A reminder to stick with ship tours in remote places

edgee

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That reminds me. Holland America had a ship docked at one of the Israel ports on the day the Palestinian attack on Israel occurred (Oct 2023). They pulled out all the stops to get everyone back to the ship, even those on private tours, and did not leave until everyone was on board. Kudos to them for doing an extraordinary job under very challenging conditions.

There are some situations that no one can adequately plan for.

Don't you think that is different that someone just being late because of shopping, or staying later at a spot of interest to them.  We're talking about inconsiderate people.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

me. Holland America had a ship docked at one of the Israel ports on the day the Palestinian attack on Israel occurred (Oct 2023). They pulled out all the stops to get everyone back to the ship, even those on private tours,

One of my Bermuda cruises the Captain decided to leave Bermuda early, or maybe the port ordered the ship to leave  because of weather after most of the passengers had debarked for the days activities. Bermuda is a port where no need to do a ships tour or even a private excursion. They have a buses, ferries and taxies. Both the ship and the government got the word around, the locals spread the word, and most of the passengers got back in time. A handful did not and Celebrity flew them to New York at their expense no matter what. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

It definitely was a private tour.  

But the 80 year old was on an NCL tour. But that's another story 

The 80 year old was a medical removal after experiencing a problem on an NCL excursion.

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

The 80 year old was a medical removal after experiencing a problem on an NCL excursion.

The left behind people are claiming the 80 year old was “abandoned” and if they had not been left behind and found out about her it could have been catastrophic or something like that for the 80 year old. There are many news reports about the incident and NCL is getting a load of bad publicity. None of the media I have seen are blaming the people or the tour operator. Nor are they saying stick with ship tours in remote places. The 80 year old is being used as an example that NCL abandons passengers. 

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The left behind people are claiming the 80 year old was “abandoned” and if they had not been left behind and found out about her it could have been catastrophic or something like that for the 80 year old. There are many news reports about the incident and NCL is getting a load of bad publicity. None of the media I have seen are blaming the people or the tour operator. Nor are they saying stick with ship tours in remote places. The 80 year old is being used as an example that NCL abandons passengers. 

Except like so many other parts of the article was heavily slanted. Not unusual for the press to call a medical removal to be the same as abandoned, and dumped.

In reality she was left in the care of the hospital and with other cases it is the responsibility of the patient and their insurance to return home, once the hospital releases the patient.

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I've a growing suspicion that the Campbells -- one of the couples who were touring independently and missed the all-aboard time -- are media-connected and busily working their contacts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

I've a growing suspicion that the Campbells -- one of the couples who were touring independently and missed the all-aboard time -- are media-connected and busily working their contacts.

That is my suspicion too. They certainly knew how to spin it. Virtually no blame on the tour operator. They tried to contact the Captain who refused the call blah, blah blah. Throw the Captain under the bus but the tour operator is ok…..huh? 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Bet they are angling for a free cruise as compensation for their anguish.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 5:58 AM, Mrs f. said:

They were supposed to reboard in The Gambia  but that port got cancelled.  The next port is Senegal.  No word on if they ever got back on ship.   

From what I have been able to pick up from looking at some of the 27 pages and growing fast is that they have made it back on the ship and thus far NCL has agreed to pay their expenses from getting to Gambia to Senegal only since they had to cancel Gambia.  It also appears per a post that the 80 year old suffered a stroke and per family is now hospitalized at the University of Stanford.  

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I'm 81 now and if I can't travel because of my health (really age shouldn't be a factor) that is my decision and my Doctors. That is also why I carry travel insurance.  It's a choice you make, plus when leaving the ship I always plan or my returning to the ship 4 hours before departure.  A lot of people cut it short leaving only an hour (for me that isn't enough time should something happen.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I'm 81 now and if I can't travel because of my health (really age shouldn't be a factor) that is my decision and my Doctors. That is also why I carry travel insurance.  It's a choice you make, plus when leaving the ship I always plan or my returning to the ship 4 hours before departure.  A lot of people cut it short leaving only an hour (for me that isn't enough time should something happen.

When I am 81 I will buy one of those separate medical evacuation policies which allows you to pick where to be sent.

I always plan an hour and a half before all aboard and that has worked fine. I also always confirm that the tour guide is aware of the all aboard. On a couple of occasions others on the tour proposed adding something and I had to be the bad guy and say nope…

• Like 2

Got deployed to Africa and infrastructure is...dicey at best.  Be very careful with counting on smooth travels. Might do a safari (photo) in Tanzania or Kenya someday, but otherwise no way am I paying to go back. Will likely cancel ATW if we have to go the long way around rather than the suez. 

On 4/1/2024 at 1:09 PM, osandomir said:

Unfortunately this happened often on the group tour. If that I find it difficult to be patient and keep myself from reacting strongly against those people. We always appreciate when the tour guide constantly reminding everybody to stay on schedule.

Whereas, with every drop of sarcasm in my body, I'd say, "oh,my gosh, we were so worried about you. What happened?"

I believe we all have different degrees of risk aversion based upon on our physical limitations, abilities, and personal choices. Some people won’t cross a street unless mommy Oceania is there to hold their hand. They’ll pay ridiculous prices to stay in Oceania hotels and/or take all O land tours. Other people have different views and ack according. We sometimes take ship tours based on a number criteria. The obsessive fear that some have of missing the ship is rarely one of those. To each their own.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe we all have different degrees of risk aversion based upon on our physical limitations, abilities, and personal choices. Some people won’t cross a street unless mommy Oceania is there to hold their hand. They’ll pay ridiculous prices to stay in Oceania hotels and/or take all O land tours. Other people have different views and ack according. We sometimes take ship tours based on a number criteria. The obsessive fear that some have of missing the ship is rarely one of those. To each their own.

While you profess "To each their own.", I think that you are pretty harsh in your comment about the choices others make. Some people may make those choices because of "obsessive fear", and yet they are still adventurous enough to travel to new places and do so in a way that is comfortable to them. 

We most often use ship's tours and ship's arrangements for pre/post stays. In our case, it is more for convenience or perhaps even laziness if you wish. In our early seventies, we are both still working, and prefer to let someone else handle all the details. That suits us. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

While you profess "To each their own.", I think that you are pretty harsh in your comment about the choices others make. Some people may make those choices because of "obsessive fear", and yet they are still adventurous enough to travel to new places and do so in a way that is comfortable to them. 

We most often use ship's tours and ship's arrangements for pre/post stays. In our case, it is more for convenience or perhaps even laziness if you wish. In our early seventies, we are both still working, and prefer to let someone else handle all the details. That suits us. 

I think people who only do ship tours lack creativity 😀 In most cases ship tours are over packed, too many per guide and often the most generic. I sometimes do a ship tour but usually regret it while independently booked tours have mostly been top notch. Do research and don’t end up on a bus with 20 to 60 others. If for example I can be lazy and go to the let’s say the Acropolis with 50 people or in a van with 10 people. Same place but the experience is going to be different. It really is not inconvenient to find an independent tour that takes 12 or less. 

Edited by Charles4515

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think people who only do ship tours lack creativity 😀 In most cases ship tours are over packed, too many per guide and often the most generic. I sometimes do a ship tour but usually regret it while independently booked tours have mostly been top notch. Do research and don’t end up on a bus with 20 to 60 others. If for example I can be lazy and go to the let’s say the Acropolis with 50 people or in a van with 10 people. Same place but the experience is going to be different. It really is not inconvenient to find an independent tour that takes 12 or less. 

My experience with ship's excursions have all been with Viking. I am visiting here in consideration of trying an Oceania cruise. Maybe Oceania excursions are different. On Viking, I have never even seen a bus that holds 60 people, much less been on one. Generally, groups are 30 to 35. And the Acropolis is still the Acropolis. After the group tour, we often wander on our own and return by shuttle. Generally, people on the tours are sociable. We have made friends that way. 

If I am happy with my cruise experience, if it saves me the time and effort of independently booking when I still go to work every day, then shouldn't we both be satisfied?

• Like 5

Going on a ship's tour doesn't mean you're averse to risk or lack creativity. I've been on many ship tours and most of them are quite good. There is a misconception that you'll always be in a big packed bus with 40 people. Not true at all.  I've been on some private tours that were a waste of time and money.  I don't have an obsessive fear of missing the ship. I've lived in a Third World country in West Africa and I've also lived in a foreign country in South America that was (and still is) on very unfriendly relations with the US.  So I know all about risk in foreign places. 

I go on ship's tours because I don't always want to spend time doing research on private tours.  Sometimes we will but in many ports we will take the ship's tours and we're glad we did. 

• Like 8

My 2¢:

There is no one-size-fits-all-occasions answer.

My answer changes according to how likely a tour is to be late or get stranded, if it's our first time at a port-of-call, if we are on the first day of an overnight port-of-call, how stable the "politics" are, do we speak the local language, do we feel unlucky, if it's an "ehh" port of call but we need to burn SM credits, ...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I sometimes do a ship tour but usually regret it while independently booked tours have mostly been top notch. Do research and don’t end up on a bus with 20 to 60 others. If for example I can be lazy and go to the let’s say the Acropolis with 50 people or in a van with 10 people. Same place but the experience is going to be different.

Last year we had 4 overnights in Istanbul on 3 back to back cruises on Riviera.

We did one ship's tour.

We had approx 25 people on our small bus. It was a full day tour.

Our guide was absolutely brilliant.

This tour was paid for using non refundable SBC.

Excellent value.....for us.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

My experience with ship's excursions have all been with Viking. I am visiting here in consideration of trying an Oceania cruise. Maybe Oceania excursions are different. On Viking, I have never even seen a bus that holds 60 people, much less been on one. Generally, groups are 30 to 35. And the Acropolis is still the Acropolis. After the group tour, we often wander on our own and return by shuttle. Generally, people on the tours are sociable. We have made friends that way. 

If I am happy with my cruise experience, if it saves me the time and effort of independently booking when I still go to work every day, then shouldn't we both be satisfied?

We did several shore excursions last spring in Greece. Almost on every bus the number of occupants was 27-30 for about a 40 seat bus.  We have done our own tours before on cruises and land vacation and have had 10 people in a van. If being honest I’d rather be on the bus than the van. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

We had approx 25 people on our small bus. It was a full day tour.

Our guide was absolutely brilliant.

This tour was paid for using non refundable SBC.

Excellent value.....for us.

Sounds good but 25 is too many. My limit is usually 12.  We had about 12 on all the tours I have done in Istanbul. We had 6 on an evening tour. It was all walking, the subway and the tram. I have done some larger tours to use up OBC and usually regretted it. 

Edited by Charles4515

In my opinion the quality of an excursion is greatly dependant on the tour guide, not the number of participants. I've had exceptional guides with larger group ship tours and I've had not particularly engaging guides on small independent group tours.  The secondary consideration is the other participants in the tour and whether they can listen and follow instructions. In the case of the larger tours the chances you will run across those who seem unable to do this is greater because of the greater numbers involved but it can still happen in a smaller tour ( and certainly I've experienced this too!! ) 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

This I agree with.

We often cruise for 30 - 70 days at a time, occasionally longer.

Sometimes multiple times a year.

We have reached the stage where we utilise a combination of:

Ship's tours,

Joining private tours,

Organising private tours for ourselves or perhaps one other couple maximum,

Simply wandering DIY.

This combination is desirable, ...... for us.

It allows us to manage the large number of ports we are visiting, plus the amount of time and effort we wish to spent at home in the planning stage.

We have also found, once onboard with a large number of ports in a row, we have more flexibility with being able to take an easy day if desired, instead of being committed to a lengthy tour somewhere.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

We have also found, once onboard with a large number of ports in a row, we have more flexibility with being able to take an easy day if desired, instead of being committed to a lengthy tour somewhere.

This we can agree on. I am a firm believer of having some easy days. 

• Like 1