Caribbean currency

L74

What is the general consensus on currency for the Caribbean, in particular Dom Rep, Bahamas and Turks & Caicos?  As non US citizens we will of course be purchasing US Dollars for our week before the cruise but wanting to know if US Dollars will be accepted in the Caribbean?

We did a UK based company cruise a few years ago to India and Asia and the majority of people on the cruise were just using dollars so hopefully the Caribbean will be similar and we wont have to get individual currency for ports.

Thanks Lx

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The only islands in the Caribbean that might refuse dollars are Martinique and Guadeloupe, which require euros.  They are also happy with plastic.  EM

We went to Martinique several times and US currency was never a problem.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The only islands in the Caribbean that might refuse dollars are Martinique and Guadeloupe, which require euros.  They are also happy with plastic.  EM

1/2 of St. Martin prefers euro's as well but they will take USD

USD pretty-well everywhere. Many Caribbean countries' currencies are tied to the USD, same as Channel Islands & Gibraltar pounds are tied to the GB pound.

The exceptions quoted by others,  Martinique & Guadeloupe (plus the French half of Sint Maarten) are actually French departements just like Normandy, Brittany etc. and their currency is the euro.

At tourist outlets in those places USD will very probably be accepted, altho not necessarily at a favourable exchange rate. In shops geared to locals, on buses etc USD are often not accepted, but in many cases plastic solves the problem. In any case if you travel to mainland Europe you'll probably have some euros stashed away somewhere.

A couple of other things about using USD anywhere in the Caribbean

- $2 bills aren't accepted, and the same often applies to soiled notes

- If you use USD in outlets geared to locals, their tills are geared to give change in local currency. If for instance in a grocery shop you want to buy just a $2 bottle of pop with a $20 you'll get a very expensive bottle of pop and a stack of souvenir money. So when you get your dollars ask for plenty of 5's & 10's and use your week in the US to get some change in 1's.

Don't overdose on cash, plastic is widely used in the US and becoming much more widely used in the Caribbean.

And when using plastic decline any offer to charge your card in GBP "for your convenience" . Your card issuer will always give a better exchange rate. This also applies if you are cruising on a US ship - always but always have your card charged inn ship's burrency.

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We went to Martinique several times and US currency was never a problem.

Martinique is a French overseas territory and as JB has already explained above, the official currency is the euro. Guadeloupe is the same.

It may be that you were paying small independent traders  such as those  roadside, beachside  or in markets with small amounts of  US$ cash which they accepted  , but I think that if you were trying to pay in regular stores or paying for car rental or similar purchases  they would not have been accepted.

Edited by edinburgher

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Martinique is a French overseas territory and as JB has already explained above, the official currency is the euro. Guadeloupe is the same.

It may be that you were paying small independent traders  such as those  roadside, beachside  or in markets with small amounts of  US$ cash which they accepted  , but I think that if you were trying to pay in regular stores or paying for car rental or similar purchases  they would not have been accepted.

My first time in Martinique was in 1994.The only purchases I made there were tee shirts .I only buy shirts in regular stores.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My first time in Martinique was in 1994.The only purchases I made there were tee shirts .I only buy shirts in regular stores.

Mystery solved. 

Martinique and Guadeloupe formally adopted the euro as their legal currency on January 1st 2002 as did other French Overseas Territories including the French half of St Maarten, Guiana and Reunion, meaning that lenquixote66, should you return at any time in the future, you might want to have some euros with you or use only credit cards.

Edited by edinburgher

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Mystery solved. 

Martinique and Guadeloupe formally adopted the euro as their legal currency on January 1st 2002 as did other French Overseas Territories including the French half of St Maarten, Guiana and Reunion, meaning that lenquixote66, should you return at any time in the future, you might want to have some euros with you or use only credit cards.

If I ever return I will keep that in mind,thank you.

To put things in perspective… Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory. It’s official currency is the US Dollar. Same with BVI. It really is the dominate currency of the region.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wcook said:

To put things in perspective… Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory. It’s official currency is the US Dollar. Same with BVI. It really is the dominate currency of the region.

Nobody disputed that it was not, however it is not the only currency which is legal tender on some islands, and several members pointed out an obvious error to avoid confusion for future cruise passengers visiting any of the French Overseas Departments. 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:40 AM, Essiesmom said:

I remember needing a franc or euro, years ago on Guadeloupe, to be able to use the restroom kiosk (similar to the little "one-person buildings" in Paris).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wcook said:

Or, tongue-in-cheek, where ships berth on Grand Turk is Carnival Overseas Territory & its official currency is Carnival group sea-pass 😏 

JB 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1