RoyalUp notice question

Posted (edited)

Typically as @smokeybandit suggests the award notifications are closer to the sailing date as that would be when the final adjusted bids would be completed for the available stateroom categories and the highest bids would be available for selection.  Awarding the upgrades too early may eliminate the opportunity for the highest bids to be submitted.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Our earliest was about 40 days out, a midrange bid on a GS from a JS for a 9 night New England cruise on Anthem OTS, in 2019.  Wasn’t that the early days of RU?  Anyway, the only one we have won since then was much closer to the sailing date.  We are doing a TA next month, and only a handful have won from inside cabins to OV, just before 30 days out. I figure those were to free up the least expensive cabins.  No one else has mentioned a win. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

What is the furthest date from sailing that you've been notified that you won a bid?

Each RU bid is individual and chances of winning depends on the ship, sailing, inventory, bid amount and some other factors - what happened to anyone else has virtually no bearing on your chances and timing.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 3

I just won my bid 60 days before we sail at the end of May. The cruise is almost sold out and I think they wanted my Oceanview balcony cabin since it might be easier to sell than the Junior Suite I was upgraded to. Most of the inventory available to book are Junior Suites, everything else is waitlisted. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the info., we sale on the Navigator on May 10. We still haven't heard anything, I was just curious as to the soonest we'd hear. Was hoping we got the grand suite, lol! 

15 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Thanks for all of the info., we sale on the Navigator on May 10. We still haven't heard anything, I was just curious as to the soonest we'd hear. Was hoping we got the grand suite, lol! 

You're more likely to find out 2 weeks or less before the cruise.

• Like 1

Several people got upgraded at the 60 day mark within a day of Royal up opening on our upcoming icon cruise. It seems they were all infinite balcony which seem to be selling slow.

I bid on an infinite family balcony and haven't heard back yet. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We have about a 50% RoyalUp success rate, with 3 "wins".  All of those notifications were 25 - 40 days out from the cruise.  

Edited by wdwkings
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically as @smokeybandit suggests the award notifications are closer to the sailing date as that would be when the final adjusted bids would be completed for the available stateroom categories and the highest bids would be available for selection.  Awarding the upgrades too early may eliminate the opportunity for the highest bids to be submitted.

And yet, we have won a half dozen RU bids with the minimum bid available, and some of those within 6-7 days from the sailing, and others 30-45 days out. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And yet, we have won a half dozen RU bids with the minimum bid available, and some of those within 6-7 days from the sailing, and others 30-45 days out. 

...and maybe at the end of the day your minimum bid was the highest (and maybe first in with a tie).  Who knows with their algorithms.  But I was always told it was highest bid, but likely only the man behind the curtain knows for sure....

• Haha 1

I think your chances of winning a RU bid have as much to do with the cabin that you would be vacating as it does with your bid for the upgrade.  If someone wants your "old" cabin and there is already a bid on it, this could negate an even higher bid for the upgraded room if nobody wants your "old" room.  It's the TOTAL money that they will result from the upgrade cascade that really matters...not just the value of individual bids.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and maybe at the end of the day your minimum bid was the highest (and maybe first in with a tie).  Who knows with their algorithms.  But I was always told it was highest bid, but likely only the man behind the curtain knows for sure....

Much more likely that the cabin we were vacating was oversold or in high demand and they were getting more $$ for filling our vacated cabin than the incremental $$ my bid would bring in. At the end of the day, i really don’t care how their algorithm works. We only bid the minimum, and we win more than we don’t. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

On my third sailing submitting a RU, my bid from a JS to a GS was accepted 4 days prior to sailing and at the lowest bid amount.  I was thrilled. And now I'm spoiled for suites.  There is definitely a method to this process 🙂

And to add to the fun, a person in a FB group for my sailing RU'd to my original JS cabin. 

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1

I'm currently in a balcony on the hump, deck 10. I bid for JS and for 1 br suite. Should I cancel the JS to better my odds for the 1 br suite? Or keep both?

5 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

I'm currently in a balcony on the hump, deck 10. I bid for JS and for 1 br suite. Should I cancel the JS to better my odds for the 1 br suite? Or keep both?

I'd keep both.  I had three different cabin bids going simultaneously. I don't think the number of bids impacts the acceptance....

Teddie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

I wouldn’t, unless you don’t want the JS.  When we won our GS, we had bids in for 3 types of suites.  We figure it gives us more opportunities. 

• Like 2

We put in a minimum bid on Wonder to move up from the JS we booked to a GS. Sailing is April 21 and put the bid in on Feb 21 and no word as of today (4/2). Bid status still shows “Submitted”. Continuing to cross our fingers. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RumRunner01 said:

We put in a minimum bid on Wonder to move up from the JS we booked to a GS. Sailing is April 21 and put the bid in on Feb 21 and no word as of today (4/2). Bid status still shows “Submitted”. Continuing to cross our fingers. 

Probably because the suites on that sailing have been showing sold-out for weeks....someone would have to cancel for a suite to open and then depends how many other bids are in for suites....chances are slim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1