Discovery Princess and Marketplace Buffet…No Need to Wash Your Hands

Recently off the Discovery. Initially crew reminding people entering the buffet to wash their hands. Noticed not many doing so and then crew were no longer posted. Days later I saw someone washing their face and blowing their nose directly into the sink. Shudders. I told the manager on duty and was told it’s a cultural thing and they can’t monitor everyone. 

Excuse me? Since when is that an acceptable reason?

• Like 1

Oh my. What you just posted of them washing their face and blowing their nose, sounds awful. 😞 We were on the Regal and I always tried to wash my hands, as it was THERE when you walked through the door. I didn't always see everyone washing their hands, but most did. I always tried to carry a wet wipe with me for "just in case."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

Recently off the Discovery. Initially crew reminding people entering the buffet to wash their hands. Noticed not many doing so and then crew were no longer posted. Days later I saw someone washing their face and blowing their nose directly into the sink. Shudders. I told the manager on duty and was told it’s a cultural thing and they can’t monitor everyone. 

Excuse me? Since when is that an acceptable reason?

We saw that also on the Sapphire.  Disgusting.  I don’t care what the culture is…not in your country now…do that in your cabin!  

Very unsanitary.

I could not eat there again.  Disgusting.🤢 

• Like 5

It really doesn’t matter that people aren’t washing their hands when entering the buffet. Their dirty habits will continue after hand washing. Butt scratching, nose picking, coughing in hands, handling dirty tissues, rearranging the boys, finger licking. I could go on forever. All that and more negates the hand washing they just did. I’m a serious people watcher. All the nasty habits catch my eye. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

Recently off the Discovery. Initially crew reminding people entering the buffet to wash their hands. Noticed not many doing so and then crew were no longer posted.

It's this way on ALL cruises.

Towards the end, no hand washing monitors.

• Like 3

You can't monitor other people's behaviors - everything we touch in the world has been touched by another human who may or may not have good hygiene habits. All you can do is protect yourself by washing and/or sanitizing YOUR hands before eating. We don't completely avoid the buffet, but if we go, we wash our hands before serving our food, and wash our hands again before eating, and I always carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me not just on our cruises but everywhere I go in life. I work in health care and am well aware of the pathogens that surround us - you just have to do your best to practice your own best hygiene and self protection and that is simply all you can do. It's called living in a world with other people over whom you have no control, but with whom you have to coexist.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rockraiders said:

It really doesn’t matter that people aren’t washing their hands when entering the buffet. Their dirty habits will continue after hand washing. Butt scratching, nose picking, coughing in hands, handling dirty tissues, rearranging the boys, finger licking. I could go on forever. All that and more negates the hand washing they just did. I’m a serious people watcher. All the nasty habits catch my eye. 

Cell phone! Washed hands and then grabbing phone from sink counter or pocket pretty much negates sanitation too.

• Like 1

I always wash my hands before I leave the cabin and try not to use any of the public bathrooms or sinks unless absolutely necessary. I also never had any problems with Noro on any ship.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

You can't monitor other people's behaviors - everything we touch in the world has been touched by another human who may or may not have good hygiene habits. All you can do is protect yourself by washing and/or sanitizing YOUR hands before eating. We don't completely avoid the buffet, but if we go, we wash our hands before serving our food, and wash our hands again before eating, and I always carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me not just on our cruises but everywhere I go in life. I work in health care and am well aware of the pathogens that surround us - you just have to do your best to practice your own best hygiene and self protection and that is simply all you can do. It's called living in a world with other people over whom you have no control, but with whom you have to coexist.

We do the same.  Always before and after going through the buffet.

• Like 3

I think one upside of COVID is that most people are much more conscious of personal hygiene. I will admit that I generally didn't wash my hands before a meal prior to the pandemic, but now I always do. I've also become one of those people who uses a paper towel to open the door of public restroom when I'm leaving. 

Now if we could just do away with handshakes and greet everyone with the "Namaste" instead.

Most people just go through the motions of washing their hands. My observation is that most don't use soap and water and friction for a full 20 seconds which is required to wash effectively. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Most people just go through the motions of washing their hands. My observation is that most don't use soap and water and friction for a full 20 seconds which is required to wash effectively. 

That's probably why they don't insist on everyone using the wash stations, for all the good it does. 

17 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We do the same.  Always before and after going through the buffet.

Without we always was up after eating at the buffet. I can't stand greasy fingers.

Posted (edited)

The thing I love about NCL is the Washy Washy Happy Happy song and monitors at the buffet. While they don’t make it mandatory I find more people than not wash their hands at the buffet on NCL because of the reminder. 

Edited by Mike A

Precisely why I don't eat at the buffet.  However, our next cruise is on the Sun and with the crew serving, it makes that buffet an option if we are in a bind for time.  

• Like 3