Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

It looks like our ships will "pass in the night" or day 😊.  I'll be on the Sapphire Princess 32 day RT LA cruise sailing April 5th and we visit many of the same ports.  We'll be in Apia and Pago Pago on April 19th and Suva on the 22nd.  The whole thing of being in two different ports on the same day (same as you crossing the date line in between) is kind of mind boggling.  My mind has a lot of difficulty accepting that I have to book excursions on the same day for two different ports!

This cruise was the south pacific on training wheels for me... no long flights... just have to get to Los Angeles...and let the ship do the rest!   I really wish Celebrity would do something like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Bernadette -

Thanks for bringing up the Itinerary.   Here's the Official Itinerary.   After the terrible fire in Maui last year they dropped Lahina and we now have 2 nights in Honolulu

image.png.a8e164c25e301c6e3a5c51b6d47974ff.png

image.png.cbd96ac8001395c0f97e9964d060a471.png

Another @Jim_Iain live thread! How exciting! This is such an interesting itinerary. Have a wonderful cruise. Looking forward to following along from NYC!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll just say he and Michelle Rocca lived a different life style than us.   

They were known to be a very contentious couple…..happily divorced now. Yes, Ballsbridge is a lovely part of south Dublin. My son and his wife rented an apartment there when they were 1st married so we know the area very well. 

When you in Kona, since you are overnight, you might want to travel to the top of Mona Kea.   It is the tallest mountain on the earth and there are a bunch of observatories up there.   You can drive or take a tour to the top, unforgettable views especially at sunset.   We went with a guide and were allowed into an observatory.    

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Everyone is different which is why its nice to have different ships and options.

lol I'm 42 and you should hear me at work, I had one person that when I was talking about browsers (this was 5 years ago) didn't even know what Internet explorer was 🙃

Then when the organizer for the sales meeting for Blue Monday wanted music suggestions, I said play Blue Monday by New Order didn't know what I was talking about 😬  I ended up explaining it by 'its the song from the Wonder Woman trailer'

Now I just shut up as I don't listen to the music etc they listen to (rap and hip hop).

Love it....   My first browser was Netscape 1.0     It came with a book explaining what a browser was.   Only problem at 1.44 MBPS it tool about 5 minutes for a webpage to to open.   Known as click on a link and grab a cup of coffee.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bullswood said:

Great video - love the mapping (though assume the error was that Suva seems to have drifted away from Fiji).

Yea... I didn't realize that until I had posted on our roll call and @abbydancer2003 saw it immediately.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, haynesra said:

Wow just on this morning and in 6 hrs your report already at 3 pages! We are arriving in HNL on April 28th and leave on Edge to Vancouver on May 1st. Like the Solstice a lot, but could not make the dates for its voyage to Vancouver.

Edge will be in Sydney the day we arrive.   They are behind Solstice by about 10 days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billc23 said:

Hi Jim, I just love reading and seeing your live posts! I am on the Solstice now and all is great. The food quality is the best since post covid that I have experienced on Celebrity - better than the Ascent was in January. There is a nice variety of entertainment, including various daily lectures, to keep those sea days full of things to do. I'm sure you will really have a great time and I am looking forward to reading your VLOG.

Thanks ..... I have been reading @abbydancer2003 live post as she is on the same ship as you.    I'm really anxious to get aboard.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Yes, 13-night Best of Japan on Millennium -- we fly over on 4/28 (arrive 4/29), sail 5/2 - 5/15, and fly home 5/18. 

It should be a perfect time of year.   I suspect it will be a bit late for the cherry blossoms. 

19 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Wow, only 8 hours in and I'm on page 3 !!😄

Jim,  have a wonderful time. I really enjoy following your adventures. This trip is on my bucket list, but the flight time from CT to Sydney makes me take pause ----- alright, maybe not the time but the fact that its Business Class or bust for the DW.... Oh, the $$$.......

I hope the S-class rekindles your Celebrity spark !!

mac_tlc

I use to do it all the time in my younger years and wasn't really bad.  As I grow older my body doesn't handle jet lag as well.   Having said that last November flight to Singapore we really didn't suffer jet lag at all.

I find the hardest is wrapping your head around it before you board but once on board - Eat -Sleep - watch some TV and Movies - Eat -- Sleep and Bam.... You're there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks Jim, would appreciate your review of the gopro & housing. We are going to the Galapagos on Celebrity next June & we're  thinking of buying it also. I'm an old lifeguard & been on a swim team so am a strong swimmer but no one can out swim a rip current. Try to swim parallell to the shore, don't fight it & it usually doesn't last for long. Happened to us in Cancun many years ago. Remember fins will help you get back to shore. Because most people start panicking, get on your back after it's over & just kick back to shore. Better than trying to breathe through a snorkel at that point. Kick using your hips & not your knees. I grew up on Long Island NY- a few miles from the ocean & we used to go everyday in summer 

I think I was a duck when a kid and have been a strong swimmer my whole live.  I use to swim laps at an Olympic Size  Swimming in Santa Clara alongside Mark Spitz -  What a swimmer --- I of course was many laps behind him.  

We really don't swim in the Ocean in Norther California due to the sea temperatures here --- Normally about 55-56F.    Really need a wet suite to surf or swim.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Love it....   My first browser was Netscape 1.0     It came with a book explaining what a browser was.   Only problem at 1.44 MBPS it tool about 5 minutes for a webpage to to open.   Known as click on a link and grab a cup of coffee.

Surely you mean your first graphical browser.  I am sure you, like me, used Lynx before a graphical browser became available!   🤣

19 hours ago, juanrod said:

Finally the next adventure of @Jim_Iain, u should write books on your adventures with tips and tricks.   We are counting down for our hnl-van on ovation of the seas and will be following your start of your trip as we countdown to ours.  Definitely looking forward to warmer weather in Honolulu after 2 days of pouring rain , high winds and 45f in socal.  🥳

Thanks for the compliments.    I don't think I have the organizational skill to write a book.   My style which you will notice is scattered and rambling.  

We've had some cold weather up north but suppose to be in the 70's and clear until we leave.   It's really nice for walking.   You have really had a wet winter --- El Nino Year for sure!

19 hours ago, Minorhawk said:

We are looking at Sydney to Honolulu in April of 26. Your itinerary is a little more exotic,  but still looking forward to "traveling" along with you. 

Should be fun in Kona and Hilo.... but then LOTS of SEA DAYS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It should be a perfect time of year.   I suspect it will be a bit late for the cherry blossoms. 

I have enjoyed many a beer / glass of sake sitting under the cherry blossoms in Japan.  Right now I am just excited to go back after 30 years.  Looking forward to the food, people, and culture. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Looking forward to following along on another adventure with you and Iain.  I'll be on the Reflection part of the time, but hope to be able to keep up.  Bon Voyage!

Have a nice cruise, Linda.     I hope you have healed after your recent surgeries.

18 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Looking forward to follow you on this trip Jim!

I look forward to see if things have changed on Solstice, since we sailed her from Honolulu to Vancouver 7 years ago. 

Best wishes for smooth sailings and for the addition of beautiful experiences to your travel book, to both you and Lain.

The only thing I have heard so far from @abbydancer2003 is they have upgraded the slots and you now can use your SeaPass to put money on the slot.   Last year when we were on her you had to get Cash Slips from the Cashier.     She is suggesting that after a $ limit you are locked out until you play 50%.   

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!  I always learn so much from you and love all your pictures!  Safe travels to you and Iain!  

How can we join your private Facebook group?  
Bonnie

Just go to FB and search for @travel with Jim_Iain    Just click join.   

It is totally a private page and I'm not selling or advertising anything..... Just a repository of my YouTube posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nps001 said:

Always love reading your blogs, but this one will be of particular interest.   We are doing a similar itinerary on Edge (B2B2B) from HNL this coming October.    We have yet to make plans for any of the port stops so I'm sure reading your blog will give me many great ideas.

I really think that Celebrity should put more cruises with 3+ unique destinations as oppose to doing B2B to the same locations.     Especially for those with vacation time you can really create partial "World Cruises"

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We have family on the ship now , and are staying all the way to Vancouver 

They have had no complaints so far 😁

So it should be a good trip 

That is really great to hear.    I guess they aren't on CC if there are no complaints....LOL. 

Maybe we should talk about Dress Code.... OH NO!!!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Gaynors said:

It looks like our ships will "pass in the night" or day 😊.  I'll be on the Sapphire Princess 32 day RT LA cruise sailing April 5th and we visit many of the same ports.  We'll be in Apia and Pago Pago on April 19th and Suva on the 22nd.  The whole thing of being in two different ports on the same day (same as you crossing the date line in between) is kind of mind boggling.  My mind has a lot of difficulty accepting that I have to book excursions on the same day for two different ports!

This cruise was the south pacific on training wheels for me... no long flights... just have to get to Los Angeles...and let the ship do the rest!   I really wish Celebrity would do something like this.

HAL has a wonderful 51 day Hawaii/South Pacific round trip San Diego.  We took it in 2019.

They also have a 35 day roundtrip San Diego.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1