you acknowledge that some don't tip and so that is why I replied... to confirm that I for one don't tip and it seems like a lot of others don't either.

You posted the question but you cannot dictate the replies.

32 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Apparently some people do not understand jokes.

OK, more seriously: I have difficulties understanding how you tip a person who just handled you their business card. Moreover, when a person in a similar position on another line organized a taxi for us to disembark early (last pot of call) and I attempted to tip that person, she outright refused and looked at me as if I tried to demean her. Now, that was eleven years ago, before the massive change of the tipping culture in the US, but still...

There is a better way to show your appreciation. Mention that this person has provided an outstanding service on the post cruise survey. In this way, the concierge/suite experience manager would have a better chance for a promotion. What do you think is more valuable, a ~20% increase in their salary or a meager $20?

Maybe both?   I know $20.00 is $20.00 but in the grand scheme of what I pay for a cruise I don’t mind tipping extra for really good service.  

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

Maybe both?   I know $20.00 is $20.00 but in the grand scheme of what I pay for a cruise I don’t mind tipping extra for really good service.  

So you don't think that it is expected to get really good service included in what you have paid for in the first place? IMO tipping for "good" service is tipping for what you should be getting regardless and I don't do that... tipping for extra special service, over and above what would normally be expected is a different thing altogether and I make sure that I do that.

39 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Huh, someone from the UK that doesnt tip.  What are the odds...  Still not going to stop me from tipping.  I like doing it and i know in certain situations its gets me better/quicker service.  

Since only suite guests can use the concierge services there is never going to be a line service will be the same. It is part of the suite experience like laundry service and free embarkation night specialty dinner. We don’t tip for any of those   Most of our tips go to servers, stewards and bartenders that we have used frequently 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

So you don't think that it is expected to get really good service included in what you have paid for in the first place? IMO tipping for "good" service is tipping for what you should be getting regardless and I don't do that... tipping for extra special service, over and above what would normally be expected is a different thing altogether and I make sure that I do that.

With all due respect, I believe that you read more into my comment.  Of course, I do expect good service and would be disappointed to the point that I would bring it to the attention of the appropriate supervisor.    I guess it depends on what your interpretation of what “really good” means.  Have a great day.

Guest Snaxmuppet
18 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

With all due respect, I believe that you read more into my comment.  Of course, I do expect good service and would be disappointed to the point that I would bring it to the attention of the appropriate supervisor.    I guess it depends on what your interpretation of what “really good” means.  Have a great day.

But I bet you still tip? If so then that is where we differ 🙂. I don't tip unless I get something extra that I didn't pay for.

Have a great day.

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I do tip... ! I shall ignore the insult.

Perhaps you mean that I don't tip for everything regardless of whether I have received anything extra on top of what I have paid for then, had you said that, then you would be correct.

Just because someone doesn't tip for everything doesn't mean they don't tip.

My comment was more out of frustration rather than insult so i do apologize if you were insulted.  I dont care if you tip or not, i just want to hear from those that do tip, what they normally tip and when. Thats it, not a debate on if i should or should not tip, i have already determined that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

My comment was more out of frustration rather than insult so i do apologize if you were insulted.  I dont care if you tip or not, i just want to hear from those that do tip, what they normally tip and when. Thats it, not a debate on if i should or should not tip, i have already determined that.

When I cruise in a suite, I pay the automatic gratuity and that is it.

Service, above and beyond will see me giving a $20 bill to the individual, but I have not yet experienced that.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I'm a heal.  I didn't tip the concierge on our last cruise.  I didn't think it was necessary.  He was a nice guy, and quite helpful, and we chatted him up on a number of occasions.  We didn't bend on him much.  I think he booked one specialty dining evening for us, and booked one excursion, but I could tell he only had so much pull to make things happen.  If a restaurant was booked up or if an excursion was full he didn't have any magic wand to make space.  He was attentive and certainly did take his job seriously, and he ran a lovely venue, but I'm not sure if tipping would have been beneficial.

2 hours ago, dog said:

When I cruise in a suite, I pay the automatic gratuity and that is it.

Service, above and beyond will see me giving a $20 bill to the individual, but I have not yet experienced that.

I don't disagree.  That is what we have been doing the past few cruises, and we've been booking Plus or Premier, so the gratuities have been bundled.  I usually put some remaining "travel cash" into an envelope for our cabin steward, but that is about as out of the way as I go for tipping.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:53 AM, 20165 said:

For some reason these threads tend to get venomous. We sailed in a full suite over Christmas/NY and thought the Concierge was awesome. They did a lot for us (including getting us a bridge tour for my birthday). We thought of their service much like the hotel Concierge (and tipped them the same amount). At the hotel, we tipped the Concierge $100 upon arrival (as most of what she did for us was done pre stay).

On the ship, we tipped $100 at the end (along with a hand written note expressing our gratitude). We did not tip per service. Also, we made sure to call out the Concierge team on our post cruise survey.

I hope this is helpful to you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J13C85 said:

For some reason these threads tend to get venomous. We sailed in a full suite over Christmas/NY and thought the Concierge was awesome. They did a lot for us (including getting us a bridge tour for my birthday). We thought of their service much like the hotel Concierge (and tipped them the same amount). At the hotel, we tipped the Concierge $100 upon arrival (as most of what she did for us was done pre stay).

On the ship, we tipped $100 at the end (along with a hand written note expressing our gratitude). We did not tip per service. Also, we made sure to call out the Concierge team on our post cruise survey.

I hope this is helpful to you.

thank you  and yes, that is the feedback i was looking for.  Very helpful and somewhat inline with our last NCL cruise with the haven concierge.  

And yes, very contentious when it comes to tipping on this board.  Those that tip like myself feel strongly about tipping, those that dont feel equally the same on their position.  And the $100 you mentioned would fall in line if we decided to tip by request because i cant imagine that we would ask them for more than 4-5 things and that would be approx $20 per request. 

Thanks again for the info.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Crickey! $100! Clearly I live in a different world. I realise that suite guests are more affluent but that is just ridiculous IMO.

You live in the UK. That *is* a different world than the US, especially when it comes to tipping. 😉 

I can't really decide what would be an appropriate amount to tip the concierge per request because it would depend on the request. I can see tipping $20 if they got you into something pretty much impossible to get into such as on the bridge. But I can see a lot of other things that wouldn't get a tip at all (reserving your free night specialty dining on the first night) or would get one much lower (making sure you got a lounger in the Sanctuary), say $5-10.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
31 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

You live in the UK. That *is* a different world than the US, especially when it comes to tipping. 😉 

Well, I have lived in the USA for 2 years so I do know what it is like there. Also, my son lives there and is engaged to a local girl so I know what his fiancé's family does regarding tipping too. But I still feel that $20 per request or $100 per cruise is still a lot and IMO way too much for most requests. May be for some requests: if they got you on to a full excursion or a table at a full restaurant then yes I could see that it would warrant such an amount but I don't think it is my Britishness that is guiding my comments... my son's fiance's family would never consider such a tip for such a service.

28 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Well, I have lived in the USA for 2 years so I do know what it is like there. Also, my son lives there and is engaged to a local girl so I know what his fiancé's family does regarding tipping too. But I still feel that $20 per request or $100 per cruise is still a lot and IMO way too much for most requests. May be for some requests: if they got you on to a full excursion or a table at a full restaurant then yes I could see that it would warrant such an amount but I don't think it is my Britishness that is guiding my comments... my son's fiance's family would never consider such a tip for such a service.

Isn’t it nice that we have a choice.?  I never judge what others decide.

• Like 4

Guest Snaxmuppet
10 minutes ago, dog said:

Yes it is and I hope that over-tipping doesn't mean that it becomes less of a choice for everyone else. There is a lot of pressure on people to tip even when they don't want to and that is made worse when others tip excessively.

Am I judging? Probably but not as you suggest. If I am judging it is not that I don't think people should tip what they think it is worth to them. That is their choice. Any judgement I make is directed squarely at people that tip for no apparent reason for things they have already paid for or tip way over the odds just because they can afford it... or just out of habit. Sorry for that but it spoils it for everyone else as these high tips come to be expected.

You could say I am also judging people that tip in advance. That is not a tip... it is a bribe and not related to anything they have done (yet!). It has the potential to mean that the service giver gives preference to the tipper at the expense of those that don't tip in advance. That is why they do it of course but IMO that isn't right IMO.

I am one of those who likes the idea of tipping at the end of the cruise. If I feel that someone has gone above and beyond, I am happy to tip, $100 is fine, even if it translates to $20 per request. If I feel taken care of, I appreciate it and reward it.

However, I am sure no one would turn down a $20 at the end of a cruise either. Anything is appreciated, right? or am I wrong? It is difficult because culturally my accent (American) assumes I'm an over tipper, but living abroad does make one realize that the rest of the world does not have that "American tipping culture". So, I prefer to do local customs, but because I'm "American" that may be perceived as cheap, but it's what we do. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dog said:

I repeat this: I never judge what others decide.

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, dog said:

I repeat this: I never judge what others decide.

Good for you then. Clearly I do not live up to your high standards.

The OP has asked a simple question for those who have used the concierge on the ship and how much they have tipped them, simply looking for some direction on what others have done under these circumstances.  Let's try and not turn it into a full debate on tipping in general or outside of this scenario so it stays on track and they can get some answers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7