Princess Alaska transport vs other

cusematt4

Hi all,

We are looking forward to our first ever trip to Alaska.  There are 4 of us.

Currently we have a transfer with Princess from the anchorage airport to hotel captain cook.  This is during the day around noon.

I just realized the transfer is $136 for the 4 of us.  It is only a 10 minute ride based on google maps.

It seems we could get an Uber xl for $20.

Is Uber ok to use?  It seems he’d to justify an extra $100 for a 10 minute ride when Ubers and Lyfts should be available in peak season in June.

Thank you.

Yes, Uber and local taxis in Anchorage are absolutely fine to use. My son was just there in February to sit for the bar and used local taxis and Uber to get around for the week he spent there with no difficulty at all. 

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't use Princess transfers from Anchorage airport to CC hotel.  Uber or taxi is cheaper, no waiting for others, and door to door...

Save the $100+ for excursions, dinner, souvenirs, etc. 

Is this transfer part of the Hotel Captain Cook reservation package?  Or did you just happen to book in the same hotel as Princess uses for their cruises?  

22 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We are looking forward to our first ever trip to Alaska.  There are 4 of us.

Currently we have a transfer with Princess from the anchorage airport to hotel captain cook.  This is during the day around noon.

I just realized the transfer is $136 for the 4 of us.  It is only a 10 minute ride based on google maps.

It seems we could get an Uber xl for $20.

Is Uber ok to use?  It seems he’d to justify an extra $100 for a 10 minute ride when Ubers and Lyfts should be available in peak season in June.

Thank you.

I did not think Princess offered a standalone transfer from the airport to the hotel. If you purchase a pre-cruise hotel through Princess, then the transfer from the airport to the hotel and the transfer from the hotel to the ship are included in the price quoted for the hotel. That is why Princess hotels charge one price for one night and a lower per-night price for additional nights. Do you actually have a separate Princess transfer from the airport to a hotel that you booked independently?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Uber and Lyft both operate here smoothly. After you claim your luggage, take the escalator or elevator back up to the check encounter level, and exit. There will be signs telling you where to wait, and then when you order your Uber or Lyft, you tell them which of the places you selected for waiting. You will save a fortune getting to your hotel this way instead of with Princess transportation. 

@cusematt4, have you discovered if the ‘transfer’ you have booked also includes the transfer from the hotel to the ship in Whittier which is quite a ways from Anchorage. How were you planning on getting from your Hotel to the ship?