Question: Port Stop In Lahaina

shipndip60

Has anyone heard what there is to do when the ship tenders to Lahaina, it's there from 7am to 6pm.  My cruise next year has us stopping there so I was wondering if anyone has any information on that

• Like 1

Speculation only.  

Currently, Lahaina is only accessible to residents and clean up crew.  Don’t see that changing anytime soon.  Who knows a year from now.

Educated guess would be excursions to Haleakala, Marine Center, Road to Hana, and maybe beach days in West Oahu.  There might be whale watching available.  Maybe snorkeling near Molokini.  

There are a few things opening up in Lahaina.  From my perspective, I do not see “Lahaina” as a tourist destination for a decade or more.  The harbor just recently opened up to residents.

I’m sure @Teechur and @Astro Flyer may have more insight.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

You should check out your itinerary. Believe that the Maui port stop will probably be at Kahuli, not Lahaina. Tours should mostly be the same. At least that was what I have been told for my January 2025 Hawaii cruise. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

Has anyone heard what there is to do when the ship tenders to Lahaina, it's there from 7am to 6pm.  My cruise next year has us stopping there so I was wondering if anyone has any information on that

While Lahaina is on the schedule for next year I expect you will see that change sometime before then.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Lots of changes coming.  Have cruises that have scheduled stops in Russia, Isreal and others that are not likely to happen.

As said, today unless you are a resident you cannot enter Lahaina.   Sadly will be years before things are rebuilt.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

25 minutes ago, shipndip60 said:

Lahaina is basically a wasteland at this point. Any ships sailing to Maui are stopping in Kahului   They will have similar tours but many will take more time due to location 

• Like 1

I only ask because my itinerary has Lahaina as the port, I'm sure there can't be much to do or see because of the fires.  I thought maybe someone has returned from a cruise and could shed some light om my question.  Thank You all for the feed back

Posted (edited)

Cruises won't be stopping at Lahaina, for probably 5-10 years. The town is a complete wreck and cleanup will take years, then planning and rebuilding.

Much of what was there will not be permitted in the future, including all of the businesses on the water-side of Front Street.

The fire created a once-in-a-century opportunity to bring the town up to modern building codes. Many people will lose all, or at least some of their property in the process.

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shipndip60 said:

I only ask because my itinerary has Lahaina as the port, I'm sure there can't be much to do or see because of the fires.  I thought maybe someone has returned from a cruise and could shed some light om my question.  Thank You all for the feed back

In typical Princess fashion they take their time in assigning replacement ports.  If you still stop on Maui you'll be at Kahului.  There's still so much to see from there and I really do hope that Princess keeps its Maui stop as opposed to adding a second stop on Hawaii (as some of the earliest cruises following the fire had done).  It truly won't be the same as visiting Lahaina used to be but Maui does still have a lot to offer cruisers.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

I, for one, am very happy that Princess is considering returning to Maui (Kahului).  The island has been hit economically hard due to the Lahaina fire.  They could use tourism funds.  

• Like 4

Agree with the others: few of us slightly more senior cruisers will never see Lahaina again, at least downtown. The famous "Old Lahaina Luau" is set to open soon, may already be open.

A couple great videos recorded recently by a resident of Lahaina can be seen at the links below. Be prepared to be depressed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Agree with the others: few of us slightly more senior cruisers will never see Lahaina again, at least downtown. The famous "Old Lahaina Luau" is set to open soon, may already be open.

A couple great videos recorded recently by a resident of Lahaina can be seen at the links below. Be prepared to be depressed.

The videos say it all.  Lahaina is still closed to non residents or those helping to rebuild.   For those that have visited, cherish those memories.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I rarely watch YouTube videos but oddly I watched the first one last Saturday.  It started out in a lovely community that we have visited in the past - Puamana - and from there the gut punch continues.  We've actually visited Maui twice since the fires, the first time staying down in Kihei and the second up in Napili north of the devastation area but you can definitely see some of the damage from the bypass.  It's rough to see and I'm not usually emotional but I was every single time we had to drive through that section.  And the scope of the devastation is just beyond comprehension.  I pray every day for those who lost everything as they start the very long process of rebuilding.  The residents need to be taken care of first and then long after that the rest will come.

• Like 6

Not clear if cruise ships will ever return to Lahaina. There were efforts in the past to block cruise ships there due to the humpback whale national marine Sanctuary. 

If not for the Sanctuary Maui and the cruise lines could easily make  the Maalaea small boat harbor into a temporary tender port. The water off shore is deep enough, close enough for easy tender operation. Right next to the aquarium and a common departure point for whale watching and snorkeling trips. Common excursions for passengers at Lahaina.

As it is today there is not even a good plan for what the rebuilt Lahaina will look like. If it will be totally focused on locals, how much of any will be focused on tourists.

There is a good possibility that even when it is rebuilt it will not be a tender port.

Discussions are ongoing about how Lahaina will be rebuilt. I agree with ‘teechur’ that Lahaina won’t be ready for ships for 5-10 years…and any tourism might take just as long.

Whatever is built it might be impossible to recreate the charm of historical Old Lahaina Town. Maybe it’ll be a facade of Old Lahaina Town but in my opinion it will never be the same for me & my ohana…memories that will never be forgotten & are impossible to replace. 😢

As others have written there are other good places to visit in South Maui, Upcountry and along the windward coast. The closest I can think about that is somewhat similar to Old Lahaina Town might be Paia or Makawao…but neither are Lahaina.

In my opinion, Lahaina will be rebuilt however it will never be the same as historical Old Lahaina Town…the one time capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii and the whaling capital of the world.

• Like 12

I hold such a special place in my heart for Lahaina. We honeymooned nearby at Kaanapali Beach at the Royal Lahaina Resort - it will be 40 years ago this fall. It was the first time I had ever been to Hawaii, or almost anywhere for that matter and my DH and I were just kids really. We thought Lahaina was the most charming little town we had ever seen and made so many memories there on that first trip and many subsequent trips. Watching those videos is heartbreaking.

But articles like this one about the famous Banyan Tree showing signs of recovery remind me that Lahaina will be back in time - maybe a long time, but someday. I hope I get to see it and celebrate when it does come back and sit in the shade of that beautiful tree again.

https://mauinow.com/2024/04/11/lahaina-banyan-tree-continues-to-show-signs-of-recovery-eight-months-after-the-maui-fires/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I, for one, am very happy that Princess is considering returning to Maui (Kahului).  The island has been hit economically hard due to the Lahaina fire.  They could use tourism funds.  

Not considering but doing. We will be docking in Kahului on Saturday

Will you be taking any tours?  Walk across the street to the Maui Mall and enjoy a refreshing Guri Guri "ice cream".  Buy local:  Maui Manju, Maui Potato Chips, visit the local beaches near by.  Rent a car and drive the UpCountry.  

Mahalo nui loa for supporting Maui.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I rarely watch YouTube videos but oddly I watched the first one last Saturday.  It started out in a lovely community that we have visited in the past - Puamana - and from there the gut punch continues.  We've actually visited Maui twice since the fires, the first time staying down in Kihei and the second up in Napili north of the devastation area but you can definitely see some of the damage from the bypass.  It's rough to see and I'm not usually emotional but I was every single time we had to drive through that section.  And the scope of the devastation is just beyond comprehension.  I pray every day for those who lost everything as they start the very long process of rebuilding.  The residents need to be taken care of first and then long after that the rest will come.

Let's also pray that super rich people( we won't mention any names) won't come up and just try to steal the Hawaiians land..God Bless Hawaii!!

Edited by STLCARDS82

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Will you be taking any tours?  Walk across the street to the Maui Mall and enjoy a refreshing Guri Guri "ice cream".  Buy local:  Maui Manju, Maui Potato Chips, visit the local beaches near by.  Rent a car and drive the UpCountry.  

Mahalo nui loa for supporting Maui.

Easy to get a rental car at Enterprise just across the street from the port near the mall. Not far once you actually get outside of the fence maze that is the walk out.

Edited by TRLD

12 minutes ago, STLCARDS82 said:

Let's also pray that super rich people( we won't mention any names) won't come up and just try to steal the Hawaiians land..God Bless Hawaii!!

Plenty of developers already trying and have been since the first few days after the fire.

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Do you know if the Safeway is open and accessible?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, memoak said:

Lahaina is basically a wasteland at this point. Any ships sailing to Maui are stopping in Kahului   They will have similar tours but many will take more time due to location 

Right, just heard that they haven't even issued any building permits. It seems that the people will not even be able to rebuild their homes!  There is some talk of turning it into a "technical" center to attract  programmers and silicon valley types?
Hope this is not true especially for the folks who used to live there.  What a shame.

Edited by suzyed

2 minutes ago, suekel said:

Do you know if the Safeway is open and accessible?

If you’re asking about the Lahaina Cannery Mall Safeway…it is open.

The mall was not damaged nor was the Lahaina Gateway center. Businesses makai of LCM also survived including the Old Lahaina Luau which has reopened. The Feast at Lele (505 Front Street) owned by the same company was destroyed by the firestorm.

image.thumb.png.e637dd0d07289ea52a609a089bf58a5c.png

• Like 1

Makai = Ocean side (toward the ocean).

There is a Whole Foods and CVS/Longs at the Maui Mall.  You can catch a city bus to a Foodland not far away (about a mile if you want to walk it).

My story about the people of the Maui:

I walked across the street to the Maui Mall for my Guri Guri fix.  Could not find big bags of Maui Potato Chips so called the factory to find out where I could purchase them (not at Longs or Whole Foods).

Nice person/owner? on the other end of the call asked me how many bags I wanted.  If I waited at the mall....she would deliver them in a few minutes.

I tried to give her more for her troubles...she declined and gave me back exact change. 

• Like 7