Park 19 on the Sun Princess

6 hours ago, levonfan said:

On board. No activity. Sucks 

IMG_6995.dng 62.8 MB · 6 downloads

Are the swimming pools not open? Kids clubs? 
I’ve read that there’s lots of activities in the main area (like Zumba & game show type stuff). Are they still offering those things? Maybe just not first day? Or have you been in for a while?

2 hours ago, Kit6 said:

Are the swimming pools not open? Kids clubs? 
I’ve read that there’s lots of activities in the main area (like Zumba & game show type stuff). Are they still offering those things? Maybe just not first day? Or have you been in for a while?

Yes, all the pools are open, kids clubs are running, all the usual activities, 3.producution shows up and running, all three Dome shows up, comedians, trivia, bingo, deal or no deal,ngane shows, and so forth.

The only thing not open as yet is the ropes course, slides and roll glider thing. The activity court area, large connect 4 and Cornhole, seating, etc is all open at Park 19.. can't speak to the tolt wall thing, have t seen any mention yet of that one but seriously - how much of a day would that realistically fill - 5, 10 minutes of looking out the tilted window?  

Otherwise, all the other venues are open and running as expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, all the pools are open, kids clubs are running, all the usual activities, 3.producution shows up and running, all three Dome shows up, comedians, trivia, bingo, deal or no deal,ngane shows, and so forth.

The only thing not open as yet is the ropes course, slides and roll glider thing. The activity court area, large connect 4 and Cornhole, seating, etc is all open at Park 19.. can't speak to the tolt wall thing, have t seen any mention yet of that one but seriously - how much of a day would that realistically fill - 5, 10 minutes of looking out the tilted window?  

Otherwise, all the other venues are open and running as expected.

Thanks! Sounds like there’s lots to do. Hopefully the ropes course is running soon but even without it, I’m sure we’ll have lots of family fun!

Unfortunately, Princess has almost completely removed any mention of Park 19 from their website advertising from what I can see - see for yourself at Princess.com booking a future cruise. This tells me they will not be opening it at all. Also since they will rename everything as "Sanctuary Suites" soon -  wasn't the potential noise a problem with that area? Maybe that will be a good excuse to remove the glider. There must have been some sort of technical safety issue making it unusable. I suspect this is going to really hit the Caribbean trips the hardest, as at least in Europe, hey, you are touring around Europe most of the time. They must be keeping a low profile as to not welcome cancellations from trips that are still within that timeframe. Maybe on the transatlantic trip they are planning on doing something else with the space? I am no expert on engineering, but I wonder if they could make the entire roller glider a giant slide of some sort. Turn the ropes course into a bunch of rock climbing walls? I'm sure corporate is taking all proposals for the remodel / removal of this attraction. Obviously a huge bummer, and more so a giant eye sore for those paying full price with children on board. It would be fair to offer passengers some sort of relief and to be frank with those within the cancellation period. Anyway, to those who are bummed out, best to make the best of it. It could be worse! Your kids could have had an accident on an unsafe attraction and ended up in the water. August 3rd in a Sky Suite - see you on board!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ResearchMandela said:

Unfortunately, Princess has almost completely removed any mention of Park 19 from their website advertising from what I can see - see for yourself at Princess.com booking a future cruise. This tells me they will not be opening it at all. Also since they will rename everything as "Sanctuary Suites" soon -  wasn't the potential noise a problem with that area? Maybe that will be a good excuse to remove the glider. There must have been some sort of technical safety issue making it unusable. I suspect this is going to really hit the Caribbean trips the hardest, as at least in Europe, hey, you are touring around Europe most of the time. They must be keeping a low profile as to not welcome cancellations from trips that are still within that timeframe. Maybe on the transatlantic trip they are planning on doing something else with the space? I am no expert on engineering, but I wonder if they could make the entire roller glider a giant slide of some sort. Turn the ropes course into a bunch of rock climbing walls? I'm sure corporate is taking all proposals for the remodel / removal of this attraction. Obviously a huge bummer, and more so a giant eye sore for those paying full price with children on board. It would be fair to offer passengers some sort of relief and to be frank with those within the cancellation period. Anyway, to those who are bummed out, best to make the best of it. It could be worse! Your kids could have had an accident on an unsafe attraction and ended up in the water. August 3rd in a Sky Suite - see you on board!

Wow, that’s very interesting - good pickup on that it was removed from the site! Hopefully if it can’t be opened up, they quickly switch it over to something else. Harder for people to see something they can’t play on than if it was removed/changed to a usable activity space. I have 4 kids, we were all looking forward to trying it out but I’d definitely rather not have it than have one of them injured! Truth be told, we were never super focused on it. It was just a cool thing we were excited to try but we are going for the cruise, for the excursions & some family togetherness. Whether park 19 is up & running or even still there, won’t make or break our cruise. 

Thanks for the information & your opinion on this!

• Like 1

We're booked for winter Carib. DH will be bummed, as he likes all that active stuff. I'm hoping they'll get approvals or revamp with something else. I am waiting to hear how great all the other entertainment/venues are, as we don't care about special elite sanctuaries, etc. We want an active, fun (but not crazy) cruise. I also feel badly for those with older kids/ young adults--but it's very port intensive in Europe, so it might not matter as much as Carib. with more sea days. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ResearchMandela said:

Princess has almost completely removed any mention of Park 19 from their website advertising from what I can see - see for yourself at Princess.com

I can't even find a deck plan for Sun Princess right now. When you click on the link for the deck plan, it takes you to an overview of the ship with no deck plan option.

We're booked in a Vista Suite over Thanksgiving and will be traveling without with our 10 and 8 year old kids. 

I'm hopeful they will open the slides at a minimum, but we will have a great cruise no matter what is open. 

We did the Celebrity Ascent over Christmas last year and even with no slides they had a great time (as did the other 700 kids on the ship).

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I can't even find a deck plan for Sun Princess right now. When you click on the link for the deck plan, it takes you to an overview of the ship with no deck plan option.

I can still see Park19 on decks 19, 20, and 21 of the plans.

11 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

We're booked for winter Carib. DH will be bummed, as he likes all that active stuff. I'm hoping they'll get approvals or revamp with something else. I am waiting to hear how great all the other entertainment/venues are, as we don't care about special elite sanctuaries, etc. We want an active, fun (but not crazy) cruise. I also feel badly for those with older kids/ young adults--but it's very port intensive in Europe, so it might not matter as much as Carib. with more sea days. 

There might be something even better there by then. A cruise is what you make of it,  and a positive attitude goes a long way. It's not like Princess is doing this on purpose. They want us to have a fantastic time no matter what. I'm sure they are revamping their family model intensely right now, especially for the Caribbean cruise timeframe as I suspect a younger crowd would travel there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ResearchMandela said:

Seems like your post is 100% pure speculation on your part and nothing else.  

The Sun will not be in the Caribbean until October and they still have 3 months of European sailings in order to get things set up properly.  

• Like 1

it is interesting that Princess removed reference to Park 19 from the site, also interesting that the pages for the Sun and Star are completely different in format/look and feel to the rest of the site. A preview of larger site redesign coming?  But I would also say if so they jumped the gun on launching the pages for a variety of reasons - that's all I'll say there so as to not hijack the thread.

Wonder if they will add the Park 19 details once they get the needed certifications to open the glider.  I can't/wouldn't believe they are scrapping it.

5 hours ago, deltaqueenie said:

Does anyone know if there is pickleball on the SUN? Is it part of Park 19? We’re booked on SEP23-OCT9 Transatlantic with 8 straight days at sea…

Previous passengers have reported no pickleball on Sun Princess.

Posted (edited)

We're currently on a Mediterranean cruise and I happened to meet a captain of a Princess ship that is currently home and talked to them for a couple hours. 

I was respectful to not pry too deeply but I did ask about Park 19 and they were very confident it would be opening and told us we didn't need to worry about it being closed over our Thanksgiving cruise.

I didn't get a specific date for opening but the worries about it being scrapped seem unfounded. 

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2024 at 4:28 AM, dides said:

Previous passengers have reported no pickleball on Sun Princess.

dides,

Thanks for your info, let’s hope by SEP they’ve decided to have pickleball!

Well that’s blown my plan this August of going on the glide roller the day we are supposed to be in Kotor, having only been informed by Princess on embarkation day that we are going to Bar instead 🙄

We are booked on Sun Christmas cruise 12/21-12/28/24. Booked 5 cabins, 6 adults and 5 children ages 6-10. Originally wanted the Icon of the Sea, but couldn't get cabins next to each other. My agent suggested the Sun as brand new and Park 19 was what sealed the deal.

My wife and I have been on 60+ cruise, Princess included but several years ago. Our lasting impression was good for older rather than younger and not for young kids. So if Park 19 is not fully open Princess should make it known and options should be offered. Like cancelling with no penalty, major discounts, real upgrades, specialty restaurants etc. I'm spending ALOT of money on 11 of us and deserve honesty! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ja940 said:

We are booked on Sun Christmas cruise 12/21-12/28/24. Booked 5 cabins, 6 adults and 5 children ages 6-10. Originally wanted the Icon of the Sea, but couldn't get cabins next to each other. My agent suggested the Sun as brand new and Park 19 was what sealed the deal.

My wife and I have been on 60+ cruise, Princess included but several years ago. Our lasting impression was good for older rather than younger and not for young kids. So if Park 19 is not fully open Princess should make it known and options should be offered. Like cancelling with no penalty, major discounts, real upgrades, specialty restaurants etc. I'm spending ALOT of money on 11 of us and deserve honesty! 

hypothetically, of course .... IF Princess sent you an email stating you can/should cancel NOW without penalty, or take your chances on Park 19 being open, and if not, there will be NO compensation in any form ... whatcha gonna do?

After a meeting with the kids make a decision. Realistically probably stay with the Sun as it will be impossible to get all the cabins together on another cruise. But its not right!