Change for the butter

7 hours ago, Womble99 said:

Wonder what they use on the popcorn?

Coconut/Palm oil with artificial butter flavor. I never buy popcorn with that garbage on it.

On the Discovery now and the three balls of puff in what used to be the butter dish is tasteless and doesn't even scoop onto your knife well. About half slides to the side and remains in the dish. I absolutely agree with the poster who said it has curbed their appetite for the dinner rolls. At least I'll save some calories.

We were on the Discovery a couple of weeks ago and they were serving the whipped dabs in the MDR.  I do have to say that thankfully, there was no taste of margarine there.  I will not eat margarine.

I suspect that the butter that they use is whipped up to include a lot of air (cost saving) thus resulting in the artificial texture.     As far as salt is concerned, I was introduced to unsalted butter as a young teenager when my family stayed at a nice resort and have used unsalted butter ever since.  I did some research on salted vs.  unsalted butter and, according to Consumer Reports and other eaters the highest rated butters are unsalted and serious chefs and bakers prefer it because they don’t want additional salt to alter the taste of their creations.

If other people prefer salted butter, that’s fine.  I just appreciate that unsalted butter offered.  I would never eat margarine, but understand that for some folks with cholesterol issues it may be a necessity.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

It always looks like some oil based thing to me

I recently bought a stove top popcorn pan, and the website sells lots of different types of corn and toppings. The butter flavored topping they sell consists of a mix of corn oil, palm fruit oil, butter flavoring and salt. But it's mostly the corn oil and palm oil. I think this is the type theaters use. 

Lorie              

13 hours ago, Womble99 said:

Wonder what they use on the popcorn?

I prefer not to know. 😉

4 hours ago, mevs904 said:

I would never eat margarine, but understand that for some folks with cholesterol issues it may be a necessity.

Margine is worse for cholesterol because it has trans fats though.

I was on the discovery princess 5 days ago. I got both types of butter. I didn't think much of it bc I don't eat bread 

We are so privileged that we can debate about of butter preferences. God bless America 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We were on the Discovery a couple of weeks ago and they were serving the whipped dabs in the MDR.  I do have to say that thankfully, there was no taste of margarine there.  I will not eat margarine.

I suspect that the butter that they use is whipped up to include a lot of air (cost saving) thus resulting in the artificial texture.     As far as salt is concerned, I was introduced to unsalted butter as a young teenager when my family stayed at a nice resort and have used unsalted butter ever since.  I did some research on salted vs.  unsalted butter and, according to Consumer Reports and other eaters the highest rated butters are unsalted and serious chefs and bakers prefer it because they don’t want additional salt to alter the taste of their creations.

If other people prefer salted butter, that’s fine.  I just appreciate that unsalted butter offered.  I would never eat margarine, but understand that for some folks with cholesterol issues it may be a necessity.

Possibly cost saving but also maybe because it softens faster once taken out of cool storage.

Salted butter is lovely as a spread but not for cooking. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travellingnana said:

@beg3yrs also on the Discovery now. Just ask the waiters to bring you pats of butter instead, and they will do it. 

We are currently on the Sapphire.  They have the yellow blocks of butter in the buffet but we have asked 3 different times in the dining room for real butter to replace the “puffs” and been told that is all they have.  My husband is trying to devise a plan to bring his own from the buffet.  Just kidding!!

I try to give myself small dietary goals while cruising and avoid the rolls at dinner. Made it 28 days last cruise and hoping I can hang in there for this current 32-day!

I agree this is a first world problem and just another Princess consistent inconsistency!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, travellingnana said:

@beg3yrs also on the Discovery now. Just ask the waiters to bring you pats of butter instead, and they will do it. 

Yep, they did. Our regular waiter insisted the puffs were real butter and I insisted they were tasteless (crap - but I didn't say that). The assistant restaurant manager for our area brought some real butter pats.

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Yep, they did. Our regular waiter insisted the puffs were real butter and I insisted they were tasteless (crap - but I didn't say that). The assistant restaurant manager for our area brought some real butter pats.

Lucky you! 🤣

4 hours ago, MustangGT said:

We are currently on the Sapphire.  They have the yellow blocks of butter in the buffet but we have asked 3 different times in the dining room for real butter to replace the “puffs” and been told that is all they have.  My husband is trying to devise a plan to bring his own from the buffet.  Just kidding!!

I try to give myself small dietary goals while cruising and avoid the rolls at dinner. Made it 28 days last cruise and hoping I can hang in there for this current 32-day!

I agree this is a first world problem and just another Princess consistent inconsistency!

My dietary goal is to keep my ankles from swelling so the unsalted butter really helps. There is so much salt in some dishes that I have to watch out

4 hours ago, MustangGT said:

My husband is trying to devise a plan to bring his own from the buffet.  Just kidding!!

That's exactly what I did on our last cruise. Each night I would carry a small dish from the buffet to our table. 

6 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Unfortunately, I have to have margarine due to a dairy allergy, so would you please tell me what color the tasteless crap was? 😂

40 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Unfortunately, I have to have margarine due to a dairy allergy, so would you please tell me what color the tasteless crap was? 😂

It was pale white.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, ArizonaStorm said:

Lock it and burn it!  Get a life!

No no......now we can move on to the quality of the toilet paper!

I hear many people pack their own Charmin 🧻

1 hour ago, lahlah57 said:

It's probably a secret perk for Elite cruisers.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

You could always grab a few paper towels from the buffet area.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

The toilet paper is too shiny.😛

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

The toilet paper is too shiny.😛

Exactly.  Princess needs to take in consideration the 70% of the world population that do not use toilet paper and offer bathrooms with built in bidets too.

Since this topic has shifted, let me provide some information for your consideration.

As you know, Princess Cruises is very keen on re-cycling and protecting the environment.

So, a few years ago the Bean Counters at Princess Hq got wind of a new start up company in California.  So, they sent a team down to the new plant to evaluate their product and the potential application fleet wide.  The team also did a cost analysis on the new product versus existing similar products.  Then they place a order to cover the entire Princess Fleet.

That company's product was taking used sandpaper and turning it into rolls of toilet paper.

If you have any doubt, when in your cabin and you have a spare moment, go into the bathroom and take a sheet of the paper off the roll and rub it between you finger and thumb. 😇

Bob 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4x4bob said:

Since this topic has shifted, let me provide some information for your consideration.

As you know, Princess Cruises is very keen on re-cycling and protecting the environment.

So, a few years ago the Bean Counters at Princess Hq got wind of a new start up company in California.  So, they sent a team down to the new plant to evaluate their product and the potential application fleet wide.  The team also did a cost analysis on the new product versus existing similar products.  Then they place a order to cover the entire Princess Fleet.

That company's product was taking used sandpaper and turning it into rolls of toilet paper.

If you have any doubt, when in your cabin and you have a spare moment, go into the bathroom and take a sheet of the paper off the roll and rub it between you finger and thumb. 😇

Bob 

Wow.  Suddenly my old career doesn't look so bad in comparison.

On 4/1/2024 at 6:04 PM, Thrak said:

Burning Question: How much should I tip if I ask for salted butter??? 🙄

I think $5.00 should take care of it 🧈😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 1