Aus the fourth-largest cruise market

From todays Cruise Weekly  18April 2024

Australia was the world’s fourth-largest cruise market last year, with 1.25 million passengers embarking in 2023. The Land Down Under finished behind the United States (16.9 million), Germany (2.5 million), and the United Kingdom (2.2 million) in terms of total pax, according to data released by Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) (CW 16 Apr). The rise in short-break cruises being offered by lines is reflected in CLIA’s data, with the average duration of an ocean voyage taken by Australians last year being 8.1 days, down from 9 days pre-pandemic. The most popular region for Aussies to sail in, outside of Australia and the South Pacific, is still the Mediterranean, with 5.3% of passengers embarking on a cruise there last year, followed by Asia (2.5%), Alaska (1.9%), Northern Europe (1%), and the Caribbean (1%). Growing segments of the Australian cruise industry include trans-Atlantic and world cruises; Hawaii & and the West Coast of the US; and expedition cruises, which captured 0.8%, 0.7%, and 0.7% of the market respectively. “Australians have not just returned to cruising, they’ve come back with enormous enthusiasm and at a faster pace than in other markets worldwide,” said Managing Director Joel Katz (pictured). “Australia has long been one of the world’s most passionate cruise source markets, and these figures confirm an enduring love for cruising among Australian travellers,” he said. Katz said although demand for cruising is strong, close collaboration from Australian governments and ports is needed to support the sustainability of cruise tourism in the future. “To maintain our position as a leading destination and meet demand, it’s crucial that regulatory frameworks and port charges remain internationally competitive,” he said. “Balanced regulation and reasonable costs are fundamental to fostering a thriving cruise sector capable of contributing significantly to the Australian economy,” Katz added. MS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Interesting, Damn statistics hey

My Dad always said, "there is statistics, and statistics, and damned lies".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Interesting video, although I agree you can probably get anything out of statistics that you want.

So if the Aus market is growing very slowly why are ships disappearing from the market? Being replaced by bigger ships and less of them?

I don't think much of that Icon of the Seas full stop but now this bloke reckons they don't have enough lifeboats, just life rafts?? Accident waiting to happen. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I think the original quote is "lies, damn lies and statistics". Attributed to Mark Twain. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Interesting, Damn statistics hey

Yep, shorter cruises equals more cruises equals more passengers. A couple of extra players in 2023 helped that along a bit too.

CLIA are good for a stat. They used to pump the climbing numbers of Aussie passengers, and us being the most cruised per capita in the world. Now they have found a different stat to push, which is great for 2023, but will fall away in 2024.

The key reason for pumping a stat is all detailed in the last paragraph - the industry lobby is lobbying for better facilities (I applaud) and cheaper port charges. Costs for all land based tourism in Australia are going through the roof, yet the cruise line association wants to lower costs for cruise lines.

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If I was in the same position I would want things cheaper as well.

That is true, but it feels like they are sitting on a street corner with a cardboard sign.

Ten years ago, CLIA was respected and constructive as they were lobbying to open-up Australian ports to offer more variety for cruise lines to sell to their overseas markets. As with this past week of Royal's "new" offerings, passenger lament is about the lack of anything new, not the cost of port charges. We will still cruise domestically to keep our toes wet and escape for a few days.

As for Australians have not just returned to cruising, they’ve come back with enormous enthusiasm and at a faster pace than in other markets worldwide, it could have something to do with being shut down longer with massive credits in our pockets that needed to be redeemed in 2023. With less ships here next summer, it would seem that we are now losing enthusiasm at just as fast a pace. Not the fault of the cruise lines or CLIA, but we are now in a spend-less economy. Grudgingly, I might accept that booking cruises may not be essential spending.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think the original quote is "lies, damn lies and statistics". Attributed to Mark Twain. 

Your right, my old brain is loosing it.🤣

13 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Not forgetting:  "People use statistics as a drunk uses a lamppost — for support rather than illumination"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

Now for some decent ships. Though I would be happier with better pricing for overseas cruise departures.

Define decent ships. It varies depending on personal tastes. We like smaller shops, other people like the big ones.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Define decent ships. It varies depending on personal tastes. We like smaller shops, other people like the big ones.

Well when its basically PO sailing out of Melbourne from next year and not much else then there is quite a bit of scope. I like the smaller ships too. However, the main stream cruiselines are not building smaller ships so you have to look towards boutique cruiselines and then comes $$$ per night. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Interesting video, although I agree you can probably get anything out of statistics that you want.

So if the Aus market is growing very slowly why are ships disappearing from the market? Being replaced by bigger ships and less of them?

I don't think much of that Icon of the Seas full stop but now this bloke reckons they don't have enough lifeboats, just life rafts?? Accident waiting to happen. 🙄

We were on Edge last year and the captain said there aren't enough lifeboats for the number of people on board, but with the addition of rafts, there's plenty of space. He said it is the same for most ships nowadays.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Why does the name Titanic come to mind???

Probably because of the lack of life boats, but it could also be because it is your favourite cruise disaster film. Just guessing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It is true, most cruise ships's lifeboats only cater for around 1/3 to 1/2 of the people aboard. Life rafts make up for the rest.

Well I never knew that. I thought they probably had a few as a previous safety demo on Princess used to mention a few people would have to go down the shute! but I figured being a senior citizen I wouldn't be one of them. Now I think I should be practising on a water slide if I come across one just in case!

Seriously, I just think the bigger the ship the more life rafts they probably have and there would be almighty chaos on the Icon if passengers did have to abandon ship in any sort of hurry. if you are in a suite to do get first choice of life boat? How have they got that worked out? I always assumed I'd be put in one of the tenders. They don't tell you any of that. Perhaps its best not to know until it happens. The reason I thought I'd be in a tender was that when I was on HAL a few years back they actually marched you out to the lifeboat you would get into if something happened. Now I don't know what to think!?

5 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Seriously, I just think the bigger the ship the more life rafts they probably have and there would be almighty chaos on the Icon if passengers did have to abandon ship in any sort of hurry. if you are in a suite to do get first choice of life boat?

Icon of the Seas would be unsinkable, rendering any lifeboats or rafts necessary only to comply with current laws.

5 minutes ago, colourbird said:

Icon of the Seas would be unsinkable, rendering any lifeboats or rafts necessary only to comply with current laws.

Where have I heard that before? 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

if you are in a suite to do get first choice of life boat?

Undoubtedly not. Having a sense of entitlement because you paid more than the peasants in steerage is unlikely to be the criteria used in evacuating people in a major emergency.

• Like 1