Bothersome, but Easily Resolved Problem on Princess Ships

gators70

I have a nit to pick, even though it's resolved. Hopefully others will be prepared. On our last two Princess cruises (Enchanted and Ruby) the ceiling light outside of the bathroom is motion sensitive and if you have to get up in the middle of the night, it blinds you. There is no switch to turn it off. On the Enchanted we told our steward about it and he admitted that we weren't the first to have a problem with the light. He came in and put a piece of masking tape over the sensor, which is a 1/2" round thing beside the bulb. Problem solved. We were prepared for this on the Ruby.

Of course this means that the light never comes on and you may want it on to illuminate the closet. We found the bathroom light sufficient to see into the closet.

Also, there are floor lights beside the bed that are auto-sensing as well, but not so blinding. On the Enchanted we found them going on and off all night (maybe there was a mouse running around...just kidding, probably the covers on the sides of the bed). Being a light sleeper made this annoying. Masking tape to the rescue!

I only suggest that if you do this, be kind enough to remove it before disembarking.

If this has been posted before, I apologize.
  • Like 2

This has come up numerous times.  We actually like the motion lights and only had an issue once with our bathroom door swinging when the ocean was rolling.  Closed the door and problem solved.  Perhaps if they had lights that could be switched off and had different brightness levels, that would appease all.

30 minutes ago, gators70 said:
I have a nit to pick, even though it's resolved. Hopefully others will be prepared. On our last two Princess cruises (Enchanted and Ruby) the ceiling light outside of the bathroom is motion sensitive and if you have to get up in the middle of the night, it blinds you. There is no switch to turn it off. On the Enchanted we told our steward about it and he admitted that we weren't the first to have a problem with the light. He came in and put a piece of masking tape over the sensor, which is a 1/2" round thing beside the bulb. Problem solved. We were prepared for this on the Ruby.

Of course this means that the light never comes on and you may want it on to illuminate the closet. We found the bathroom light sufficient to see into the closet.

Also, there are floor lights beside the bed that are auto-sensing as well, but not so blinding. On the Enchanted we found them going on and off all night (maybe there was a mouse running around...just kidding, probably the covers on the sides of the bed). Being a light sleeper made this annoying. Masking tape to the rescue!

I only suggest that if you do this, be kind enough to remove it before disembarking.

We just put extra pillows over the sensor no big deal

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gators70 said:

Take a look around this forum.  This has been discussed numerous times and just the other day.  Everyone knows to take masking tape if it’s an issue.  Many people don’t care.

We were on the Enchanted In January, cabin A703. Put tape on the light sensor and the light still came on. Put several layers of tape over the sensor, it still came on, but not as often. Talked to the cabin steward about the problem so he folded up a laundry bag and taped it over the entire light fixture. The light would still randomly come on in the middle of the night while we were in bed. Don't know why ????

1 hour ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

We were on the Enchanted In January, cabin A703. Put tape on the light sensor and the light still came on. Put several layers of tape over the sensor, it still came on, but not as often. Talked to the cabin steward about the problem so he folded up a laundry bag and taped it over the entire light fixture. The light would still randomly come on in the middle of the night while we were in bed. Don't know why ????

I think I saw that some ships have a second sensor under the bath vanity.  Maybe that is why. 

1 minute ago, beach_fever_4ever said:

Maybe, but we are in bed when the light comes on. Must be that mouse somebody mentioned in a previous post 😁

I find that my CPAP house can fall over the sensor and set it off. Now I put an extra pillow over it. Problem solved

3 hours ago, gators70 said:

No worries! Sometimes it’s helpful for a topic to come up again in the feed for newer readers or as a reminder for those preparing for a trip. I knew about this, but hadn’t remembered to add a bit of painters tape to the packing list.

• Like 2

I get that many people don't like these motion activated night lights. Of course they are a safety and loss control item.   But being blinded Im not sure I get.  If there is no night light, would not the bathroom light blind you too.       

We always put blue painters tape over ours, but if it's driving you crazy and you find yourself without any tape, someone mentioned that their steward took a little wad of tissue paper and dampened it with water, then stuck it over the sensor.  

1 hour ago, antsp said:

Whilst on the Sky recently they were chaging the lights to slightly less bright fittings

Yes they did ours as well on our Sky last month. I had the sensor taped over but after the change that was not needed. A big improvement, thank you Princess.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I get that many people don't like these motion activated night lights. Of course they are a safety and loss control item.   But being blinded Im not sure I get.  If there is no night light, would not the bathroom light blind you too.       

I have a little nightlight that I plug into the bathroom outlet.  Gives off enough light to be safe without being blinded.

• Like 2