Icon of the seas Infinity balcony

I have read some negative reviews on infinity balconies due to no AC in the room while you open the window to use as a balcony.  How true is this?  If you have stayed in these rooms did you like them or not?

4 minutes ago, rccllovergirl said:

I have read some negative reviews on infinity balconies due to no AC in the room while you open the window to use as a balcony.  How true is this?  If you have stayed in these rooms did you like them or not?

It's true.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We had an infinite balcony on the Edge. 
I will never book another one. 

While I think an infinite veranda would be good for cooler weather sailings like Alaska...I have to agree. I had an infinite veranda on a Caribbean Edge sailing and wasn't a fan at all.

• Like 2

I had one on Icon and enjoyed the extra space in the stateroom.  We don't "sit out" on the balcony much but enjoy the extra light, view and the ability to get fresh air that a balcony provides and this did all of these.  For me the extra space was a perfect spot to be able to set up my "office".

I definitely can see why some do not like it but for us it definitely works.

• Like 5

Closed, it's a nice floor to ceiling windows view. But open your cabin becomes a hot box. Good for Alaska and Canada maybe, but the Caribbean not so much. The extra square feet is nice. Just don't open window in warm climate. 

• Like 1

We cruised on the Icon in March and I was baffled at these cabins. Even with March temps this would eliminate one from enjoying the breeze while others in the cabin wanted AC.
 Interesting that we docked by two Celebrity ships in ports and their design had some of the same.

To each his own, but hard pass for my wife and I.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I had one on Icon and enjoyed the extra space in the stateroom.  We don't "sit out" on the balcony much but enjoy the extra light, view and the ability to get fresh air that a balcony provides and this did all of these.  For me the extra space was a perfect spot to be able to set up my "office".

I definitely can see why some do not like it but for us it definitely works.

I like it for basically these same reasons.  It makes the room not only physically bigger, but it brings in a lot more daylight, so it seems even bigger.

• Like 3

In my view the cabin is more like a bigger oceanview room with a window that can be opened (technically lowered). When we were on Apex a few years ago we liked it (probably the novelty of it), but when we were on Icon we didn’t like it. I don’t think I would book one again. I like the feeling of being outside on a regular balcony and you don’t get that feeling on an infinite balcony. Plus, unlike a regular balcony, one person can’t be enjoying the balcony while the other one is inside taking a nap, for example. My bottom line recommendation would be if you like the extra room, this cabin type will appeal to you. But if you like the feeling and functionality of a normal balcony, you won’t like this cabin. 

• Like 1

We'll experience our infinity balcony on Icon next year and I am very much looking forward to it! You know the old saying, "Don't knock it until you've tried it!" We have never spent a lot of time on an open balcony anyway but will like the nice light in the room, the ability to determine the day's weather, and people watch in general. It's doubtful that we will open that window much, if at all. Personal preference definitely applies!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

We cruised on the Icon in March and I was baffled at these cabins. Even with March temps this would eliminate one from enjoying the breeze while others in the cabin wanted AC.
 Interesting that we docked by two Celebrity ships in ports and their design had some of the same.

To each his own, but hard pass for my wife and I.

The infinite balcony was introduced with Celebrity Edge class ships...I was really surprised when they brought it over to Icon....but then again I don't have the slightest interest in Icon....so infinite away....lol

• Haha 1

I don't need to try it to not like it. My wife likes to go on the balcony read and enjoy the breeze  sometimes in the afternoon while I may take a nap. I like to go on the balcony and enjoy the breeze while she is getting ready. Neither one of us wants the A/C shut off while the other is out there. To me they built way too many of these infinite balcony rooms on Icon. 

• Like 2

Just returned from Icon last night (Family Infinity 11712).  Best cabin we have ever had.  Big enough for a family of 5 (16,16, 11).  Very spacious.  Loved the split bathroom.  Mattress was great.  Three TV’s.  Room was super dark in the morning with both blinds closed.  

But if you are looking to be in an outside balcony while others are inside with AC, this won’t work.  I like the room cold and my kids wanted the window opened. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 4:03 PM, bajathree said:

The infinite balcony was introduced with Celebrity Edge class ships...I was really surprised when they brought it over to Icon....but then again I don't have the slightest interest in Icon....so infinite away....lol

I am thinking that these cabins save money by simplifying construction. And no more complaints “there was rust VISIBLE on our balcony.”

I want my cabin icy cold at all times. 

I like having a separate space to slip out to, hear the waves, while the other is sleeping. 

11 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I am thinking that these cabins save money by simplifying construction. And no more complaints “there was rust VISIBLE on our balcony.”

I want my cabin icy cold at all times. 

I like having a separate space to slip out to, hear the waves, while the other is sleeping. 

I like it cold too.  My only complain at Icon last week was how warm it was in all common areas.  I was sweating in the promenade every night.  Uncomfortably hot.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was not a big fan of this type of room. Like others have said, when the window is down the AC turns off which is unfortunate is 1 person wanted to use the "balcony" and the other stay "inside". Within minutes the mirrors fogged up on us and we shut the window again. I wouldn't book this cabin again, but it is far from a "bad" cabin.