Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

My husband used to call it the law of diminishing appetite….The longer the cruise the less we seemed to eat daily. After our longest cruise on our flight home my husband and son were discussing what food they had missed/were looking forward to as they returned home…Home made veggie soup won!

Lol. Our fist meal home is always homemade veggie soup!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Turkey Club Sandwich - Slow roasted Turkey, herded Focaccia, Fontina Cheese, charred Broccoli Rabe, and calabrian pepper ailoli   

I'd have to see about getting the broccoli rabe changed to some real lettuce.  I am not a fan of broccoli rarb, especially on sandwiches.   

What would make that sandwich fantastic, after getting rid of the rabe, would be to add a fried egg, bacon, and a nice slice or two of tomato.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The last few cruises with my sister, on the way home I would suggest…Sloppy Joe - in our family that was what we called hamburger barbecue.  Somehow, that’s what I had a taste for after cruising.  EM

Steamed rice and sausage gravy and biscuits. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

How different was Cunard.   I hear some gripes but we enjoy dressing for dinner so should not be a big issue for us.   It is very close to the price of flying Business Class -   I booked it on a Christmas Sale for $8,000 in Queens Grill.      I am guessing the room is in-between a Sky Suite and a Celebrity. 

I think the dressing for dinner was the biggest difference. The shows were good and I thought the activities, mostly lectures, were better than Celebrity. We found the open balcony to be unusable because of the ship’s speed and the cold North Atlantic.

Thebeverage packages were not a good value for us so we paid as we went.

We booked two future cruises on board but both were cancelled during the pandemic. We never got back to Cunard. We opted for much simpler cruises due my husband’s health once cruising restarted.

20 hours ago, billc23 said:

I'm a new Zenith member and prior to Covid was elite with around 500 points. Since the post covid restart we spent around $380,000 with Celebrity staying in upper suites - usually PH at 18 points per night. We will end up with 3726 points when we complete our current B4B on the Solstice. So, if you are starting with zero points, then $190,000 per person would bring one to Zenith status by staying in upper suites. Staying in other cabin would take more days and I am not sure if the cost would be more or less.

We enjoyed our Zenith celebration on this cruise but achieving the status was nothing we sought out and it will not make a material difference in our bookings. We are willing to pay the price asked for our travels and expect an excellent experience. Celebrity has disappointed us with small nickel and dime changes prompting us to try other cruise lines and we were pleasantly surprised. Our future bookings are all on other lines for the remainder of 2024 until Spring of 2026 - we will need to add in our free cruise for achieving Zenith. If these sailings were on Celebrity we would be well into double Zenith. I need to thank Celebrity for small irritations - like up charging $2.40 for a glass of wine - that caused me to look elsewhere and realize there are many great options for cruising. I was so comfortable booking Celebrity that I never would have considered trying other cruise line and I thank them for giving me a nudge.

You have earned my respect for having a wise and open mind👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzzzinma said:

I think the dressing for dinner was the biggest difference. The shows were good and I thought the activities, mostly lectures, were better than Celebrity. We found the open balcony to be unusable because of the ship’s speed and the cold North Atlantic.

We booked two future cruises on board but both were cancelled during the pandemic. We never got back to Cunard. We opted for much simpler cruises due my husband’s health once cruising restarted.

my husb found a great deal on an atrium( inside) balcony...We loved it!

light and bright and  private!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Aloha kakahiaka mai Honolulu mai

IMG_4446.thumb.jpeg.691ae8b5ef9340463cba2f416cb0d736.jpeg

stunning!  have a great time.

We loved this port ... so much to do and the Aloha Spirit !  What have you planned?

• Like 1

Definitely not the best view of Honolulu but awoke to a beautiful morning.  There is something magical about Hawaii.  I'm not sure whether it is the ever present fragrance of the flowers, the mild temperatures, the trade winds.

Honolulu also brings back so many memories -   Good, Bad, Happy, Sad that it makes me emotional with feelings.   I met my first boyfriend here in Waikiki when on vacation with my 3 year old son.  It was a tumultuous relationship and was never meant to be.   I use to commute back and forth every couple weeks.   As all good things (in this case bad) must come to an end I spent 4-5 hours sitting on the edge of the War Memorial Natatorium in tears (both the most beautiful and ugly spot in Waikiki) I finally had the strength to go home and drop the bomb that I was leaving forever.    I was on a flight back to the Mainland within hour.   I had tried numerous times but failed.   I'm sure some that have been in a abusive relationship can understand.

The War Memorial Natatorium was a memorial to Hawaii participation in WWI as a swimming area with bleachers.   It was permanently closed in 1979 and is now slowly be reclaimed by nature.   I've never been back and I may just drop by and say mahalo a aloha!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Glen took the broccoli out.  Lately, he's just been having appetizer and main, and me just appetizer and dessert.  There only so many 3 course meals you can eat.

Technically not broccoli  --- it is broccoli rabbe ---    Similar but in my opinion sweeter and much more tender

image.thumb.png.91d429c97ae1cf462c098d94b042a349.png

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Definitely not the best view of Honolulu but awoke to a beautiful morning.  There is something magical about Hawaii.  I'm not sure whether it is the ever present fragrance of the flowers, the mild temperatures, the trade winds.

Honolulu also brings back so many memories -   Good, Bad, Happy, Sad that it makes me emotional with feelings.   I met my first boyfriend here in Waikiki when on vacation with my 3 year old son.  It was a tumultuous relationship and was never meant to be.   I use to commute back and forth every couple weeks.   As all good things (in this case bad) must come to an end I spent 4-5 hours sitting on the edge of the War Memorial Natatorium in tears (both the most beautiful and ugly spot in Waikiki) I finally had the strength to go home and drop the bomb that I was leaving forever.    I was on a flight back to the Mainland within hour.   I had tried numerous times but failed.   I'm sure some that have been in a abusive relationship can understand.

The War Memorial Natatorium was a memorial to Hawaii participation in WWI as a swimming area with bleachers.   It was permanently closed in 1979 and is now slowly be reclaimed by nature.   I've never been back and I may just drop by and say mahalo a aloha!

Mahalo for sharing your life with us and for your time & energy given to allow us to follow along with you on this cruise!!! Say aloha to Kaimana Beach and the Natatorium for me where I too shed many tears from an abusive relationship. A Hui Hou Kakou! Until we meet again...

-Kelley

3 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Thanks --- We were wondering about the package.   We were able to add on a Drink, Internet, Tip package for $500 which we thought was good

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

LocoMoco or Chicken Katsu Musubi for us!

I agree with you on LocoMoco but don't forget:

Portuguese sausage, eggs, and rice for breakfast (go big and add spam as well)

Korean Plate lunch  -  Soon's is one of our favorites

Zippy's chili with rice or with spaghetti noodles 

Fried rice omelet

Huli huli chicken 

Ahi, taco, and or salmon poke 

So much good local food.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Fried rice omelet

Huli huli chicken 

So much good local food.  

Our friends who are on Solstice are flying over to Maui for the day. We're taking them to Lahaina for lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate which just reopened after being closed over 8 months after the horrible fires. I will definitely be grinding on their Ahi Poke!

-Kelley

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

stunning!  have a great time.

We loved this port ... so much to do and the Aloha Spirit !  What have you planned?

I'm up early --- I have to take a bone density pill once a week and can't eat or drink except an 8 ounce of water for 1 hour.    I'M staring at the coffee maker and checking my watch every t minutes.

Even though we are in a busy area at the piers the Aloha spirit is everywhere.   I have the door open and it is perfect with early morning sowers and 72F -     the trade winds are so nice.

They were not suppose to start immigration until 8:30 but I heard them call group 1 & 2 right at 8:00 which was the original time.    We are in no rush and will go down after Iain get's up and have breakfast.    I guess we can show up anytime until 11:00.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Fried rice omelet

Huli huli chicken 

So much good local food.  

We haven't been back since our last TP in 2012.   Yikes --can't believe it has been a decade.   The biggest disappointment and probably gotten worse is all the small mom and pop restaurants we once frequented have been bulldozed and replaced with Rodeo Drive type shops and expensive restaurants. 

I'm sure we will find all of the local foods in Downtown Honolulu and the Ala Moana Mall area.

I have to admit I was never a fan of SPAM. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Maui4us said:

Our friends who are on Solstice are flying over to Maui for the day. We're taking them to Lahaina for lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate which just reopened after being closed over 8 months after the horrible fires. I will definitely be grinding on their Ahi Poke!

-Kelley

I cried when I read about and saw pictures of the devastation that Lahaina suffered from the fires.  We stayed there on an interisland vacation while living on Oahu. Such a beautiful area.  

Those plate lunches we enjoyed on our vacation in Waikiki this past November really surprised me as they were a lot more food than I remembered.  Ended up visiting L&L twice and both times made two meals from the mixed plate.  Love that chicken and kalbi/bulgogi but the mac salad and two scoops of rice were so delicious. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure we will find all of the local foods in Downtown Honolulu and the Ala Moana Mall area.

Jim,  I forget the name but  there is a good plate lunch place in the food court at Ala Monana Center (Mall).  Fair warning, based on your eating habits, I would recommend you only buy one as it will be enough for you and Iian to share. 

There are a lot of good places to eat in that food court.  There is also a Foodland grocery store on the lower level in a far corner where we got some delicious poke.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

-Kelley

Kelly -  that sounds like so much fun.    With an overnight they will have plenty of time. 

Are there any good restaurant's re-opened in Lehina area?    Our news forecaster at KPIX San Francisco gave us the name of one place (he's Hawaiian) and pushing for people to help support the area.      We have some friends on the cruise that are leaving tomorrow and will be staying a month down near Kehei

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I cried when I read about and saw pictures of the devastation that Lahaina suffered from the fires.  We stayed there on an interisland vacation while living on Oahu. Such a beautiful area.  

Those plate lunches we enjoyed on our vacation in Waikiki this past November really surprised me as they were a lot more food than I remembered.  Ended up visiting L&L twice and both times made two meals from the mixed plate.  Love that chicken and kalbi/bulgogi but the mac salad and two scoops of rice were so delicious. 

I am so glad you got to see Lahaina and have fond memories. Maui is very open to Malihini (visitors) and only ask for respect, patience and reverence when here. Many residents are still very much in mourning and suffering. I was raised on Oahu and am a Kailua High '78 grad.

-Kelley

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to admit I was never a fan of SPAM. 

Don't say that out loud in Hawaii.  They may sacrifice you to the Aumakua. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Kelly -  that sounds like so much fun.    With an overnight they will have plenty of time. 

Are there any good restaurant's re-opened in Lehina area?    Our news forecaster at KPIX San Francisco gave us the name of one place (he's Hawaiian) and pushing for people to help support the area.      We have some friends on the cruise that are leaving tomorrow and will be staying a month down near Kehei

Yes, Mala Tavern & Aloha Mixed Plate have reopened as well as Old Lahaina Luau. When in Kihei, Da Kitchen is da place to get Hawaiian Kaukau. Tin Roof in Kahului near OGG airport is another good bet for local grinds!

-Kelley

Edited by Maui4us
spelling
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

Mahalo for sharing your life with us and for your time & energy given to allow us to follow along with you on this cruise!!! Say aloha to Kaimana Beach and the Natatorium for me where I too shed many tears from an abusive relationship. A Hui Hou Kakou! Until we meet again...

-Kelley

I'm sitting here chuckling -  wondering if I have ever been on Kaimana Beach.   As you might have guessed we spent most of our beach time at Queen Surf.     I know I've been on the grounds and the edge as that is where I use to sit to watch the sunset.

I'm sitting here chuckling to myself.    When I spoke to my daughter she reminded me about Queen Surf Beach.   She was about 15-16 at the time and strutting her stuff at the beach - she looked at me and said.... Dad is this a Gay Beach??     All the guys are looking at you and not me.     I laughed and said of course i don't want all those old lecherous men googling at you on Waikiki beach.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 19

2 minutes ago, Maui4us said:

I was raised on Oahu and am a Kailua High '78 grad.

My first visit was in May-August 1960, I was 10 years old and had lost my father the previous November.  My mom and I went and spent the summer with my youngest sister and her husband, who was stationed at Kaneohe. That was back when they were trucking loads of sand from windward beaches to Waikiki over the old Pali Highway. 

• Like 2