Why I Will Never Book With Windstar Again - Tahiti

Our July 25 Dreams of Tahiti cruise was just cancelled.  The cruise fare that we received was terrific.  I was also able to get business award seats from NY ($6k each if I paid) as well as a great rate at the Hilton on Moorea post cruise due to a prior visit there.  There are no award seats available for at least until 2025 so I am really screwed.  No reason for the cancellation given but they also cancelled the prior cruise as well.  Airline, hotels, cars all reserved and now no cruise.  There is a Paul Gauguin potential option but that cruise is about $11k for 2 vs the $5500 for 2 on the Windstar.

Totally aggravated.  NEVER again.

That is really a shame, I have never heard of WS canceling a cruise so close to date of a sailing. I am curious if it is some  issue with the ship or a large group charter, which in that case is wrong due to timing. Being a WS fan, seriously I do not blame you if it was a charter to be angry and a never again. Try to find out what the

reason is. Might settle things for you. Good Luck

I just got the same email for this cruise. I had also paid (non-cancellable) hotel pre cruise and the 25% future credit they offer on the airfare I’ve already paid in no way compensates for the expense I am out. 
I am really upset with Windstar to cancel this close to the cruise date! 

This was to be our first ever cruise. Joint big birthday year for us both. Thought "go big or go home"...ugh. 

We still haven't actually gotten the cancellation email from WindStar but went through an agent (cause newbies wanted help for this first time adventure) who let us know this afternoon it was cancelled. FWIW-She said she was told the ship is being taken out of commission.

July 18 and July 25 are showing as 'call for availability' on the website.  But all the dates before and after seem bookable.  Sounds more like a charter than 'out of commission' [which sounds like a seaworthiness or financial issue].

Judging by the sweetened offer on the dates all around yours (throwing in the All-in package for free), I'm guessing sales are slow.  Two fully paid charters vs losing money on two cruises, with the probability that many of the affected passengers will shift onto the neighboring dates so no loss to Windstar?  I know it doesn't feel good to get that treatment, but it does make business sense.  And Windstar certainly is not alone in doing this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Judging by the sweetened offer on the dates all around yours (throwing in the All-in package for free), I'm guessing sales are slow.  Two fully paid charters vs losing money on two cruises, with the probability that many of the affected passengers will shift onto the neighboring dates so no loss to Windstar?  I know it doesn't feel good to get that treatment, but it does make business sense.  And Windstar certainly is not alone in doing this.

Not sure sales are slow... my cruise for April 2025 almost completely full, my cruise this past January usually on the slowest weeks almost full. Given complications with airfares, families, hotels, applying for vacation time etc I do think if it was a charter this close to the date that really is not right. Perhaps some can jump to other time but really it is such an inconvenience.Plus if you measure good will and referrals. For example we probably have referred friends and family, friends and friends of friends over 150 people over the years, do you think that passenger will do the same. Revenue is more than a passenger. Too bad WS does not give the reason. Happened to my sister last summer Alaska and it was mechanical issue, huge difference. 

• Like 1

Here's another recent thread discussing charters:

All cruise lines charter and yes, it's a huge pain.  You can't blame a business for wanting to make money. This does not make them "greedy."

I do not understand how having award tickets prevents you from rebooking.  You are not "locked in" with any airline I know anything about.  You can cancel and redeposit the miles and rebook.  Award availability fluctuates daily.  You are on UA, right?  If you can't find availability from EWR, try just from SFO and keep looking.  

I have had two cruises chartered and another one had a ship and itinerary change, so I feel your pain.  I did not sail WS for years because of that, and I guarantee I got no calls begging me to come back.

I have been on many cruises with them since, including two in FP and much prefer them over PG.

Sorry but I can blame a business for taking my money, allowing me to plan a vacation and then cancelling.  Of course they are greedy,  If they took this sailing "away" for a charter they only did it to enhance revenue which is greedy.  We have award tickets on United going and Air Tahiti Nui coming back.  There are no award tickets for the return until at least 2025.  Most of us, if we are not retired, have to plan vacations around work, school and family. It is not always easy to modify these plans with only a few months notice.

The thread you copied provides a year notice to change plans.  While not ideal either, at least no airfare could have yet been booked and there is more option to change.  3-4 months notice is unacceptable.  They also are requiring any rebooking to be done for a 2024 cruise.  At least for me that is impossible as my only available time off is during the summer months.

• Like 4

Windstar is a business and businesses have no feelings.

If you had booked no airfare, you'd be in the same position you are now.  You don't get charged to redeposit miles.  I see a lot of award availability to/from PPT  every month through Dec.  Nothing works?

Sorry this happened, hope you can find a trip you will enjoy.

I have had several trips cancelled because of charters. When I was traveling with teachers who could only go during the summer, guest relations was able to extend the deadline for rebooking to the following summer. Try emailing guest relations at Windstar cruises dot com.

• Like 1

IF this cruise was cancelled due to a charter at this late date, then it's unconscionable. There are going to be many people in the same situation as the OP. And I question whether it makes "good business sense" in the long run if you end up alienating a lot of customers. There should be a cut off of 9 or 10 months for chartering.

• Like 2

While Windstar is only telling me that the cruise is "not available to the public" I take that it is a charter.  It is possible it is for maintenance but I don't really see any other possibilities.  As others have indicated they have cancelled many other dates but most are into 2025.

For many a Tahiti vacation is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  We were traveling with another couple who had never been to Tahiti and were checking off the item on their bucket list.

• Like 2

Olympic surfing competition in Tahiti is scheduled for July 26th thru Aug. 11th. Athletes, coaches, officials, visitors attending the event, all need housing, arriving in the week before the event. It can probably bring a very nice nightly revenue per room. Not the first time a ship would be used for event housing. Should have been planned long ago though, but maybe the housing demand is much stronger than forecasted. Who wouldn't want to travel to Tahiti to watch the surfing event?? Just another possible explanation.

4 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

The thread you copied provides a year notice to change plans.  While not ideal either, at least no airfare could have yet been booked and there is more option to change.  3-4 months notice is unacceptable.  They also are requiring any rebooking to be done for a 2024 cruise.  At least for me that is impossible as my only available time off is during the summer months.

I am the OP for the thread you referenced.  After my TA spoke with Windstar about rebooking, I was able to get my preferred date and the OBC offered as well as the rate and perks from my original sailing dates. I really am not happy to hear they snatched away your cruise with such short notice but if you discuss this one on one with Windstar, hopefully they will accommodate a rebooking at the time frame that works for you.  Windstar really did work to make it up to me and I am now happy with the new dates, perks and fare!  

@FlightMedic555Best wishes to you and your friends for a good resolution.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If they cancelled your trip due to a charter at this late date,then Windstar has lost my allegiance and I have sailed with them many times

Edited by ssdot

I don't think Oceania does charters very often. When they do, they give plenty of notice.  I can bet that this cancellation is due to the Olympics using the ship as a luxury hotel for the 2 weeks the surfing event is going on. They have already arranged for one ship to serve as a floating hotel.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/08/cruise-ship-to-serve-as-floating-hotel-during-2024-olympics/

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

I don't think Oceania does charters very often. When they do, they give plenty of notice.  I can bet that this cancellation is due to the Olympics using the ship as a luxury hotel for the 2 weeks the surfing event is going on. They have already arranged for one ship to serve as a floating hotel.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/08/cruise-ship-to-serve-as-floating-hotel-during-2024-olympics/

I would imagine that is the WS reason, certainly not right to disappoint all those guests. Given that, as much as I adore Paris I would stay away from Paris this summer, given the Surfing Olympics are in Tahiti would stay away there too. I hope Flightmedic555 calls WS back and try to get every dime he can from this inconvenience and goes on this cruise when there is only pure beauty. Happy Sailing

On 4/4/2024 at 4:12 AM, 6rugrats said:

Windstar charters ships every single year, which disappoints and inconveniences many people. Most cruise lines do this.

empathy clearly not your strong suit. Award ticketing is not available to the OP till next year. This cruise was canx in favor of a charter within 120 days of sailing. Who does that?

• Like 3

Disappointing and frustrating as this situation is…and it definitely would be if it happened to me…given the timing (Surfing Olympics), it could be a blessing in disguise. I love Tahiti/FP, am well acquainted with it, so let me offer this: I live in Kona and have to suffer the Iron Man invasion every year, Unsuspecting visitors who unwittingly booked far enough in advance to accidentally coincide with the race week are not getting their money’s worth OR getting the experience they expected. I can assure you that visiting Tahiti during the Olympics would not be the trip of your dreams unless you are a surfing fan. I hope that this tiny bit of reassurance can be a little silver lining to this very dark travel cloud. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 6:16 PM, buhbyenow said:

Disappointing and frustrating as this situation is…and it definitely would be if it happened to me…given the timing (Surfing Olympics), it could be a blessing in disguise. I love Tahiti/FP, am well acquainted with it, so let me offer this: I live in Kona and have to suffer the Iron Man invasion every year, Unsuspecting visitors who unwittingly booked far enough in advance to accidentally coincide with the race week are not getting their money’s worth OR getting the experience they expected. I can assure you that visiting Tahiti during the Olympics would not be the trip of your dreams unless you are a surfing fan. I hope that this tiny bit of reassurance can be a little silver lining to this very dark travel cloud. 

Exactly.  We're spending a week in Mexico City in October.  We found out it coincides with the F1 race.  As soon as we found out, we changed our flights and hotel.  Obviously at an expense to us.  We just didn't want to deal with that week and knew we wouldn't get the real experience.

Like you suggest, I wouldn't want to be on a cruise at that time.  Hopefully this provides some comfort to the OP.