First Oceania Cruise...21 Days on Regatta...No Thanks...Back to Celebrity

Just now, ak1004 said:

And yet the future cruise office was always packed with long lines. The only crowded place on the whole ship.

Btw this was not the case on our recent SS cruise..

Sure but again you are dealing with a self selecting population taking advantage of the special terms for booking on board. If I was looking at booking another Oceanis cruise I would certainly book on board.

Like many other things it has its niche and some really like it, and some do not.

• Like 1

We are looking forward to a relaxing cruise.  We don’t drink, hubby won’t dance and we just enjoy people watching.  Looking forward to 10 days in a PH on the renovated Marina.  Space is important to us since we do spend a lot of time in our cabin.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to read you perspective.    We all experience a cruise in a different way and enjoy life differently.

We have sailed Celebrity exclusively for 23 years in upper suite and so looking forward to our First Oceania Cruise in September.    Even though we hit Double Zenith on the cruise we are now on -   Since January I have booked 1 Celebrity,  2 Oceania, 2 Silversea and 2 Cunard

Even though we have not sailed Oceania yet I really believe they will be our new cruise line of choice, mostly due to the warmth of the members of this thread and so many Celebrity Refugee recommendations.

Good luck. May you find it to your liking.

If you like country club social gatherings that is the closest analogy I can come up with. We enjoy them every so often for a few hours, not so much for 21 days.

• Like 1

Our first cruise was on Celebrity back in 2000. We loved the activities and entertainment, but my husband wasn't a fan of the main dining room fare and we both dislike buffets. Did some cruises with Crystal (pre-bankruptcy) and he liked the food and service much more, but we both agreed the activity level was a little too low-key for us. Have sailed with Windstar (too few dining options), Princess (too mass market and so-so food), Azamara (great itineraries but too few activities and dining venues), and I've done Royal Caribbean (but he hasn't).

Overall, we have yet to find the perfect cruise line for us. Oceania has our business right now for the itineraries and food, and we suck it up about the lack of strong entertainment in the evening--we fell like the whole ship is in bed by 10pm. 

• Like 2

Spotty internet, hard to reply. Let’s just say Oceania is not for everyone. There are some issues, but I don’t think it’s as bad as what’s being made out. If you need to be entertained then Oceania is not for you. If you are ok with your own company then you’ll be fine. But it’s obvious the product is not what it was 5 years ago. 

BUT, the sameness of the daily activities is pretty much what it’s been for the past 15 years. If that is an issue then you would never have liked it. This is not Celebrity, Princess, Hal, Royal or NCL. It’s low key, yes the demographic skews older, but there is a mix. 

Things are getting better as the cruise progresses. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Spotty internet, hard to reply. Let’s just say Oceania is not for everyone. There are some issues, but I don’t think it’s as bad as what’s being made out. If you need to be entertained then Oceania is not for you. If you are ok with your own company then you’ll be fine. But it’s obvious the product is not what it was 5 years ago. 

BUT, the sameness of the daily activities is pretty much what it’s been for the past 15 years. If that is an issue then you would never have liked it. This is not Celebrity, Princess, Hal, Royal or NCL. It’s low key, yes the demographic skews older, but there is a mix. 

Things are getting better as the cruise progresses. 

Agree 100% with your assessment of entertainment and activities.

Except for those areas, what is not the same as 5 years ago?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Agree 100% with your assessment of entertainment and activities.

Except for those areas, what is not the same as 5 years ago?

Let me get back with you when I have a better internet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have done a lot of homework on Oceania; first cruise isn’t until May, 2025.  My thoughts are consistently changing, but a clearer picture is forthcoming.  Will this be the first and last, or a more formidable relationship in the making?  Honestly, I have no idea, but that’s where my leap of faith begins.  It will be a unique experience, on a much smaller and newer ship.  Also, it will get us from point A to B without flying.  The price was very good for a PH, not to mention sometimes one just has to venture out into another cruise line and personally see what happens.  Entertainment is not necessary for us, but nice if appealing.  Food is always subjective.  My DH and I are anything but the norm, so there is no way I can predict what will happen; however, it will give us the opportunity for growth and possibly a very nice and relaxing cruise.  If not, spending time in Portugal, especially Algarve, should be an excellent experience, hiking the trails near the coast.  

So, I cannot get a decent iced-coffee?  How about iced-tea?  Does O have half and half, or can we bring it onboard?  Just a few little questions...   

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I have done a lot of homework on Oceania; first cruise isn’t until May, 2025.  My thoughts are consistently changing, but a clearer picture is forthcoming.  Will this be the first and last, or a more formidable relationship in the making?  Honestly, I have no idea, but that’s where my leap of faith begins.  It will be a unique experience, on a much smaller and newer ship.  Also, it will get us from point A to B without flying.  The price was very good for a PH, not to mention sometimes one just has to venture out into another cruise line and personally see what happens.  Entertainment is not necessary for us, but nice if appealing.  Food is always subjective.  My DH and I are anything but the norm, so there is no way I can predict what will happen; however, it will give us the opportunity for growth and possibly a very nice and relaxing cruise.  If not, spending time in Portugal, especially Algarve, should be an excellent experience, hiking the trails near the coast.  

So, I cannot get a decent iced-coffee?  How about iced-tea?  Does O have half and half, or can we bring it onboard?  Just a few little questions...   

Th answers vary by which ship you are sailing on....let us now and you will receive more specific answers but we have had iced tea, iced coffee and know there is 1/2 and 1/2 available onboard..we have sailed on all 6 of the current ships,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim,  elite plus on X.  X got too boring and crowded.  In 2022 we sailed on Summit. It was my favorite X ship. The crowding was awful. We stopped booking X. We prefer Oceania.  We like the variety of ships.  We sailed on Oceania before and after pandemic.  With the exception of our March 2020 cruise stuck at sea, we enjoy the cruises.  Hope to meet you onboard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, anonymousegirl said:

Our first cruise was on Celebrity back in 2000. We loved the activities and entertainment, but my husband wasn't a fan of the main dining room fare and we both dislike buffets. Did some cruises with Crystal (pre-bankruptcy) and he liked the food and service much more, but we both agreed the activity level was a little too low-key for us. Have sailed with Windstar (too few dining options), Princess (too mass market and so-so food), Azamara (great itineraries but too few activities and dining venues), and I've done Royal Caribbean (but he hasn't).

Overall, we have yet to find the perfect cruise line for us. Oceania has our business right now for the itineraries and food, and we suck it up about the lack of strong entertainment in the evening--we fell like the whole ship is in bed by 10pm. 

We are guilty of being in bed by 9 and missing most shows on any cruise we go on. And we are 56 and 49. Sigh, we are part of the problem. 😸

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

On Regatta about a third of those working the coffee bar did not have a clue what an iced mocha was and give the deer in headlights look. For those that recognized it, each one made it differently. All using nestle cocoa packet for the mocha component  Some better than others but none very good.

Never tried to get iced tea.

Strangest thing was they seemed to be constantly rotating people through the coffee bar. It was like it was an extra duty for Bar tenders and servers, instead of having a couple of people doing it as their main job. Never knew who was going to be working there from one hour to the next. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TRLD said:

On Regatta about a third of those working the coffee bar did not have a clue what an iced mocha was and give the deer in headlights look. For those that recognized it, each one made it differently. All using nestle cocoa packet for the mocha component  Some better than others but none very good.

Never tried to get iced tea.

Strangest thing was they seemed to be constantly rotating people through the coffee bar. It was like it was an extra duty for Bar tenders and servers, instead of having a couple of people doing it as their main job. Never knew who was going to be working there from one hour to the next. 

You will find a big difference between Baristas on the smaller R ships and on Marina, Riviera and Vista where is a very large dedicate space with the same full tine baristas serving...ice tea is available in all dining venues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:19 AM, Psoque said:

Since the pricing of Oceania cruises are typically higher than that of Celebrity/HAL/Princess, etc., often overlapping with those offered by the lines more known for a real luxury experience, I think it is completely reasonable for a newcomer to expect a much higher level of service on an Oceania cruise, especially in their dining rooms.  In our experience last November, we thought Oceania did a very poor job in their dining rooms.  We don’t know if this was a fluke, or maybe all cruise lines are struggling with a huge influx of new workers.  But as long as Oceania wants to differentiate itself from Celebrity/HAL/Princess, they need to work on more consistent dining service.

True.   Last year we sailed Marina for the first time.   I think we went in with higher expectations given the "best food at sea".   Not that I am saying the food is bad at all.   But a lot of it caters more to my sister's taste than to mine (ie. French - duck, coc au vin, pate, etc), cannot talk to R class, but at least on Marina we had plenty of specialty restaurants and we only once weren't able to get in (and that just because we don't eat as late as their seating opening).   But I will say this, if it's relevant - we discussed the food with some long-time Oceania travelers.   They said it was good, but not as good as pre-Covid.   I fear it's going to take a few more years before any of the cruise lines feel sufficient need to return to pre-Covid levels.   I hope to be proven wrong.  BTW, it was better than HAL or Princess, which we have also sailed post-Covid.   And I also enjoyed the Illy.  

But I do agree:  I book a ship for the itinerary/ports and if I can get that timeframe off work.   I personally would never sail Oceania for routine routes such as Alaska or Caribbean.   To me it just isn't worth the extra expense.   But we would (and will) sail them again in the future.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

But I do agree:  I book a ship for the itinerary/ports

3 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

We are guilty of being in bed by 9 and missing most shows on any cruise we go on. And we are 56 and 49. Sigh, we are part of the problem. 😸

We have no need to have a preferred cruise line but don't fancy sailing with thousands of other people so O, SB, RSSC have been our go to and we have a couple booked on SS.

Like @90scruzer We use the ship as transport to places we want to see so huge suites/cabins/rooms (choose your buzzword 😁) aren't necessary, don't want or need a butler, one or two sea days max is enough as is 2 weeks onboard. And, because we spend our days hiking or cycling or kayaking, like @CptBoatface says we go to bed relatively early (although usually still eating dinner at 9pm 😜😜) so entertainment until 11pm ish is fine. We don't need to be BFFs with the senior crew but do enjoy chatting with the crew who look after us, we don't choose to share tables but enjoy chatting with those around us, whatever their age 😁 We do like our food and a nice glass of wine or 3 so that is important to us.

We don't necessarily believe the reviews of people who thought everything was dreadful anymore than the reviews of people who think that 'their' cruise line is the best thing since sliced bread and feel any utterance that contradicts their view is sacrilegious 😜 but we do enjoy reading others views so we know what to look for and maybe what to avoid.

So thank you to everyone who posts on these boards - they definitely make interesting reading.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

True.   Last year we sailed Marina for the first time.   I think we went in with higher expectations given the "best food at sea".   Not that I am saying the food is bad at all.   But a lot of it caters more to my sister's taste than to mine (ie. French - duck, coc au vin, pate, etc), cannot talk to R class, but at least on Marina we had plenty of specialty restaurants and we only once weren't able to get in (and that just because we don't eat as late as their seating opening).   But I will say this, if it's relevant - we discussed the food with some long-time Oceania travelers.   They said it was good, but not as good as pre-Covid.   I fear it's going to take a few more years before any of the cruise lines feel sufficient need to return to pre-Covid levels.   I hope to be proven wrong.  BTW, it was better than HAL or Princess, which we have also sailed post-Covid.   And I also enjoyed the Illy.  

But I do agree:  I book a ship for the itinerary/ports and if I can get that timeframe off work.   I personally would never sail Oceania for routine routes such as Alaska or Caribbean.   To me it just isn't worth the extra expense.   But we would (and will) sail them again in the future.     

Sadly I think you will be proven wrong but not in a positive way.  The cruise lines have plenty of money to spend.  The reduction in costs at this point is a result of full cabins.  If you can raise your prices, cut your costs and still have fill cabins, you have zero incentive to change.  The changes will only come when bookings begin to drop  

Let's not forget that NCL holdings just spent billions on new ships.  Money is available,  they're just making a business decision on how they invest it.

Quite honestly,  it's the same false narrative the airlines used after 911, the 2008 recession and during covid. They got rid of meals, charged baggage fees and increased all kinds of other fees.  It was forgiven because they "needed the revenue to survive".  And now that they're having record revenues and profits,  they simply increase their fees and change their frequent flier programs to generate more revenue.   It's perfectly fine, they're a business and can do what they want.  But please don't be mistaken that you need to be altruistic to them or accept lower standards.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Sadly I think you will be proven wrong but not in a positive way.  The cruise lines have plenty of money to spend.  The reduction in costs at this point is a result of full cabins.  If you can raise your prices, cut your costs and still have fill cabins, you have zero incentive to change.  The changes will only come when bookings begin to drop  

Let's not forget that NCL holdings just spent billions on new ships.  Money is available,  they're just making a business decision on how they invest it.

Quite honestly,  it's the same false narrative the airlines used after 911, the 2008 recession and during covid. They got rid of meals, charged baggage fees and increased all kinds of other fees.  It was forgiven because they "needed the revenue to survive".  And now that they're having record revenues and profits,  they simply increase their fees and change their frequent flier programs to generate more revenue.   It's perfectly fine, they're a business and can do what they want.  But please don't be mistaken that you need to be altruistic to them or accept lower standards.  

Looks like you may have hit the nail on the head!

Just wondering how long it will be before the pent up urge to travel and the cruise credits run their course because then we will see the ‘true’ pricing of cruising!

Edited by Vallesan

13 hours ago, basor said:

Th answers vary by which ship you are sailing on....let us now and you will receive more specific answers but we have had iced tea, iced coffee and know there is 1/2 and 1/2 available onboard..we have sailed on all 6 of the current ships,

We are on Vista, so hopefully iced-coffee and half and half!  Thank you!

6 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

The problem with airlines is that the only two choices are to accept higher prices or not to fly. Of course it's different with cruising, but don't forget that everything is more expensive now. I checked a few hotels in Europe that we booked pre Covid, prices are now 50-70% higher. Same for restaurants and pretty much everything. So while in theory you have many choices, practically this is not the case.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 9:37 PM, durberville said:

*sighs. Thanks for the honest review but man o man am I bummed. Have booked our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta for October (25 days). Sounds like it will be a floating nursing home with poor food. I convinced my husband to try this line since we’ve become disillusioned with Celebrity. Full of regret now. 😟

we're also on Regatta in October, I'm looking forward to it still. We were on Cunard's QE in 2022, read some dreadful reviews before we went, and we had a fabulous time. We'll keep the party going! 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 1:37 PM, durberville said:

*sighs. Thanks for the honest review but man o man am I bummed. Have booked our first Oceania cruise on the Regatta for October (25 days). Sounds like it will be a floating nursing home with poor food. I convinced my husband to try this line since we’ve become disillusioned with Celebrity. Full of regret now. 😟

The food was actually fine to very good. The service is excellant.  If you have a veranda room, you may be shocked at the bathroom size, but it’s good for an amusing story,  it will work out. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, judi666 said:

The food was actually fine to very good. The service is excellant.  If you have a veranda room, you may be shocked at the bathroom size, but it’s good for an amusing story,  it will work out. 

Are you still on board? Saw a lady last night that looked just like your picture. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Sadly I think you will be proven wrong but not in a positive way

yes. I'm an optimist.   just like I keep hoping US airlines either stop with 1st class pricing or step away from RyanAir tactics.   it insults me to fly these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

we're also on Regatta in October, I'm looking forward to it still. We were on Cunard's QE in 2022, read some dreadful reviews before we went, and we had a fabulous time. We'll keep the party going! 

I want to second this ... just go in without the sky-high expectations and you will love the food.   if you don't like the menu in MDR, even at the buffet you can have made to order seafood/steak.   You won't go hungry.   I was just commenting that not all of it is my cup of tea.  But I never had issues finding good to excellent food.   

• Like 1