Newby Princess Questions

Jeep Guy

Sorry, I am sure these questions are answered here... somewhere! There is so much info, I feel like I'm trying to drink from the proverbial fire hose. This will be my first cruise and my wife's first on Princess.

We've reserved a Princess cruise to Alaska at the end of August for 4 adults. Questions are about costs.

We signed up for "Princess Plus" (I think it's called). a) Does this really include ALL gratuities? b) What do we expect to pay for alcohol? The upgrade says it includes drinks up to $14 I believe. Does this cover a standard Marguerita, for instance? Or a shot of Jim Beam? c) I find confusing information about Wi-Fi.  Does the upgrade pay for all passengers' Wi-Fi, or will we have additional expense?

If you can answer these, or direct me to the proper forum, I would be much appreciative!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeep Guy said:

Sorry, I am sure these questions are answered here... somewhere! There is so much info, I feel like I'm trying to drink from the proverbial fire hose. This will be my first cruise and my wife's first on Princess.

We've reserved a Princess cruise to Alaska at the end of August for 4 adults. Questions are about costs.

We signed up for "Princess Plus" (I think it's called). a) Does this really include ALL gratuities? b) What do we expect to pay for alcohol? The upgrade says it includes drinks up to $14 I believe. Does this cover a standard Marguerita, for instance? Or a shot of Jim Beam? c) I find confusing information about Wi-Fi.  Does the upgrade pay for all passengers' Wi-Fi, or will we have additional expense?

If you can answer these, or direct me to the proper forum, I would be much appreciative!

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

Here is a link to the Princess section:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

You'll get lots of answers there.

And here is the full TOC (Table of Contents) for other topics:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com

Enjoy!!

GC

• Like 1

Gratuities are included in the package, though some people tip extra along the way.  15 drinks per day pp are included at $15. This amount covers most drinks.   If you choose something over $15 they will just charge you the overage plus 18%. So a $20 drink would be $5.90

• Like 2

1)  For all passengers with the plus fare all housekeeping gratuities, $16 to $18/pp/day depending on cabin category, are included. You will not be charged. All beverage service charges,18%, are also included for beverages menu priced up to $15. No service charges are added per drinks covered under the fare.

2) $15 is the menu price and covers probably 80 to 90% of all the straight spirits as well as mixed drinks. The drinks you mentioned are covered. If you order a drink in excess of $15 you will be charged the difference + 18%. If you order a double Jim Beam that will be charged to your daily 15 drink limit as 2 drinks. There are a number of wines that exceed the $15 limit.  Non alcoholic beverages, such as specialty coffees, sodas and such are unlimited and do not count against the daily limit. Only alcoholic beverages count toward the limit.

3) Every passenger with the plus fare will have unlimited wifi internet for a single device.  

• Like 2

Gratuities for waitstaff, cabin steward, etc and drinks up to $15 are all covered by the Plus package. Basically all services in the package.

If you visit the spa for example, there will be additional gratuities added to your charges for services there. If you purchase a $20 glass of wine, you will be charged the $5 difference above included cost plus an 18% gratuity on that $5.

Each person with the Plus package can use internet on one device at a time. 

• Like 1

To add to my post 5. Single device means one device per person at a time. If a person has both a phone and a lap top, for example, that person can only be on one of those at a time. You can log off of one of them an onto the other. 

• Like 1

Since it's your first cruise I recommend reviewing Princess' general FAQs here 

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq

For an overview of the Princess Plus package benefits see https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

For specifics see Princess Plus Terms and Conditions https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skynight said:

To add to my post 5. Single device means one device per person at a time. If a person has both a phone and a lap top, for example, that person can only be on one of those at a time. You can log off of one of them an onto the other. 

You are correct .. it’s really easy to just switch devices.  If you fell like that is not sufficient, one of you can upgrade to the 4 device package and you are able to share those logins with the others in your group.  

Most basic cocktails and drinks are covered under the Plus Package.  If you want a high end liquor or a nicer wine, you may have to pay extra or upgrade to the premier package.  You can each have up to 15 drinks with alcohol but unlimited sodas, juices, specialty coffees, etc with either package.  
Also, you will each be able to go to one of the casual dining venues twice per cruise, such as the GastroPub, Ocean Terrace, Vines (Charcuterie board with crudities and chocolate truffles), O'Malleys, Alfredo’s pizzeria, etc depending on which ship you are on.  
Unless you go to a specialty restaurant, the spa, etc., all tips are covered under the plus package, for your meals and drinks.  
As in the above comment, your WiFi is covered for one device at a time pp, but you can use multiple devices .. just log off one and onto a different device.  
We tend to get the plus package on the older ships and the premier package on the Royal class ships, as they have many more casual dining options available and it is unlimited, so it holds more value.  In addition, the premier package gives you all your photos taken by the ship’s photographers.  We usually have no additional costs above and beyond what the premier package provides.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Unless you go to a specialty restaurant, the spa, etc., all tips are covered under the plus package, for your meals and drinks.  

There is an 18% service charge added to the quoted cost of specialty restaurants. The $39 Crown Grill will actually cost you $46.02. If you have included specialty dining such as with the premier package then I assume the entire cost is covered by the package and no further tipping is required.