A reminder to stick with ship tours in remote places

edgee

21 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

This is kind of me too….we were on a small group tour in Portugal (not cruise related). A woman on our first stop traveling alone took off, which was ok as it was during lunch and we were having free time.  Now we are over 30 minutes past our meeting time and nothing. She had even given her cell number to someone else on the tour.  This person kept on calling her and no answer. Everyone on tour out looking for her close to our meeting point. Finally the tour guide finds her wandering aimlessly. Of course her phone was dead….nice…she just gets in van, Not a word of feeling bad for the unnecessary delay, etc…next stop she goes to get off and tour guide said…only if I go with you since it was a short stop where we were on our own for a while. 

….

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

"Entitled shopper" (love that phrase)?  À la lanterne!

Stuck on a bus, waiting for "all clear" from a bomb squad?  Not so much.

Unfortunately it really doesn't matter--if you go on your own, you are responsible to get back to the ship (on time).  I would say I go off myself 90% of the time-and I've never been late because I keep track time and always leave extra time for mishaps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

We were on an excursion in Ireland when a woman didn't return to the bus on time.  Her husband was frantic.  He found he stuck inside an elevator with doors that would not open.  Security got her out.  It was a long drive back to the pier (a couple of hours) but we did make it on time.  She said she was yelling for help and beating on the doors for over 10 minutes.  

Things happen, but why should 1198 other people have to wait?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Nobody waited.  We got to the ship on time.

Just now, Kay S said:

Nobody waited.  We got to the ship on time.

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally, I was generalizing that things happen and would make you late.  My apologies for using your story as a base for my comment.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:39 PM, edgee said:

Not true. A ship sponsored tour means the ship will wait regardless. I assume your example in NZ relates not to a ship sponsored day tour, but an overnight excursion catching up late to the ship at a different port. Ship sponsored responsibility to get to next port normally applies to a delay getting to embarkation not a delay returning from a day tour.

Edits mine.  NOT TRUE!!!  The ship will wait for you a reasonable time as long as the master feels that waiting is safe.  However if the delay will seriously impact the rest of the trip because of things like weather or tides the ship will leave. 

There was an instance some years back where a ship had to leave Port Stanley in the Falklands early and anyone who was on shore ended up left on shore.  Islanders put them all up for the night and the ship came back the next day to get them.  

The ship does have a responsibility to get them back to the ship ASAP at no cost but sometimes ASAP can be difficult.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Unfortunately it really doesn't matter--if you go on your own, you are responsible to get back to the ship (on time).  I would say I go off myself 90% of the time-and I've never been late because I keep track time and always leave extra time for mishaps.

Uhh...  We were discussing how much scorn the late folks deserved, not whether they were responsible (of course) in even the most extreme cases.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Yep.  If those waiting are sitting on a bus, it's one thing.  If they are wandering around the ship or sitting down to dinner as the ship sits at dock, that's another.

26 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Uhh...  We were discussing how much scorn the late folks deserved, not whether they were responsible (of course) in even the most extreme cases.

Do you think an airline is ever going to wait, even when you are arriving on that airline that was late for you're connecting flight...............

26 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Yep.  If those waiting are sitting on a bus, it's one thing.  If they are wandering around the ship or sitting down to dinner as the ship sits at dock, that's another.

Just an opinion - it cost the ship more $$$$ to be headed at a port longer than planned-which in turn is passed on down the road to those that got to the ship on time.  It's all about profit overall and that is the bottom line.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just an opinion - it cost the ship more $$$$ to be headed at a port longer than planned-which in turn is passed on down the road to those that got to the ship on time.  It's all about profit overall and that is the bottom line.

Not only that, but the ship will usually need to sail faster to arrive the next port of call on time, getting poorer mileage.  The Master balances both against goodwill -- that is precisely his job.

"Entitled shoppers" (still love that phrasing) deserve scorn.  Prudent folks who get whacked by "black swan events" deserve sympathy.  Both deserve to pay their way to rejoin if not on a ship-sponsored tour and the Master doesn't feel he should wait.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Do you think an airline is ever going to wait, even when you are arriving on that airline that was late for you're connecting flight...............

Never say never… it doesn’t happen all the time but did happen to us. We were the only ones on the delayed connected flight and were allowed to board the plane even after the gates had been closed. Were flying in BZ class if that matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Not only that, but the ship will usually need to sail faster to arrive the next port of call on time, getting poorer mileage.  The Master balances both against goodwill -- that is precisely his job.

"Entitled shoppers" (still love that phrasing) deserve scorn.  Prudent folks who get whacked by "black swan events" deserve sympathy.  Both deserve to pay their way to rejoin if not on a ship-sponsored tour and the Master doesn't feel he should wait.

Have seen planes held on certain routes, just as cruise ships will wait if circumstances allow. However when they do not the person who is late will miss the plane or boat.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Have seen planes held on certain routes, just as cruise ships will wait if circumstances allow. However when they do not the person who is late will miss the plane or boat.

Planes and Trains are sometimes held for passengers from connecting flights and connecting trains. The only other reason they might be held is for VIPs. I have seen trains held on the northeast corridor for them. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I have had that happen once.  There were a large number of passengers that were delayed, and they held the flight for a bit.  They didn't hold it for everybody, though, because I know some on my prior flight that did not make it.  I ran like crazy through the airport, and was the last one that made it.  The plane was still half empty when we took off, but quite a few had boarded right before me, and the next plane was ready for the spot.

53 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Planes and Trains are sometimes held for passengers from connecting flights and connecting trains. The only other reason they might be held is for VIPs. I have seen trains held on the northeast corridor for them. 

Just some reasons. Also seen them held when there where delays in security, when there where problems checking in passengers, when it is the last flight of the day to a destination and not all checked in passengers were on board, as well as when waiting for passengers from a connecting flight.

Someone had said that airlines never wait. Under certain circumstances they do.

Just as sometimes cruise ships will wait. It all depends upon circumstances and airlines, just as a cruise ship itinerary is on a schedule and the ability/willingness to wait is limited by a number of things not limited to time to next port, weather, port directives and availability, additional costs, etc.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, emd138 said:

I have had that happen once.  There were a large number of passengers that were delayed, and they held the flight for a bit.  They didn't hold it for everybody, though, because I know some on my prior flight that did not make it.  I ran like crazy through the airport, and was the last one that made it.  The plane was still half empty when we took off, but quite a few had boarded right before me, and the next plane was ready for the spot.

Yes, as I remember now it did happen to us even more than once. Last time it was Oceania booked PE flight with a short connection in Frankfurt last year. But as you mentioned not everyone had made it before the flight departed after the delay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Yes, as I remember now it did happen to us even more than once. Last time it was Oceania booked PE flight with a short connection in Frankfurt last year. But as you mentioned not everyone had made it before the flight departed after the delay.

Yes, it is key to get there as soon as you can.  I am a heavy woman but not super out of shape, and while running through the airport there were LOTS of comments made, but hey, I got on the flight!  Of course it was one end to the other of Chicago O'Hare.  The flight attendant was awesome and gave me some water, haha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, osandomir said:

Never say never… it doesn’t happen all the time but did happen to us. We were the only ones on the delayed connected flight and were allowed to board the plane even after the gates had been closed. Were flying in BZ class if that matters.

Sure it happens, but not so much these days.  Lufthansa waited once, we were in First , but they really waited for 110 students they didn't want too put up for the night nor keeping them safe.  The others on late flight going to other major cities didn't fair so well.  Basically they didn't hold the flight because we were flying first, it was the cost putting up the kids flying. 

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I don't think anyone's saying the ship should wait. Just that people are sometimes late due to things other than being an inconsiderate bum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

That reminds me. Holland America had a ship docked at one of the Israel ports on the day the Palestinian attack on Israel occurred (Oct 2023). They pulled out all the stops to get everyone back to the ship, even those on private tours, and did not leave until everyone was on board. Kudos to them for doing an extraordinary job under very challenging conditions.

There are some situations that no one can adequately plan for.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't think anyone's saying the ship should wait. Just that people are sometimes late due to things other than being an inconsiderate bum.

I can give a real world example.

A number of years ago a flight taking off from Cusco going to Lima suffered a bird strike on takeoff, slid off the run way and closed the airport. No one was injured.

On that plane were Princess Passengers on a Machu Pichu excursion, some CC folks that organized an independent excursions, and a couple that booked the trip through Amex.

The Captain waited until it was clear that they would not make it back before he had to leave port.

The ship left. Princess took care of all arrangements to get the Princess excursion participants to the ship. All hotel, flights etc.

The ship made a special stop in Manta Ecuador to pick them up. The couple that booked through AMEX Aldo reboarded in Manta and said that AMEX covered the expense and made the travel arrangements. 

The CC folks on the independent tour had to make all of their own arrangements at their own expense and rejoined the ship several days later at the normally scheduled stop in Costa Rica. I remember what one of the people planning that trip posted in the roll call while planning the trip. What can go wrong, we are on the same plane as the ship excursion.

Edited by TRLD

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That reminds me. Holland America had a ship docked at one of the Israel ports on the day the Palestinian attack on Israel occurred (Oct 2023). They pulled out all the stops to get everyone back to the ship, even those on private tours, and did not leave until everyone was on board. Kudos to them for doing an extraordinary job under very challenging conditions.

There are some situations that no one can adequately plan for.

A bit of a difference. As I understand the HAL situation  they accelerated the departure and left after they got everyone back.on board, but still left early.  

On 3/31/2024 at 1:44 PM, EJL2023 said:

It seems they end up being on quite the adventure. Per some postings it sounds as if the next port where they may have been able to join has been cancelled. I saw that mentioned a couple of times in that thread. Next port I think it said was in Senegal. 

They were supposed to reboard in The Gambia  but that port got cancelled.  The next port is Senegal.  No word on if they ever got back on ship.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 1:33 AM, Kay S said:

So has it been confirmed or not that this was a ship-sponsored excursion?

It definitely was a private tour.  

But the 80 year old was on an NCL tour. But that's another story 

Edited by Mrs f.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Kudos, indeed, but that could have gone so badly in so many ways.

The officers, staff, and crew went above and beyond

...and the Master earned a lifetime supply of Maalox.