New to MSC

g683002

I’ve been on many cruises and now want to try MSC. 

One specific question: does iMessage work without the WiFi plan?

Also looking for advice and recommendations from past travelers. 

23 minutes ago, g683002 said:

I’ve been on many cruises and now want to try MSC. 

Also looking for advice and recommendations from past travelers. 

Posted (edited)

I read somewhere that the Divina messages did not work much of the time because it's an older ship. I, too have cruised extensively, but am new to MSC and will travel on the 21rst 

Edited by Tomatoes

Hi! iMessage worked without issue without the wifi plan on both my April 2023 and December 2023 sailings.

Where are you looking to sail from? I have sailed out on NYC twice and we have just booked on the MSC Virtuosa for May 18, sailing out of Southampton. We were pretty loyal to NCL previous to this. Go in with an open mind. If sailing out of NYC, it can be challenging with a certain type of passenger group who don't understand North American etiquette. I have heard sailings are better from Florida.

In my opinion, you can't beat the cost of MSC in terms of what you get. Is it as good as NCL? No, not to me...but for $500-$700 less per passenger per cruise, I'm not going to complain! 😜

1 hour ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Hi! iMessage worked without issue without the wifi plan on both my April 2023 and December 2023 sailings.

Where are you looking to sail from? I have sailed out on NYC twice and we have just booked on the MSC Virtuosa for May 18, sailing out of Southampton. We were pretty loyal to NCL previous to this. Go in with an open mind. If sailing out of NYC, it can be challenging with a certain type of passenger group who don't understand North American etiquette. I have heard sailings are better from Florida.

In my opinion, you can't beat the cost of MSC in terms of what you get. Is it as good as NCL? No, not to me...but for $500-$700 less per passenger per cruise, I'm not going to complain! 😜

We are planning on a shorter Florida cruise to see if we like things before making a bigger commitment. Probably the Magnifica for 3 or 4 days. 

We also like NCL, but can’t ignore the price difference so giving it a shot. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ajoneen said:

just know the short sailings are generally a younger crowd that enjoys drinking

Yeah, those shorter cruises are prone to party ship environment, but at least one can watch all the other aspects of the product itself, plus ship and most of the times the private island which in MSC's case is one of the best in the whole industry, JIMHO.

I'm also a newbie MSC cruiser (all previous cruises have been on NCL), and I'm taking a 10 day cruise in June.  It's actually B2B cruises, a 3 day and a 7 day.  With everyone saying the short cruises are the party cruises, I guess I'll try to party hard with the kids for 3 days then take the next 7 to recover 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I'm also a newbie MSC cruiser (all previous cruises have been on NCL), and I'm taking a 10 day cruise in June.  It's actually B2B cruises, a 3 day and a 7 day.  With everyone saying the short cruises are the party cruises, I guess I'll try to party hard with the kids for 3 days then take the next 7 to recover 🙂

That sounds like an excellent philosophy!

As a result  of misbehavior by those who considered the short cruises a booze cruise, MSC tighten restrictions several years ago.  The restriction include not having drink packages available on certain itineraries from some ports on certain embarkation dates.

There is also a MSC Code of Passenger Conduct  and a section on alcohol use in their ticket contract on their website.

MSC is not an alcohol centric line and many are surprised at some of the areas on the ship where alcohol is not permitted. As any crew member is empowered to deal with those who are overserving themselves, there can be subtle controls, or not so subtle controls, placed on the passenger of which the passenger may not be aware. 

Anyone who has posted a review in which they complain of the lack of or difficulty obtaining a drink has been managed by the crew.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, craig01020 said:

I, too, just booked my first MSC cruise...a 7-nighter from NY to Bermuda on Meraviglia. Trying to keep an open mind.

We have sailed Meraviglia two times and had a wonderful time, the ship is gorgeous, very different, but we enjoyed the change. Have been on 15 MSC cruises and never had a bad experience. But as you know from these Boards, whether it be MSC or any other cruise line, there are always the ‘haters’ who are very verbal in their complaints and not so verbal with their praises. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 12:18 PM, g683002 said:

I just got off the Divina.  iMessage did work without a wifi plan.  I was able to text message anyone else on or off of the ship that also had a iphone (iMessage).  But I was unable to iMessage or text anyone who uses android.  I was surprised I was able to text anyone from anywhere the ship was, on port or in the middle of the sea.  Whether they were on the ship or back home in the US and even my daughter who lives in New Zealand.  But the iMessages were limited to text only, no photos or attachments other than plain text.  It was a bonus since I'd never pay for the ships overpriced wifi package.  I'm on vacation, I dont need to be glued to a phone like some.  

On 4/15/2024 at 4:23 PM, g683002 said:

We are planning on a shorter Florida cruise to see if we like things before making a bigger commitment. Probably the Magnifica for 3 or 4 days. 

We also like NCL, but can’t ignore the price difference so giving it a shot. 

Book into the Yacht club and you will not be subject to the roudyness of the rest of the ship on a short cruise.

Just make sure you use a TA. The customer service is crap and if you have an issue, let a TA handle it.

It costs you nothing and you avoid any of the multiple screw ups they have done to many people.

Great product, just the treating the passengers like cargo is the issue.