Paris from the coast.

shorton

My wife and I are on the September Stockholm to Amsterdam cruise on Sirena. We dock in Rouen, France, at 6 a.m.  Oct. 14. The ship leaves Rouen at 5 p.m. If we figure to be back on board at 4 p.m., is it still feasible to take the train to Paris and back? Doesn't seem worth it if we only have a couple hours. Thoughts?

It's possible as about 1 hour 30 mins each way on the train so you would need to leave Paris by 2:30 to be back for 4 - you would need to be very disciplined and either go for a brief overview of a few things or visit one or 2 things in more depth BUT the French can be very militant - the olympics will have finished the previous month and they are threatening to strike for that so I would check out an alternative return and the cost just in case.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One of my favorite excursions was while docked in Civitavecchia, Italy.  DH and I had been to Rome a couple of times before, but had missed a few of the smaller sites, like the The Aventine Keyhole and touring the interior of the Victor Emmanuel II National Monument. 

We took an hour long Fast train into Rome after walking to the train station near the port.  The train arrived near St. Peters Square in Rome.   It happened to be a Wednesday, so we dropped in on the Pope giving his Papal Blessing. 🙏  Afterward, we flagged down a taxi and asked the driver if she could take us on a 'speed' tour of a list of sites that I had already written down.  She agreed.   We knocked out 6-7 sites in a couple of hours.  Our driver was having as much fun as we were!   She would drop us off and either wait for us to jump out of the cab to take a photo, or come back with-in a set time limit to pick us up.  After visiting the sites, we asked to be taken to a pizza place for lunch.  She picked us back up after an hour and drove us to the train station.  Back in Civitavecchia, we arrived at the port in plenty of time for all aboard. 🤗  So much fun!!!

You could do the same in Paris. 😉

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shorton said:

My wife and I are on the September Stockholm to Amsterdam cruise on Sirena. We dock in Rouen, France, at 6 a.m.  Oct. 14. The ship leaves Rouen at 5 p.m. If we figure to be back on board at 4 p.m., is it still feasible to take the train to Paris and back? Doesn't seem worth it if we only have a couple hours. Thoughts?

If you want to go to Paris by train you will need to get to the train station and wait for the train. In the best case you will spend 4 hours in transit round trip. Then you will have only few hours in Paris and you will find that the major places of interest aren’t very close to each other. So you will need to use metro or taxi to get around.

We’re in France right now and spend 3 days in Paris. There were lines everywhere an hour or more to visit any museum. Also, many places require online reservations for tickets to get in way in advance.

Only you can decide if it worth going to Paris considering all that but I’d think that you wouldn’t be able to see much while you are there.

And by the way, there are plenty to see in Rouen for the port day if you never been there before.

Enjoy your visit to France whatever you decide to do.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

That is definitely one tour I would do as a Ship’s tour just for the added insurance of returning on time or to a dock with an Oceania ship waiting for me. Just joking. 
That could be a short and stressful tour day to see Paris for only a few hours.  I would rather go back from Amsterdam and spend some days, too much to see and too beautiful to rush bye. 
Would it be possible to get in a tour to Normandy?  That is pretty spectacular but then I do not know where Rouen is as I did not check a map before I started pecking away. 
Mauibabes

• Haha 1

I have been to Paris many times.  (We have family in France.)  A short drive around the city won't be very fun.  If it takes you over an hour to get there and back, you won't have time for anything but maybe a Hop-On-Hop-Off bus.  Notre Dame was still not open when I was there last June, but when it does open, you can count on long queues.  There is no way to see the Louvre in such a short time.  Even if just to see Mona Lisa, it would take over an hour to clear security, find your way to the painting and then join the queue.  France is famous for its strikes, and museums as well as transportation can shut down with little notice.  I would advise against trying to do Paris on your short schedule.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shorton said:

You best check your itinerary as Rouen is inland and suspect you are docking at either Le Havre or Honfleur. You should also look at the Oceania offered excursions to have an idea what they are offering. We've been to Rouen, Paris and the Normandy beaches by land never by cruise and all places are splendid to visit if you have time. We are booked on an Oceania cruise that stops in Honfleur and checked the offered O excursions by bus to give you an idea:  tours to Rouen are approximately 5 hours, tours to Paris are approximately 9 1/2 hours and to Normandy beaches are 8-9 1/2 hours. If you are ok with long bus rides to Paris or Normandy, would recommend going with Oceania for peace of mind getting back to the ship for all aboard time.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

In my mind, Paris deserves much more than just a part of a day. If you think it is likely that you will have a chance to visit on another trip when a longer stay is possible, then select one of the other options. I really like Honfleur, and would look forward to visiting Rouen or Giverny. Obviously, for some Normandy would be their choice.

However, if you think that your chances of seeing Paris are more a "now or never" situation, then I would say go for it! Use google maps to locate the drop off point at Place de la Concorde, and plan what you would like to see. You are basically right along the Seine, so Sainte-Chapelle is about a 30 minute walk, Musee d'Orsay is right across the Siene, and if well planned the Louvre is available for a mini tour. In the opposite direction, it is a 30 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. It might not be possible to manage the lines to go to the top of the tower, but it is an imposing sight even from the ground. 

In one block on the Boulavard Sainte Germain, we found a cheese shop, a wine shop, and a bakery, along with the butcher and the fish monger, and fruit stand. Maybe you would want to go shopping and have a picnic in one of the several parks nearby. Or just find an appealing cafe and have lunch.  

If you do decide to go to Paris, be forewarned that traffic in route may well diminish your planned 4 hours of free time, so set modest expectations You certainly cannot do it all, but you can do a few special things.  Enjoy whatever you do!

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 1

We love Paris, but a world wind trip I don't know!  But getting one hour before the ship leaves, I wouldn't gamble like that-I would want more of a cushion.  Whatever you decide have a great trip.

• Like 1

We went to Rouen by train from Le Havre and it was very easy and much cheaper than an Oceania trip.Just google SNCF for details.

Alternatively Honfleur is lovely and all you do is get a taxi outside the terminal,make sure you book a return trip.The first time we did this we didn’t and had a few anxious moments because we couldn’t find any taxis in Honfleur,but got over it

As Mentioned previously, trains get delayed frequently. Strikes are unannounced and common. I would not risk it in France. That may be an expensive taxi ride back to the coast.

13 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

You best check your itinerary as Rouen is inland and suspect you are docking at either Le Havre or Honfleur.

Well, shiver me timbers!  I'd have noted the same thing as WESTEAST above since Rouen is definitely inland and basically a river-cruise port.  But CruiseMapper's schedule for October (https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/rouen-port-3937?month=2024-10#schedule) shows Sirena docking in Rouen as the OP posted.  

Still, as others have written, a day trip from there to Paris is risky.  Besides, Rouen's a beautiful, atmospheric city with a cathedral as spectacular as you'll find anywhere.  I can even recommend a great place for lunch if you're so inclined.

• Like 1

Does the cruise line offer a "transfer to Paris".  We have done these in Rome and Granada, Spain.  It's just a bus transfer there and back with free time in the city.

That way you are on a ship tour and a bit less concerned with "getting back" on time.  

Just don't miss the departure time for the bus back to the ship.

Otherwise I agree that you should save Paris for another time.  There are some interesting sites closer to the port.

We are on Crystal Symphony in September (600 passengers) and we are docking in Rouen for three days. Tours offered are Paris ( we have two overnights) Giverney, Normandy etc. We plan the D-Day beaches. For your Oceania trip , I agree go with Oceania for safety if you choose Paris

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Well, shiver me timbers!  I'd have noted the same thing as WESTEAST above since Rouen is definitely inland and basically a river-cruise port.  But CruiseMapper's schedule for October (https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/rouen-port-3937?month=2024-10#schedule) shows Sirena docking in Rouen as the OP posted.  

Still, as others have written, a day trip from there to Paris is risky.  Besides, Rouen's a beautiful, atmospheric city with a cathedral as spectacular as you'll find anywhere.  I can even recommend a great place for lunch if you're so inclined.

Looks like there’s plenty to see in Rouen without any risk. We will be there on my wife’s birthday. Your lunch recommendation looks terrific. 

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

22 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

One of my favorite excursions was while docked in Civitavecchia, Italy.  DH and I had been to Rome a couple of times before, but had missed a few of the smaller sites, like the The Aventine Keyhole and touring the interior of the Victor Emmanuel II National Monument. 

We took an hour long Fast train into Rome after walking to the train station near the port.  The train arrived near St. Peters Square in Rome.   It happened to be a Wednesday, so we dropped in on the Pope giving his Papal Blessing. 🙏  Afterward, we flagged down a taxi and asked the driver if she could take us on a 'speed' tour of a list of sites that I had already written down.  She agreed.   We knocked out 6-7 sites in a couple of hours.  Our driver was having as much fun as we were!   She would drop us off and either wait for us to jump out of the cab to take a photo, or come back with-in a set time limit to pick us up.  After visiting the sites, we asked to be taken to a pizza place for lunch.  She picked us back up after an hour and drove us to the train station.  Back in Civitavecchia, we arrived at the port in plenty of time for all aboard. 🤗  So much fun!!!

You could do the same in Paris. 😉

@Iamthesea We read with interest your post.  How late was your ship in Civitavecchia?  We will be there on a turnaround day and the ship sails at 5:00 pm so are curious how much time you had in the City and what was on your list to see.  Presumably your ship stayed later than 5:00.  Sorry for going off topic in this forum, but appreciate your response.

It's been so long ago (2012) that I don't remember.  I do not think that we were in port past 5:00 - 6:00.  It was not a turn-around day.

We did get off of the ship ASAP and walked to the train station.  Do know that the Fast Track may not run anymore.  Plus, there have been recent reports of train strikes.

As I mentioned earlier, we had been to Rome a few times before this trip, so many of the things we wanted to see were not major have-to-see places for Rome.  In addition to The Aventine Keyhole and  Victor Emmanuel II (where we could see miles from atop the structure), we went to an overlook of Trastevere, called Gianicolo Hill.   Trevi Fountain was a priority, of course, so that we could throw a coin in the fountain to ensure another trip back (which we have done 3-4 times since.)

After lunch, we took a ride past Castel Sant' Angelo on the way back to St. Peters where we had planned to climb to the top of the dome for another view of Rome. Unfortunately, there was a protestor that had somehow climbed out a window of the dome and he was waving a flag. The dome was closed off to other visitors. We decided to have a nice cup of hot chocolate at a nearby outdoor café.   Before heading back to the train station, I was taking a photo of my husband when a priest walked by, turned around, and insisted on taking our picture together.  😁  We were back in Civitavecchia before we knew it!

we have cruised up the Seine to Rouen and docked overnight there with CMV. There's certainly plenty to see in Rouen and also in Honfleur. If you're into military history it's worth taking a trip around the D Day beaches. My great uncle is buried in Bayeux British Military Cemetary and Bayeux itself is a lovely town. Arromanches is another fascinating town. 

I wouldn't try and do Paris on your own in such a short time frame unless it's a must-see. We're lucky of course as we can go over whenever I need my Paris fix! 

We did it from Rouen.  We were doing an overnight in Rouen.  Trains are usually reliable in France.  We were off the ship soon after docking. Took transfer bus to train station.  Bought ticket and went to Paris. We had a full day. Took the 8 pm train back to Rouen.  For a 5 pm sail time, you can get in a 4-5 hour time in Paris. Know what you are going to do.  We went to Muse d’Orsay for a special exhibit.  We had skip the line tickets.  For a first trip to Paris, the hop on off bus is good.  

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Trains are usually reliable in France. .  

If they aren't on strike--which is more often than you might think.  

19 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We did it from Rouen.  We were doing an overnight in Rouen.  Trains are usually reliable in France.  We were off the ship soon after docking. Took transfer bus to train station.  Bought ticket and went to Paris. We had a full day. Took the 8 pm train back to Rouen.  For a 5 pm sail time, you can get in a 4-5 hour time in Paris. Know what you are going to do.  We went to Muse d’Orsay for a special exhibit.  We had skip the line tickets.  For a first trip to Paris, the hop on off bus is good.  

A few years ago in paris, not on a cruise, we had skip the line tickets. There was a long-ish line. My husband thought we were on the wrong line. He went to check and found out it was the correct line. The other line was very long. It is my favorite museum in Paris. Great weather, always worth the short-ish wait even with the skip the line tickets.

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

A few years ago in paris, not on a cruise, we had skip the line tickets. There was a long-ish line. My husband thought we were on the wrong line. He went to check and found out it was the correct line. The other line was very long. It is my favorite museum in Paris. Great weather, always worth the short-ish wait even with the skip the line tickets.

That’s become normal nowadays for all major museums in Paris. There’s no “skip the line” option to get right in. And it’s normally a long line to go through the security as well.